Innercuff -Wrist Part for Iron Man Forearms - 3d print files - FREE!

devildog12

So I've been looking at how to go about adding the inner wrist material for my Iron Man forearm(s) and figured the answer was right here in front of me. What I did was take the inner wrist model out of Ken Landrum's Mark III forearm file and modify so it could be 3d printed using TPU or Ninjaflex. Haven't got the chance to try it out to see if it works but in theory it should. Since its going to be made out of flexible plastic I added in a slot so you could get your wrist in and out with ease. If your wondering how to get flexible filament for cheap, I found some on good ol' Amazon for ~$30 and the reviews are very good. I'm adding in the link here : http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Fle...8&qid=1442197973&sr=8-2&keywords=TPU+filament

Here's the link to download the cuff: http://www.4shared.com/file/p9EODfTace/innercuff.html

Innercuff1.JPG

Innercuff2.JPG

Just ordered a spool, should arrive in 2 days and I'll get to printing! Thanks for this!
I hear it takes some serious tweaking to get the filament to print properly, I'll definitely post my results.

Just ordered a spool, should arrive in 2 days and I'll get to printing! Thanks for this!
I hear it takes some serious tweaking to get the filament to print properly, I'll definitely post my results.

No problem! I was thinking last night when I was editing it that if it needs supports, and if you have a dual extruder, you could print the supports in PVA so you wouldn't have to worry about taking them off. Just let it sit water for a little bit and they should dissolve right off. Idk just an idea.

Unfortunately I don't have a dual extruder, but I think with the shape it won't need supports. I'm not sure how the rings will hold up or how the filament will behave. I'm going to do a test print with PLA without supports and see if it droops

T-4 1/2 hours on the first test. Lowered the temp to 210 as recommended by the filament maker, set up a temporary spool stand so I didnt have to pull down the other one (pain in the butt to get to, i hate my setup). It won't print properly without supports, so it will be interesting to see how this stuff comes off itself. usually the PLA is very easy to peel away with little residual cleanup, but this stuff is so stretchy that i don't see being able to sand it. Probably some soldering iron smoothing will be needed.

I am cleaning up the part now, and all i have to say is.....WOW. I am beside myself and how freakin AWESOME this flexible filament is. Pulling off the support material is HARD, very carefully going at it with a knife to clean it up, pics to follow

If it's possible to revise the model so that the ridges are rounded instead of squared off I think it would be able to print without the support material in between them. that's the hardest thing to clean out. Even if you ran flexible with PLA support it would peel out easily. I've been using the handle of a file to dig it out and a fine file to scrape out the remains. I'm probably going to have to take a hot glue gun nozzle and attempt to smooth it out. I also anticipate plasti-dipping it to get rid of the translucent appearance. this stuff is REALLY flexible. I printed with 8% infill, no raft, with supports, .3 resolution.

5E654FC7-8985-4D4A-8043-971E3E967403_zps2fqtctjq.JPG14F66118-ACA4-4A9D-8974-FDE847FC3566_zpsdjwpfj1k.JPG3AA16E64-9F98-46FE-9B8E-B2F1C019DFAE_zpsxot85zdy.JPG05F8FBFD-47A3-4858-A1A2-88B5EAA64C56_zpscjmffl6u.JPG

Last edited:
I could definitely see getting the fingers printed in 1 shot and having the joints built in with the flex plastic. I want to give it a shot printing a palm so holding a beer isnt so darn hard when wearing the hand armor!

I could definitely see getting the fingers printed in 1 shot and having the joints built in with the flex plastic. I want to give it a shot printing a palm so holding a beer isnt so darn hard when wearing the hand armor!

i hear ya about holding the beer lol. So I did go in and try to smooth it out but it turned into a really mess after it was done. My blender/modeling skills are somewhat beginner lol If somebody else wants to take a crack at it so that the ridges are rounded, I'd be all for that. As for me printing it, I did order some the same exact kind of filament just a different color. I have a dual extruder, and im gonna try printing the supports with water dissoluble filament.

P.S at some point within the next week or so, I'm gonna get the fingers and inner elbow part done as well, when I get those done-I'll edit the thread and post the links too

I've been thinking about this more, especially for the elbow section...
With how flexible this material is, if you make the sections thin enough, you should be able to print it flat and roll it up. I did a quick mock up of the elbow joint (far from accurate but it gives the general idea of the design), and when I run it through meshmixer, i can round the edges so it won't have a stress point when it flexes
. Untitled.png
Theoretically I should be able to do a little warm water dunk and fold this to the shape it needs to be to fit between the forearm and bisep, then let it cool and it should hold it's shape.

It printed out well, but was too thick to flex like I wanted it to. It worked well printing flat, so I grabbed the best photo I could find of the elbow cover detail and scaled it for the size parts I have in CAD and transferred to a model via solidworks. Came up with .50" thick ribs with .28" drop off. Rounded all corners, and have .05" in between ridges to allow it to flex more. The panels are a bit too spread out if you ask me, but I feel like anything less than that won't allow the material to flex enough. I ran extra segments off the top and bottom for more area to glue down.

Untitled.jpg

How did the dual extruder experiment go?

Honestly I haven't had to time to mess with it yet lol been on hiatus for a while. As luck has it, my dual extruder has been givin me issues and I'm gonna try and get it fix this week. I'm gonna try and redesign the cuff this week and re-post it. I've been dabbling in Fusion 360 and really like it. That should give me an excuse to design something haha.

ubcs86. DM'ed you back, but also like this inner elbow stuff youre doing. Ill follow up with htis also....

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. for that wrist stuff... just reinforce this.... http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1728837/images/o-RED-PLASTIC-CUPS-facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bogleo, very nice! Smoothing the inside is definitely awesome. I've tried to smooth the one I printed and it's still very scratchy.

I printed the inaccurate version of my arm filler, looks decent enough without paint/prep. Without getting the bicep assembled I won't know how well it actually functions.

D5C65DBF-F22A-41A4-93C5-E8EE518C0348_zpskpwlbpsn.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you happen to have the file handy for the inner arm filler?
I'm wondering if rounded vs. flat and slit like the cuff, it would fill all exposed areas.
Id be greatly appreciative.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back