Inglourious Basterds - Aldo's Snuff Box (PIC INTENSIVE)...

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's a few years out now. I didn't see it in the theaters (life interference), but once I saw it on Blu-ray, I had to pick-up the disc. It was just what I've come to expect from a QT film, hyper-violent & quirky, with an excellent cast.

I started making mental notes on what prop swag I'd want to reproduce, & this movie has a few nice (sometimes obscure) options. As a first project, I decided to tackle one that I thought would be one of the more difficult builds (striving for accuracy, of course), & at the same time, one that helped define the character.

As the thread-title says, I chose Lt Aldo Raine's snuff box. I'll say up front, the amount of research I put into this piece was crazy. I'm probably on some sort of government "watch-list", due to the number of days, & hundreds of sites, & THOUSANDS of Nazi insignia I've been studying in my quest for screen-accuracy. But I digress...

The box itself was not super difficult to find. There are a number of them on e-Bay at any given time, you can find them using the search term: "vintage french snuff box". BUT because they are all hand-made, getting the correct size can be tricky. I don't have mine in front of me right this minute, but I can provide measurements if anyone wants them. Another tricky thing can be the price. They usually run anywhere from $30 to $300 (USD). I got mine for around $30, but it was in fairly poor shape, & had to be mostly dismantled/rebuilt prior to accurization.

Here are the screencaps I took, that I believe are the best available reference for the box:

ib-7773_zps3gdtonhn.jpg

ib-3958_zpsttd1ing4.jpg

And some close-ups of said reference:

snuffboxclose_zpsdsadkkut.png

And here is what I received in the mail:

box_build00_zpscjbhcjyk.jpg

There was a problem with the hinge, & the pins securing the lid were loose. I tapped out the pins (causing some wood splintering on the lid), & removed the lid/hinge. The hinge turned out to be a piece of sheet brass curved around a metal post (the overall engineering was pretty impressive), & attached to the lid. Once the hinge was removed, I flattened the hinge out for measurement purposes, & to check condition (POOR):

box_build01_zps5pnt1rvh.jpg

box_build02_zpspr6usxxb.jpg

box_build03_zpsgq0f67a4.jpg

Using some wood filler, I rebuilt the lid (drilling new holes for the hinge), & started priming/painting the various parts:

box_build07_zpsyc6alknr.jpg

Then I set about fashioning a new hinge, using some new sheet brass I purchased:

box_build08_zps237tz33q.jpg

box_build09_zpsxx5ap6te.jpg

box_build10_zpsqyvpdnmh.jpg

Then a test fit of the lid:

box_build12_zpsmgts9wn4.jpg

box_build11_zpsuczcjjb1.jpg

Then a final fitting & attaching with new posts (made from wood this time), & paint:

box_build15_zps3ghdrtg5.jpg

box_build14_zpsgh9kezr0.jpg

box_build13_zpsga3wh5yl.jpg

After the paint cured, I finished shaping/modifying/attaching the insignia. Again, I can dig up the specifics of that piece if there is interest. It was NOT easy, as there are seemingly frakking hundreds of eagle/swastika insignia available, but only ONE correct one:

box_build17_zpsnvbf6l8u.jpg

box_build16_zpsroroh6mx.jpg

Then installed the ten brass studs (3mm diameter, also extremely difficult to find for some reason), followed by some antiquing the insignia/studs & weathering/distressing the paint, which finishes the project:

box_build20_zpsjreaxcpq.jpg

box_build19_zpsfpd5kjh5.jpg

box_build18_zpsxu1s0bs2.jpg

box_build21_zpssj4x19jj.jpg

It KILLED me to not have the studs perfectly measured out, but the ones on the hero box were a little wonky, so I followed suit. BUT, I'm super-happy with the way everything turned out, it was a [mostly] fun project. Thanks for looking!

In other news, someone on YourProps claims to have the "Hero" snuff box, with accompanying documents. I hope he didn't spend TOO much on that...

I too just saw it. It was awesome sauce. Dude your skills are AMAZING. Damn, if I had your skills I wouldn't be having as much trouble trying to recreate Aldo's knife. Great Job, Cheers.

I too just saw it. It was awesome sauce. Dude your skills are AMAZING. Damn, if I had your skills I wouldn't be having as much trouble trying to recreate Aldo's knife. Great Job, Cheers.
Thanks man. It was cool, because when I started it, I had NO idea if I'd be able to pull it off.

Aldo's knife is my next project from this film. I'm ~hoping~ it won't be too much of a chore. Are you starting with the correct knife? My plan is to fake the stag handle (as opposed to trying to fashion one from an authentic piece). *fingers crossed*

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back