Inspired By Luke's ANH Rifle

Blade Hawkins

This is my first post, and before I get started, I'd like to express my awe for this forum. I'm amazed at the talent, tenacity and skill involved in the research and execution of so many great props. I've been lurking for a while, and used the collected knowledge of this forum to assemble a New Hope DL44 with Field Marshal parts on a Denix. I'm pleased with the way it turned out, though it's unremarkable in that I did minimal defrarbing on the Denix. I can always return to that later.

Now, on to the subject of this post. I've decided to tackle a long rifle inspired by Luke's A New Hope Slugthrower. There is little information and few good images on the screen used prop, that's why i'm going for "inspired by." Here's a link to an RPF thread that seems to contain the bulk of what is known about the prop:

STAR WARS IV Lukes tuscan raider rifle

The discussion includes a publicity still of Luke holding the rifle, some screen captures from the film and descriptions of an auction listing and article on the prop. Comparing the publicity shot to the auction rifle, it is clear that some details and more than a few greebles were removed from the prop between the film and auction. To my eye, the auction prop no longer passes muster as a believable weapon. It may have worked for the small amount of screen time the prop received in ANH, but I hope to achieve something a bit more plausible as an in universe weapon when handled.

Like the DL44, the ANH rifle borrowed heavily from historical tech, in this case, the Jezail. The Jezail was a muzzleloading matchlock, snaphance or flintlock long rifle that was used in Afghanistan and Southeast Asia and Middle East. Here are some examples:

Jezail.jpeg

Jezail Butt.jpeg

Jezail Locks.jpeg

I'm sure this is nothing new to many on this forum, but I wanted to include some images that I'm using to fill in the gaps in available research for the ANH rifle.

I'm starting with the assumption that though the prop rifle was based on a muzzleloader, the in universe slug thrower was not a muzzle loader. It's described by cannon and legends sources as propelling a solid slug, but I'm not aware of any source that describes the source of energy that throws the slug. It makes sense, to me at least, that the slugthrower would be some kind of hybrid between a blaster and traditional rifle. So, I'm assuming the energy comes from a more fantastic source such as a power cell that provides for multiple shots with the projectiles loaded one at a time.

I'm also assuming that the slug thrower would have been as common among the moisture farmers of Tatoine, as bolt action 22s or single barrel shotguns were to farm boys in America. And come to think of it, Luke carrying his rifle on his speeder is like the rifle in the gun rack common in the rear window of pick up trucks in days past. Hopefully this background will make sense as I progress with the build.

I started by developing a template for the stock. I scaled off of the rifle in the publicity still, but wanted to insure that the architecture was in human scale, so I incorporated proportions from a scale print for a French Trade Gun that was used by Native Americans/First Nations People from the mid 1600s to mid 1700s.

Pattern.jpeg

I Glued two layers of 1x12 poplar together to build up the thickness required. Then I transferred the pattern to the wood cutting it out with a jigsaw.
Stock Profile Cut.jpeg

Stock Profile 2.jpeg

I don't have access to a milling machine or 3d printer, so I'm using aluminum for the barrel, receiver and lock panels. Without specialized metal tools, I'll be limited to woodworking tools, but I should be able to adapt. I wanted the barrel to be slim, but I wanted it to have a bit of a profile, so I found a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum tubing that slid over my 3/4" barrel. I rigged a jig and used my belt sander to mill the larger tube into an octagonal section.
Stock With Barrel.jpeg

I used a table saw and router to inlet the barrel channel.
Barrel Channel Saw.jpeg

Round Barrel Inlet.jpeg

Barrel Inlet End.jpeg

With the barrel inlet, I reduced the barrel channel depth to a bit less than half barrel depth. These rifles were long and slim.
Stock Profile Reduced Long.jpeg

Stock Profile Reduced.jpeg

As I said earlier, the in universe rifle is not a muzzleloader, so I'm planning a kind of hybrid between the muzzleloader stock architecture and a more modern looking receiver that could plausibly house the technology. I cut an aluminum breach block, and lock plates that blend the idea of a flintlock with the updated tech.
Stock and Reciever Side.jpeg

Top View Reciever and Barrel.jpeg

Lock Panels.jpeg

I'll work up some greebles to add to add to the lock plates. I'm trying out some turnbuckles above, plus I've ordered some reed cylinders and knurled knobs from The Blaster Factory. I still need to remove a lot of wood, and add things like a trigger mechanism, trigger guard and sights. As mentioned above, I hope to come up with something that fits in the SW universe, could plausibly be carried by a farm boy or Tuscan Raider, something inspired by Luke's rifle.

