Iron Man Helmet Hinge System

kylelevy123

Hello RPF world, I just wanted to make this thread an updated Iron Man helmet hinge system thread. Here, you can post your thoughts and ideas of different hinge systems that work or even ones that don't. Please, post your pictures of a hinge system that you did or maybe someone else did. And if you can, describe how you did it and maybe do a little tutorial. I know that there are others out there who are wondering the same thing I am, "How do I get this to work?" Please feel free to comment! Thanks!

I've noticed since joining this site that alot of people like to keep their motorised faceplate/hinge systems secret.

I've noticed XROBOTS has a detailed video on how to set up the motoro/hinge system in the helmet.

Flexible hinges are not new , and go back many hundreds of years, , I have built suit of armour before, and mostly they use this type of hinge to open and close their helmets, essentially it's two hinges mounted on a ridged plate, one edge of one hinge touching the edge of the other, each hinge is at one end of the plate, one hinge edge fixes to the helmet and the other to the faceplate because of the ridged plate. You have a hinge system which now moves in two directions, upwards and back . All you now need to do is fix a servo and controller plus power supply into your helmet, add flexible joint connectors, to both ends of a pivot rod about 5" long, one end of the rod fixes to the servo (arm) mounted in your helmet and the other end of the rod , with the flexible joint fixing to the faceplate. (( the servos , connecting joints rods etc can all be bought at you local R/C hobby store )) Connect power to your servo , press the controller button , the servo moves the arm , the arm pushes the rod. and your helmet opens and moves up and back.
As there is a spare arm on the servo, you could use another rod to do the same to the lower jaw - now your helmet opens like a clam shell !!
I put this hinge design into public domain over 15 years ago , its nice to see others use it , it is the easiest hinge system to use in the world , I recommend it to ALL !!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back