Improving On the Grusderk System

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
It CAN'T be that hard- it's just four cable-op fingers attached to a facemask instead of a hand. It seems to me that the hardest part would be locating the cables right for the most pull.

I've heard that the originals can be dangerous to wear, but haven't heard how exactly. Getting poked with the cable ends? Gators in the fiberglass face?

I think I would dispense with the fiberglass face altogether, and do it in either vacuform plastic of some kind, or brushcast resin for starters. That would be a lot smoother and more consistent in thickness anyway.

Also, I'd bet this same mechanism could make the eyebrows furrow in mid-snarl too! :)

Thoughts? Let's bounce some ideas off each other!

-Sarge

For the most part you are correct, Grusderk did not trim the fiberglass making it very dangerous to wear. Vacforming is probably the better idea. The other problem in mass producing this system is that every face is a bit different. this problem could be resolved by making a sort of adjustable chin strap at the lower jaw that could fit everyone. The cabling that Gabe used was simple string. that could be improved on as well. the latex around the mandibles should probably be thinner and foam filled ( Gabe's was way too thin) ..and on that note watch any angled edges in the underskull ..they could eventually tear through the mask with repeated wear. Good luck on this. Having owned two defective Grusderk masks, I would love to see this perfected. Judging by the work I've seen of yours on the RPF, I think you might just be the guy to do it.

Ok, I found this pic for reference-

GrusderkSystem.jpg

Overall, this actually looks pretty workable, it's along the same lines, but definitely simpler than what I was planning, and people could bend the wires to better fit their own masks. What malfunctions were people having? Were the mandible wires not firing in sync? Twisting/ flopping around?

I can definitely see how it could stand to be "genericised" some to be able to fit in more different masks though. What I would do is leave the mandible attachment/pivot points up to the buyer with clear printed instructions on how to put them in their mask first, then mark and attach where they meet the faceplate. Also, I'd have the top of the underskull rounded off to fit the top of a normal human head, so people wouldn't have to worry about that "crown" fitting in, or distorting their mask- they could always support the masks crown with padding or maybe make their own fiberglass insert if the weight of their dreads try to pull it out of shape.

-Sarge

GrusderkSystem.jpg

Yup balloon or 10% latex for sure. Dont worry about the fiberglass crown at all, even Grusderk doesnt even bother anymore ..the standard head foaming will do. Think of it as a two piece Spiderman face-shell. an adjustable strap that can tighten around the head, coupled with padding in the shell will do. Remember most of the pressure from opening those jaws will sit on the bridge of your nose. The main complaint with the Grusderk Jaw, is that it just doesnt work that well. he hasent perfected the tension on the fulcrum strings. On many of these masks, it takes two hands just to open the jaws and make the mandibles open. With that kind of force needed, you can only imagine what it would take to make it work with your face. I honestly believe an adjustable chin strap, combined with a helmet like crown ( or hard hat liner..like a stormtrooper bucket) would take the presser of the face on put it on the top of your head and chin (much less painful to operate. I understand your idea of user installed part to make it more generic. Problem is that the mask would work best if the mask and underskull where made to go together. Sorry if that puts more pressure on you to produce, but many of the masks you see on the Lair were not meant for this style of apparatus. Latex would probably be too thick in places needed for movement. Also....the mandible wires could be set into the foam as it cures.

Hey can I add in that I have some very small pneumatic cylinders and they might work well for moving the jaws if anyone is interested please feel free to PM me. If someone on here is serious about a design I would be happy to send you a pair. Could be run off a small paintball tank in the backpack. I suppose you could also set one up to extend the wrist blades as well if you were gonna do it. Let me dig them out and I'll post a pic and some specs.

Just checking in real quick, got a lot of stuff all trying to happen at once right now.

I've invited "Duck" from the RPF over here to look at this thread and see if he can give any advice. He makes really good cable-op Chewbacca masks that work on the same basic principle. :cry:

Those little pneumatic rams would definitely be helpful for the arm blades!

-Sarge

Just checking in real quick, got a lot of stuff all trying to happen at once right now.

I've invited "Duck" from the RPF over here to look at this thread and see if he can give any advice. He makes really good cable-op Chewbacca masks that work on the same basic principle. :cry:

Those little pneumatic rams would definitely be helpful for the arm blades!

-Sarge

Nobody seemed to interested in the rams...I just figured they have a ton of torque so they could push the little rods open with no effort.

Hehehe, if anyone would be interested in grabbing a copy of this and running a few on DVD, it'd probably help us "all" out... (I haven't had a VHS player since the 90's) :)

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Special-Effects-...l/dp/6302699193

It's a full video tutorial for making a cable op mask, and from what I remember, everything in it could be applied to what we're doing. I haven't seen my old copy in years though. :cry:

-Sarge

I have this Video,I converted it to dvd months ago. If a fellow hunter would be kind enough to give me some help,I would be more than happy to upload it,or if it would be easier I could send some one a dvd copy and they could upload it for everyone else,Im not that great at that kind of stuff.

I have this Video,I converted it to dvd months ago. If a fellow hunter would be kind enough to give me some help,I would be more than happy to upload it,or if it would be easier I could send some one a dvd copy and they could upload it for everyone else,Im not that great at that kind of stuff.

SWEET!

Thanks and keep us posted!

-Sarge

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back