Here's a quick update. A wanted a bit more thickness at the butt, so I glued some 1/4" poplar to each side. that will give me 2" of width at the butt plate. That width will taper down to the wrist before swelling out to blend in with the lock panels. I cut some 1/8" sheet brass intro a butt plate and screwed it onto the butt. I wanted the look of a nailed on plate, so I only counter sunk the screws about halfway, then filed the screws down to flush.
Buttplate.jpeg

Butt Looking Forward.jpeg

With the buttplate installed, I used a rasp to remove a bunch of wood. The trick is to shape things until they flow, the wide butt flowing into the trim wrist and flowing into the squared lock area before tapering down to the long slim barrel.
Butt Profile.jpeg

Butt Looking Forward.jpeg

Butt Swell.jpeg

Lock Pannel.jpeg

I wanted an easier transition between the octagonal section and the slim tube, So I added some attentional tubing, a thinner band and a longer section. If I had access to a lathe, I probably would have turned a tapered barrel, but this gets close.
Barrel Transition.jpeg

On to greebles and some speculative technology. It appears, more from Legends than Cannon, that slug thrower tech is a chemical reaction propelling a solid projectile. That description could apply to contemporary firearms as well, but that's too mundane for a galaxy far away. First I wanted to create a plausible way to load slugs, so used three layers of 1/8" aluminum to build up the receiver top. I cut an oval recess and a notch to suggest something similar to a ejector/loading port. Of course without cartridges there would be nothing to eject, but it fits with the SW esthetic. If I had a mill I would have taken a different approach, but this one works with the tools I have. Unfortunately, I took a shortcut drilling for the screw from the trigger plate up into the tang section, and my drill drifted off course. It bothers me now, but once everything is prepped, primed and painted, I hope it goes away.
Top Reciever.jpeg

For the left side lock panel, I'm assuming a chemical propellant reservoir that would need to be charged periodically, so I repurposed a couple of Zerk fittings to look like charge ports. Then I used some Reed cylinders reducing the depth glueing 2 together with part of a 3rd as a form of heat sink that fits in universe. The knurled knobs add some visual interest, plus provide a believable way to handle field service. I'll probable add some brass rods exiting the heat sink to add a bit more visual interest.
Left Lock Panel.jpeg

With some brass rods, some turnbuckles suggested some kind of energy accelerator, and they fill up the right side nicely.
Right Lock Panel.jpeg

I used some real gun parts to add believability. I found a trigger guard that looked similar to the one on Luke's rifle, and a muzzle loader trigger at a company specializing in replica parts.
Trigger & Trigger Guard.jpeg

Since slug throwers are known for long range accuracy, the rifle needs sights. Luke's rifle didn't have a scope, so I followed through on mixing earlier technologies. The ladder style rear sight is an original (Ebay) from an 1874 Trapdoor Springfield. It is similar to the Mauser sight on a DL44. It adjusts for range and even flips up for loooooong range.
Ladder Sight.jpeg
Ladder Sight Up.jpeg
Finally,for a front sight I chose a contemporary hooded globe. It just looks right out there on the end of that long thing barrel.
Front Sight.jpeg

Next up, I'll reduce the width of the wood along the barrel and reduce the profile into the slim fore end like on Luke's rifle. Then it will be on to finish.

