Intro to Professional Model Making DVD - opinion?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Sluis Van Shipyards, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I don't recall the name, so if he's a widely known ILMer you can laugh at me. Anyway he has a 2 DVD set that looks interesting. Has anyone gotten it yet? Fonco Store

2. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I think Frank posted a link to it last week. Looks like a good set though. Shame it's prob only NTSC so it won't work here.

3. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Maybe not widely known but he worked on several great movies !

Fon Davis - IMDb

Would love to buy it but like Simon said, it's probably only NTSC... it wont work here either.

4. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

I want to check this out thanks for posting it I never knew it existed.:thumbsup

5. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Julien, if you have a dvd player that supports region 1 discs, then the DVD will def play. On most pc dvd drives you can change the region settings.

Michael

6. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know my computer does but mine, however, can only do it a certain number of times. So as an alternative, instead of having to whittle down the amount of times I can change my region settings, I just up and bought a region free dvd player.

It's still in use today, even though things are transitioning to Blu-Ray, but I've not quite cared enough about Blu-Ray yet to bother.

7. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I have this DVD and I can highly recommend it. It was so interesting, I watched it non-stop all the way through. It's full of great tips and tricks, only a few of which I already knew.

I'd love to get more info about his spray booth setup. I'm wondering if this is something standard he adapted for his shop or if it was completely custom built.

Also, his vacuum chamber is very interesting. I've never seen one like that before. I liked the way he could bleed the vacuum to keep the RTV from overflowing its container during de-gassing.

8. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

I bought the DVD and it worth it see many techniques in action. Although I knew most of the tricks I just have not used them in my personal projects. Fon covers a lot of techniques and tricks for those more curious about model building. He covers vacuum forming, scribing, mold/casting, basic electronics, washes, weathering. I may put my DVD up for sale soon as I took a few notes and do not need the DVD set. But anyone interested in the tools/tricks of the trade, most definitely get the DVD set. It will clear up any foggy ideas of tool use, tricks, approaches, techniques in plain sight. I'm much more visual so this just helped in that respect.

9. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Never thought about my pc DVD player ! I should be able to read it then, thank you for the tip Michael ! :)

10. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

11. Go Flight

Go Flight Active Member

I have the DVD as well and it's excellent. Need help with vac form? He covers it. Can't make that smooth canopy? He shows how. Lighting? He does it.
    The info just goes on and on... 2 thumbs up from me.

12. Constantine

Constantine Active Member

I just got my Intro to Professional Model Making DVD for Christmas and I watched the first hour and so far it's very informative. I am so glad I got it, so many tips you can pick up just by watching it. Tools, types of material, methods and how he handles the materials, its well worth it. The DVD also played fine in my Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-D5700), I had no problems with it at all.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  13. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A heads-up that Fon's dropped the price on these.

To recap: if you're wondering about some techniques or are curious about rounding out your foundation model building skills, this is a good double set to grab. Get these techniques down and you're far ahead of most hobbyists (and probably even a few pros, ugh). Anyone who's been working a few years may think that they'll get less out of it, but it's always good to see something in action and get a few reminders and tips.

14. opal1970

opal1970 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, sounds like a very good investment for anyone wanting to improve their skills.

The link at the top gives me a "404 Not Found" error. I was able to find it at Amazon.com (unfortunatly, they do not ship overseas and Amazon.de doesn't have it :( )

but I was able to find it at ebay.com that ships worldwide

Jason

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just ordered mine from Micromark.com.

Can't wait to check it out.

16. Grant Da Modeler

Grant Da Modeler Well-Known Member

He changed the part of the link that takes you to his online store.
    It's still there.

17. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

I just ordered it as well, since it's so highly recommended here! Now I'm all excited to watch it and see all the new techniques and tricks of the trade. Weee! :D

18. b26354

b26354 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good tip about micromark... Amazon won't ship it to New Zealand and S&H fees direct from Fon's site were an extra $25 :eek.

With micromark I can order a bunch of other useful stuff + the DVD and still only pay $13 for shipping

19. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

20. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got my copy and watched most of it. Very informative. I did start getting annoyed the first time I saw a time lapsed section thinking, "Gee, sure would be nice if I knew what he was doing", but then he went back and described it. I am really looking forward to trying some of the techniques I saw. One right away is going to save me a lot of trouble.

21. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

just ordered mine on amazon :)

22. trooper

got the video today, some very cool techniques. i to wished they didnt speed up the footage in some spots. i would have never thought of doing the double layer vacuum forming, very cool trick

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  23. zer0zen

zer0zen New Member

I just ordered my DVD as well today from Amazon. It was recommended on the SS Betty build thread.

24. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

I know I'm way late on this but I just saw this and I thought I should could give a little input (I go to school for model making). I haven't ordered the video so if I'm saying things that are already in the video sorry.

If you guys would like a nice, free source for advice on molding check out smooth-on's website. Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More. They have tons of videos on cool things you can make with their products, and they sell starter/sample kits to for stuff. They are a great source for hobbyists.

I also recognize that red foam he's using. I take it he called it model board or tooling board or something of the sort? I use A LOT of that stuff on my projects at school. If you actually want some for yourself you can get it from BCC products. BCC Products. At least, that's where our school gets ours from

25. trooper

i wish we had a model builing class around here.....

26. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

It's not just a class, it's a program, Prototype and design. If you go visit the APMM (association of professional model makers) website Thanks for visiting the APMM! I believe they have a thing listing all the colleges that have model making programs.

27. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Next best thing Aces Wild

Most model building clubs are pretty newbie-friendly and are more than willing to share tips and tricks about building, painting and weathering.

-Fred

28. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

They are great, especially for a beginner. Another good resource is one of my personal faves, scaleautomag and fine scale modeler. They are magazines all about model kits and finishing and sanding techniques. Great resources.

The best thing that you can do though is ask people how to do things, most of my program is just learning little tips and tricks and shortcuts. I had an internship with a very high end model shop and I'm asking them questions all the time of how does this material machine, how does this paint spray, what is the advantage of x cast material over y material.

Oh and I found the link for model schools if anyones interested in professional model making as a career path.
    http://www.modelmakers.org/colleges--universities-list

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  29. trooper

i went to the ones in vancouver wa. several years ago, but then moved here to spokane, i would love to start a group here, there just seems to be no interest around here.

30. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

What do you mean no interest?

"Aces Wild is an IPMS Chapter located in Spokane, Washington."

There's already a club lol

31. trooper

ah see, i went right to events page. i have to the THREE model shops we have here and all three know nothing of a local chapter. i didn't see the location on the aces wild page, guess i should have read it a little more before racing off to the events :)

thanks for walking me through this ...ive had a rough day, i think it's time for a nappy :unsure

32. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

To get back to the Fonco video for a sec - I got mine a couple of weeks ago and watched it several times now. For $30 I would definitely recommend it! There's a lot of neat tricks, time saving techniques, and great advice at all levels of production in here - from design to running electronics. The sped up footage didn't really bother me so much as the tacky music they use LOL.

Overall definitely worth it imo.

33. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fon's going to be doing an evening of quick model-related demos (about 2 hrs total) at 32Ten in a couple of weeks if anyone's interested.