Indy and the Last Crusade: Elsa Zippo Lighter: Luke0312 and Relic Raider versions

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was lucky enough to buy a Relic Raider Elsa lighter from marsattack recently, so I thought it would be interesting to compare his lighter to Luke0312 who also did a run recently. Let's start with posting a screencap of the actual lighter, so we all know what we're talking about:

Zippos00.jpg

In "The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives" is also a picture of "a lighter", but it doesn't look exactly like the one above. Personally, I prefer screencaps of the actual prop in the movie, as a reference. More than once, pictures of props in books that claim the prop was "screen used", turn out to be B-props, are just replica's. What's seen on screen is really screen used, no discussion about it. Anyway, let's start with the comparison.

First of all, Luke's lighter came in a nice Zippo box. Don't know about Relic Raider's, since I didn't get this one from him directly. Marsattack was kind enough to send the lighter in a zippo box as well. So here's a picture of the lighters, both in their boxes, and out of their boxes. Luke's lighter on the left, Relic Raider's on the right:

Zippos01.jpg Zippos02.jpg

Both lighters are Zippo's 200 model. The classic high polish chrome version. Big difference between bot lighters is the finishing of the shells. Luke's lighter is shine all the way, while RelicRaider's shells are matte. No shine what-so-ever.

What can be noticed also, is that the clover design is different. The green colour is different, Relic Raider's clover is a bit bigger, etc... All in all, I think the design of Relic Raiders clover is more accurate here. Look at the shape of the stem of the clover, and the bigger nerves in the clover leafs. Although the size of Relic Raider's clover is a little bit too big, in my opinion (size of luke's is more accurate), I do prefer the design of Relic Raider.

Here is a close-up of both clovers:

Zippos04.jpg Zippos05.jpg

Also worth mentioning is that Relic Raider's clover has a 3D-like appearance. The green of the clover seems to be more in the back than the white of the shells and the nerves and lines of the leafs. I tried to capture that in the picture above, but it's not that easy to see.

Then there is the thickness of the shells. I guess the Relic Raider lighter I have, doesn't have the latest "generation" of shells Relic Raider offered, since these should be 1,5mm. The shells on this one are about 2mm. Way thicker thatn the very slim shells on Luke's lighter. See this pic (Luke's left, Relic Raider's right):

Zippos03.jpg

In fact, the thickness of the shells don't bother me too much. RelicRaider's lighter is thicker, but still very good looking. Another point worth mentioning is that luke's shells have a light sticky-like feeling about them. I didn't notice it until marsattack pointed this out to me in the mail conversation we had. I checked and indeed there is a slight "sticky sense" on them. I guess when you handle the lighter a lot, this feeling will go away. But I'm not planning on carrying these lighters around.

Last thing to mention is that the finishing of Luke's lighter is just 100% perfect. The shells are placed perfectly on the lighter. On Relic Raider's version, there are some very, very minor traces of glue on the lighter, and some very, very small imperfections in the shells themselves (there seem to be very, very tiny air-bubbles inside the shells. Very difficult to spot with the naked eye, however...

Then there is the last important point: price! Luke's lighter was $48 which was a really, really good deal! Relic Raider's lighters is another matter. His site sais that he still sells them, but the site hasn't been updated since more than 2 years. He also ask to NOT mail him to aks if there are lighters available. His price for the badges only is $55. You have to supply your own zippo and send it to him to attach the badges. A 250 zippo is about $20, so total would be about $75 (+ the hassle of shipping the lighter to Relic Raider etc...). This is the theoretical price. Since Relic Raider lighters are rather rare (I don't see them pop up for sale a lot), you'll probably end up paying two are three times this amount for a mint RelicRaider lighter.

So which one is my favorite? I guess I have to say it's RelicRaider's, due to the more screen accurate clover. Certainly if you can manage to get a Relic Raider lighter for it's original price, I think it's the better deal. But since Relic Raider lighters nowdays go for $200 or more, I think at that price, both lighters are price-quality wise equal.

Luke's lighter is a great replica for a great price, but RelicRaider's replica is a bit better, but a lot more expensive and much harder to find, since Relic Maker doesn't seem to offer them anymore...

A last pic of both beauties side by side:

Zippos06.jpg

Last edited:
Does Luke0312 still make these ?

I was lucky enough to buy a Relic Raider Elsa lighter from marsattack recently, so I thought it would be interesting to compare his lighter to Luke0312 who also did a run recently. Let's start with posting a screencap of the actual lighter, so we all know what we're talking about:

View attachment 446839

In "The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives" is also a picture of "a lighter", but it doesn't look exactly like the one above. Personally, I prefer screencaps of the actual prop in the movie, as a reference. More than once, pictures of props in books that claim the prop was "screen used", turn out to be B-props, are just replica's. What's seen on screen is really screen used, no discussion about it. Anyway, let's start with the comparison.

First of all, Luke's lighter came in a nice Zippo box. Don't know about Relic Raider's, since I didn't get this one from him directly. Marsattack was kind enough to send the lighter in a zippo box as well. So here's a picture of the lighters, both in their boxes, and out of their boxes. Luke's lighter on the left, Relic Raider's on the right:

View attachment 446840 View attachment 446841

Both lighters are Zippo's 200 model. The classic high polish chrome version. Big difference between bot lighters is the finishing of the shells. Luke's lighter is shine all the way, while RelicRaider's shells are matte. No shine what-so-ever.

