Iron Man armor painting tips?

cofphoto

So I purchased a full Iron Man suit from R.A.W. and it'll be here in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping to have it ready in time for the AoU premiere (it's the Mk 43). I've painted resin Cap helmets and some EVA foam things that I've made myself but I'm still pretty new at this. Since this is a much bigger and more expensive project, I want it to look as good as possible.

I know there are a million threads in here about Iron Man suits and painting. I'm just asking if you guys have any quick pointers that might help. Maybe some trick that I don't know about, etc.

The armor has been coated with 5 layers of acrylic emulsion and is supposed to be ready for prime / paint when it arrives.

ANY tips at all would be most appreciated. Thank you!

here is a photo of the armor, it's shipping out today!
961660_819398838134242_1948979018_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was told it's ready to be primed and painted. I sent him a PM to ask a little more details. He's in Manilla so might be a little while before I hear back from him.

Did you hear any replies from him yet? I tried messaging him but it took him 17 hours to respond back with "Hi here"

And then proceeded to never respond again. I get that he's busy, but I was online at the same time he was when he replied. How long did it take for him to get back to you and fill out your order?

When it arrives test an inconspicuous area first with primer to see if holds to the outside or seeps in. If it's not sealed properly you'll want to take care of that first. Otherwise spray paint as normal. For even more durability you can coat the outside with products like Smooth-On's XTC-3D to give it a hard shell

Did you hear any replies from him yet? I tried messaging him but it took him 17 hours to respond back with "Hi here"

And then proceeded to never respond again. I get that he's busy, but I was online at the same time he was when he replied. How long did it take for him to get back to you and fill out your order?

He's in Manilla and I'm in San Diego but he has always responded within 24 hours. We've been online at the same time and had some chats. Clearly the guy does amazing work, I can't wait to see it in person.

Last edited:
A big box full of Iron Man just arrived. Holy crap I am speechless. I know you guys know how to do this stuff with foam but I'm just blown away. How anyone makes something this beautiful out of foam....no idea.

I certainly hope I can do it justice with my paint job.

I decided to start with just the boots, so I just hit them with a coat of Rustoleum primer. I figure they're a relatively small piece and would be a good place to start.

Finally talked to a friend who gave me a bunch of tips about how to paint this. Since I didn't really get much help here and no one is really replying, I think I'll just leave this thread to die. I'll post a new thread once it's all finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Kid coulson & you are awesome, :) , the suit looks fantastic i cant wait to see it finished , i hope kid coulson super loves it :)

Someone did reply! Thanks Jordan. Really looking forward to doing photos of him and I together, with Civil War coming up. LOL

This is going to be a super fun project, painting it all. I finally have a plan of attack. :)

Finally talked to a friend who gave me a bunch of tips about how to paint this. Since I didn't really get much help here and no one is really replying, I think I'll just leave this thread to die. I'll post a new thread once it's all finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone did reply! Thanks Jordan. Really looking forward to doing photos of him and I together, with Civil War coming up. LOL

This is going to be a super fun project, painting it all. I finally have a plan of attack. :)

I cant believe , there isn't more helpful replies to this thread :(, I'm new to replicas, but Model-making etc I've been doing myself for years. Been following you guys online at cons & stuff with your costumes etc its fantastic :).

That's an IM Nation, (R.A.W as he's know on FB) no doubts. All his work is sealed and ready for paint. Pick your colors well my friend, your going to love it. Might I be so humbled as to suggest Dupli-Color paints for your project. The deep richness that you get with that paint is just amazing. My brother used it on his Mark 6 suit and all I can say is WOW!!! it looked freaking AWESOME....... Best of luck, and congrats on that suit!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back