Last edited:
I spent some time shaping and slimming the fore end. In also worked on refining the shape of the lock panels and flow of the butt stock into wrist and action. I added a couple more greebles to the lock panels too. The blue tape marks the position for the barrel bands. Next up, I'll fabricate the barrel bands and then it's on to finish and aging.
Profile.jpeg

Forend Shaped.jpeg

Wrist into Lock Panels.jpeg

Left Lock Pannel.jpeg

Right Lock Pannel.jpeg

Always liked the weird look of that rifle. Yours is coming together nicely. Are you gonna do some etchings or burn in some symbols at the top of the shoulder stock up near where it meets the main part of the weapon, where a hammer usually sits on modern weapons? Seems like a place to personalize the weapon a bit - maybe the Lars family crest or something. Or maybe do it like a thin ornate metal plate?

Last edited:
Always liked the weird look of that rifle. Yours is coming together nicely. Are you gonna do some etchings or burn in some symbols at the top of the shoulder stock up near where it meets the main part of the weapon, where a hammer usually sits on modern weapons? Seems like a place to personalize the weapon a bit - maybe the Lars family crest or something. Or maybe do it like a thin ornate metal plate?
Thanks for the kind words. I have no plans to dress the rifle up, though 18th Century English and American rifles often had a decorative plate in that location.

My take on this rifle is that its the Tatooine version of the 22 bolt action or 20 gauge single barrel shotgun that was so common on Midwestern farms in the mid 20th Century. Every farm had one. it was cheap, serviceable and plain. it often was stored in the barn, or behind the back door in the kitchen. and it was considered a tool.

You did the greeblie thing right. It's hard to not go overboard, or pick good stuff, and this has mando + OT wookie bowcaster feel. I love it.

It's been a while since I posted. Travel and work kept me away from the project for a while, and then drying time on the finish makes for slow progress. I annealed some 1/32 brass and formed the barrel bands around a piece of pipe. Then I used some copper boat nails for rivets to close the loop. This crude approach is in keeping with hardware on Jezail rifles which could be both highly decorated and primitive at the same time. In universe, the bands may be farm house repairs to keep the tool functioning. After peening the rivets, I used some soft solder and a torch to fuse the bands.
Barel Bands Rivets.jpeg

Barrel Bands Rivet 2.jpeg

Barrel Bands Rivet 3.jpeg

Barrel Bands Formed.jpeg

Then I filed and shaped to radius edges and reduce the profile of the joint. A little brass black and some steel wool gave them a worn in universe look.
ANH Barrel Bands.jpeg

For wood finish, I used 2 coats of Feibings Dark Brown Leather Dye, and after allowing it to fully dry, I applied a coat of Minwax Jacobean Oil stain. This effectively darkened the wood, so the poplar grain was minimized. I actually prefer this approach because I think cheap wood stained still looks like cheep wood. After 3 coats of wipe on polly, I dry brushed using burnt sienna oil color mixed with polly to suggest a walnut like grain pattern. Side note, It was actually common practice in 18th and 19th Century furniture shops to bleach away woodgrain before painting in a more dramatic grain pattern.
ANH Rifle R Butt.jpeg

ANH Rifle Left Side Butt.jpeg

As for metal finish, the steel parts were blued using Birchwood Casey Super Blue. The Stainless steel parts were heat blued, and the Aluminum parts were sanded, hit with an etching primer and given a base coat of gunmetal spray enamel. After assembly I hit the metal and wood with some black washes to suggest dirt. I'll most likely return to it from time to time to add wear and more grime, but for now, I consider it finished.
ANH Rifle Right Side Full.jpeg

ANH Rifle Left Full.jpeg

ANH Rifle R Action.jpeg

ANH L Action.jpeg

ANH Top Action.jpeg

And here it is in the shrine.
Shrine.jpeg

Attachments

• ANH Rifle Left Side Butt.jpeg
    ANH Rifle Left Side Butt.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Great build and the wood effect looks fantastic! Another trick I used to make wood look old is the Ammonia +Drano mix.
No need to say that this mix, and washing of those wooden pieces, should be done outside with mask, goggles and protective clothing.
After generously brushing/soaking for a few minutes into the mix, remove and wash the wood with clean water. Let it dry and voilà..."old wood".
That mix will raise the grain and a light sanding (320) should get rid of those "barbs". Use any stain/varnish/polish afterwards (y) ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back