What can be noticed also, is that the clover design is different. The green colour is different, Relic Raider's clover is a bit bigger, etc... All in all, I think the design of Relic Raiders clover is more accurate here. Look at the shape of the stem of the clover, and the bigger nerves in the clover leafs. Although the size of Relic Raider's clover is a little bit too big, in my opinion (size of luke's is more accurate), I do prefer the design of Relic Raider.

Here is a close-up of both clovers:

View attachment 446842 View attachment 446843

Also worth mentioning is that Relic Raider's clover has a 3D-like appearance. The green of the clover seems to be more in the back than the white of the shells and the nerves and lines of the leafs. I tried to capture that in the picture above, but it's not that easy to see.

Then there is the thickness of the shells. I guess the Relic Raider lighter I have, doesn't have the latest "generation" of shells Relic Raider offered, since these should be 1,5mm. The shells on this one are about 2mm. Way thicker thatn the very slim shells on Luke's lighter. See this pic (Luke's left, Relic Raider's right):

View attachment 446844

In fact, the thickness of the shells don't bother me too much. RelicRaider's lighter is thicker, but still very good looking. Another point worth mentioning is that luke's shells have a light sticky-like feeling about them. I didn't notice it until marsattack pointed this out to me in the mail conversation we had. I checked and indeed there is a slight "sticky sense" on them. I guess when you handle the lighter a lot, this feeling will go away. But I'm not planning on carrying these lighters around.

Last thing to mention is that the finishing of Luke's lighter is just 100% perfect. The shells are placed perfectly on the lighter. On Relic Raider's version, there are some very, very minor traces of glue on the lighter, and some very, very small imperfections in the shells themselves (there seem to be very, very tiny air-bubbles inside the shells. Very difficult to spot with the naked eye, however...

Then there is the last important point: price! Luke's lighter was $48 which was a really, really good deal! Relic Raider's lighters is another matter. His site sais that he still sells them, but the site hasn't been updated since more than 2 years. He also ask to NOT mail him to aks if there are lighters available. His price for the badges only is $55. You have to supply your own zippo and send it to him to attach the badges. A 250 zippo is about $20, so total would be about $75 (+ the hassle of shipping the lighter to Relic Raider etc...). This is the theoretical price. Since Relic Raider lighters are rather rare (I don't see them pop up for sale a lot), you'll probably end up paying two are three times this amount for a mint RelicRaider lighter.

So which one is my favorite? I guess I have to say it's RelicRaider's, due to the more screen accurate clover. Certainly if you can manage to get a Relic Raider lighter for it's original price, I think it's the better deal. But since Relic Raider lighters nowdays go for $200 or more, I think at that price, both lighters are price-quality wise equal.

Luke's lighter is a great replica for a great price, but RelicRaider's replica is a bit better, but a lot more expensive and much harder to find, since Relic Maker doesn't seem to offer them anymore...

A last pic of both beauties side by side:

View attachment 446845

Little update here. Relic Raider is offering his lighters again! Two are available from his site right now. Grab them when you can! http://relic-raider.com/lighter/zippo_07B.html
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the #200 model with normal green clover on white background. I'll post a review of it once it's here.

In the meanwhile I also got Luke's second version of the lighter. So I think in the near future, a second review is coming of the latest versions of both lighters.

Little update here. Relic Raider is offering his lighters again! Two are available from his site right now. Grab them when you can! http://relic-raider.com/lighter/zippo_07B.html
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the #200 model with normal green clover on white background. I'll post a review of it once it's here.

In the meanwhile I also got Luke's second version of the lighter. So I think in the near future, a second review is coming of the latest versions of both lighters.

You are awesome. I gave up checking his site after a few years.

Just snagged one with the Ivory background and the lighter shade clover which is what I prefer.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Now I have two awesome Elsa lighters.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need Relicmaker's COC, RBHP, Iman HP, Serenity's Hero Grail Diary, Grail, Sankara Stone and Cloth, diamond,.......well you get the idea.

Long way to go re-building Indy. I have two lighters now, my Indy green notebook, map room brush and map room map. Antidote vial and 1/6 Sideshow Indy. That's it. The rest was sold so a long way to go.

Tom

Tom

The Relicmaker's COC show up now and then. Didn't Sarednab have one available in his sales thread in the junkyard?

Yet another little update: I received my new Relic Raider lighter with generation VI badges a few weeks ago, but it is quite different from the one I have with the generation V badges (the one in the review in the first post). The clover looked a bit blurry and lacks the 3D effect of the clover in the generation V badges. I contacted Relic Raider and he told me this had to do with the way the different badges were created.

I already sold the lighter with the generation VI badges again, since I like the one with the generation V badges much, much better. If I had to choose between Luke's lighter or Relic Raiders lighter with generation VI badges, I would choose Luke's lighter. Especially with his new clover design (which I should post some pictures of). But I also do like Relic Raiders lighter with generation V badges, over Luke's lighter (even with the new clover).

But it seems that with this Relic Raider zippo with generation V badges, I hold a pretty rare gem. If you can get your hands on that one: grab it! If not, choose Luke's lighter, I'd say.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back