Iron Man mark 2 faceplate; exterior writing?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've just finished the interior of my faceplate and I'm going out to get some yellow and white grease pencils to write his notes on it. I've seen some pretty good pics while doing a search here of Stark holding it up to his face. Though you can see all kinds of writing and registration marks, has anybody been able to decipher what all his notes actually say?

I've just finished the interior of my faceplate and I'm going out to get some yellow and white grease pencils to write his notes on it. I've seen some pretty good pics while doing a search here of Stark holding it up to his face. Though you can see all kinds of writing and registration marks, has anybody been able to decipher what all his notes actually say?

I was going to use greas pencils as well but ended up painting the letters on. I was unsure if I could wipe the grease pencil off easily if I made a mistake or if it wiped off accidentally. Let me know how it works.

As for the writing, Vash and I have deciphered everything but the top left and left cheek. I improvised ont he top left, waiting to decipher the left cheek...

IMG_7837.jpg

I'll pist some pics this evening. BTW, when you say you painted the leters on, did you just do it freehand with a brush or did you use some sort of paint pen?

I'll pist some pics this evening. BTW, when you say you painted the leters on, did you just do it freehand with a brush or did you use some sort of paint pen?

Free hand. I bought a couple of paint pens but they leak too much and the tip is usually too wide to write clean and small.

I can't wait to see the pics!

Brad

:lol

Sorry, bro. Got a little busy last night working on another project. I promise I'll take some pics tonight. Just remember, mine doesn't look quite as fancy as yours. However, yours was the inspiration for making mine. :thumbsup

:lol

Sorry, bro. Got a little busy last night working on another project. I promise I'll take some pics tonight. Just remember, mine doesn't look quite as fancy as yours. However, yours was the inspiration for making mine. :thumbsup

Hey thanks for the compliment! I just like to see how other people interperate the mask. I wait with baited breathe!

Brad

Finally started my kit tonight, just doing all the sanding and flashing etc.

I never know how far to sand the edges, before I start eating into what is actually part of the sculpt.

The inside is pretty bumpy, i'm wondering if I should sand it flat, any advice???

RV

:(

Me sad. No pics...

Brad

I had a few lumps inside mine of "settled resin" and I sanded it down a bit, but after you install the interior net backing and all the greeblies, you won't see the lumps at all.

Brad

Finally started my kit tonight, just doing all the sanding and flashing etc.

I never know how far to sand the edges, before I start eating into what is actually part of the sculpt.

The inside is pretty bumpy, i'm wondering if I should sand it flat, any advice???

RV

The black rubber matting should cover most of that. Plus, when you put all the crap in there you won't even notice. When it's finished it will look pretty busy. Something to remember, though. This is not a flat piece. Several pieces will need to be heat formed to hug the walls. I simply dropped each piece into boiling water for 30 seconds then hand formed them inside the mask. If you're going to use this process and have never done it before, you will want to wear thick gloves while forming as the pieces will be very hot when you pull them from the water. Also, it won't take long at all for the resin pieces to soften up. If you leave it in boiling water longer than a minute or two you're going to have a mess on your hands so work fast.

Okay, I think mine is about ready for showing though it's not 100% ready. Let me go charge my camera, stand by.
Jedifyfe, did you make those brass etchings by hand or were those found pieces? I really like those! :love

Last edited:
Jedifyfe, did you make those brass etchings by hand or were those found pieces? I really like those! :love

I cut them out of styrene by hand. NOT FUN! To cut styrene that thin, it starts to bend and twist while cutting. I was going to look for real etched brass pieces OR a model kit that may have something that would look similar.

And FJ is correst about molding the interior pieces. It's not hard just hot on the bare hands/fingers.

Waiting for pics :love...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back