Iron man helmet build gone wrong, questions

Djstorm100

This is my 4th helmet and while part of me wants to give up I must push on! This is sharkmarks helmet and in trying to motorized it but I keep getting the scale wrong. You would figure by the 4th build I would have it right but nope. I've include some pictures and curious if any body could help me in the scale part. I need about another .5-.75inch to comfortable out the servo where I want( experimenting) other options too (chin) I could do it the easy way and use default scale but those helmets are sooo big!

I screwed up on some of the fiberglass as it does not lay flat. I learn alot of lesson an will apply them on the next helmet but I must get scale right this time. Worst case I run cables and put the servos remotely somewhere else.

Can I use rondo instead of fiberglass? If I use a big fiber sheet vs smaller overlapping squares will it be just as strong ?

Here are the pictures, current scale is .965

ugu5u2aq.jpg

qu8udyny.jpg

usy5egyj.jpg

gu3u9ehu.jpg

amaqe4ah.jpg

aranyvyz.jpg

This is comparing .965 to .97 ( tester?
by7ybe9y.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371243396.440738.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371243396.440738.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 122
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371243442.055369.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371243442.055369.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 130
I'm total noob to this, but let me give it a shot. Just flame me if im totally off base. But why not finish up the helm and mold it. If you mold and cast it wont it give you the clearance you need. Seeing as it wont have all the layers of bondo and fiber glass. Iono just brain storming haha.

I'm total noob to this, but let me give it a shot. Just flame me if im totally off base. But why not finish up the helm and mold it. If you mold and cast it wont it give you the clearance you need. Seeing as it wont have all the layers of bondo and fiber glass. Iono just brain storming haha.

Thats correct actually, and since there are lots of layers of bondo to it, I think that will increase the size of the helm when you finish pulling out your first cast

It was my understanding that you made the helmet to the size you need and then mold it( mold being a negate of the helemt. When you place fiberglass on the inside of the mold this would give you the size you once had with the oringal or close to it

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back