Ideal Paint for Props...?

Spartan375

No, i am not talking about spray paint.
Spray paint cans are limited to the colors that every company makes.

I am talking about paint in the regular old fashioned metallic or plastic cans.
What is the best paint you can use to create your costume colors, or just use the regular colors and apply them with brush or spray gun/airbrush?

Also durability is important. We need paint to "survive" the weathering process right? :cool
And of course it has to be realistic looking. That means the colors must be available in mate/flat to avoid any gloss when you don't need it.

So, whats the best out there?

Feel free to share E-bay store links or stores that ship in EU. Always cheaper to buy from the foreign than to buy from the stores here. :rolleyes

Well I'm not sure of the "ideal" paints to use. I've been using Tamiya and Adikolor (now OOP) on my props, models, figures for ages now and find them both very good.

On the odd occasion I use Testors Metalizer paints for specific finishes.

So, this is a good question. What does everyone else use?

Usually been using the spray paint cans, but if fine details are needed I'll use testors, tamiya, creatix airbrush paints, and sometimes, cheapo paints from craft stores (depending on the project)

You do know you can decant spray paints right.
These can then be mixed to the color you need then shot through an air brush or hand painted.

I use just about everything. depends on what I have on hand and need.

Standard for say Colonial Marine armor is Humbrol model paints (used on the original costumes)
Fett would mainly be Floquil model paints.

Some folks prefer to only use acrylics so there is a large variety out there.
Just make sure you don't use enamels over acrylics.

I've also used inks and leather dye on props and costumes without any problems.
Coffee or Tea for weathering

Really what ever works on a given project.

Last edited:
it all really depends on what prop your making and what effect you want out of it.....

ill use spray paints, acrylics from tubes and airbrushing on one prop...

and the next thing ill make, i may use something totally different

tell people what are you painting
then you can get better answers.

The question is not aimed at me and my work. I more general, just to know what is the best, what is the crap and what in between.

I believe that as all the people here, i paint on any material i found useful on each project.

I mainly use spray paints and i have seen from total crap that can't even paint wood, to very good paints that paint on anything.

But nothing compares with costume colors. You can made exactly the color you want, and you can use anything to apply it. Spay cans are bas anatomically to paint with, and most of them are just throwing paint out. So i am looking forward to paints that can be used with spray paint guns and airbrushes.

I heard many people are using water paints. Humbrol or Tamiya are nice indeed, but i need 50€ to paint a single prop. Also water base paints except those for wood (that are totally crap for prop making) are not available here. They actually look at me like i am a Klingon when i ask them about.

But the question is not aimed at me. I can order anything online as long as they ship in E.U. :cool

Well some paints work fine for some folks but not for others.

I've seen a lot of pros and cons about Krylon Fusion but have never used it myself since I prefer automotive paint that doesn't take a week to cure like Fusion does.
Plus auto paint tends to have a nice hard finish that will take a beating and heavy weathering.

I've also gotten real nice finishes with cheap OSH brand paints.

About the only time I've had real problems with paint is with moisture in the air or the can wasn't warmed up causing crazing (cracking).

Automotive paints are great, but here the only available are semi to high gloss White Spirit base paints. :rolleyes
Maybe there are matte paints out there, but nothing is sure...

And i think many people have the same problem with me. White Spirit is bad. It stinks, you have to buy it in bottles, you can't remove it from your skin except with White Spirit and it tends to dissolve plastics! :angry

In tat case i think that Model Paints will work better. They can sure paint in wood/plastic/metal and i think all of them can be dissolved in water. And if they used them in Colonial Marines Armor that can mean that you can have the same magnificent results. :cool
(But these paints cost a fortune here...)

I've seen Steel Model Paint used to to weatherings and brown/red to do rust. The results where incredible. But personally, i have to find a cheap supplier...

Where you guys are getting your paints from?
I am the only one who can't find even sheets of plywood or what? :confused

I normally use model paints (whatever brand is on sale that week usually) but that's more because the best place to get paints where I live is the local hobby shop, since the only other places that sell it are either Home Depot or cheapo kid's craft paint, that is almost guaranteed to flake after a week or two

i use tamiya model paints on most of my resin props. Very durable paint and once it dries for about 2 days you really don't even need to clear coat it, as you'll have to take a knife to scratch it off. (take note that this is after it has been washed and wetsanded and fully prepped for painting though)

I'm not sure, as it's a subjective kind of question really. It all depends on what you are working on/with and what's the best paint for the job.

90% of the time, I use acrylic paints on my projects because they dry fast, have a certain amount of flex and are durable. I like acrylic paints best because of those reasons and because it sticks to most anything.

Very occassionally, I use oil-based stuff (humbrol etc.), but not if I can help it. It takes ages to dry, it stinks and I hate getting it on my hands or clothes.

I mainly use spray paints and i have seen from total crap that can't even paint wood, to very good paints that paint on anything.

You shouldn't be painting directly on the surface, primers have a purpose and when used correctly the paint job usually excels... Even cheap paint on a good primer base foundation can yield good results...

For most of my priming needs I have turned to automotive two part (2K) urethane primers... Mix, spray and they cure quicky while producing an incredible hard primer surface that is highly unlikely to react with any top coating and also sands nice...

IMO a good primer coat and prep is more important then the choice of topcoat in most instances...

Totally agree exoray.

If only could find anything else that wood primer... :confused

But really, even without primer, metals and plastics can be painted satisfactory results. If you have a good spray, and i have found a shop that sells very nice matte black sprays. The paint is durable enough if i don't get any moisture, sure i actually use primer mostly on wood. Without primer they look like painted wood, with primer, they look like what you want. :cool

But i guess i can find some water primer in a can (spray primer is unknown here) and now i am able to use a spray gun to apply it. :cool

Of course they have all that stuff in places they paint cars or bikes. But problem is, most stuff stores get, is from importers or whorehouses directly.
That means they sell big amounts and their stuff is not for sale to civilians.
You know, someone just walk in and buys 100ltr of paint at once they don't care to sell 500ml to me. Same with wood.
And also they sell in a different sales system. They don't give Receipts but Ιnvoices.

So i either have to find someone who has a store and is willing to sell (double or triple price), find a store that sells this stuff (very hard to do, you actually have to ask for rumors or ask passing-by people and there are more of these stores left either), or go to a whorehouse and beg for some of the materials i need.

So instead of paying 1€ for each bus ticket searching in vain, i can save them and order what i need online. They will be a lot cheaper than here. (23% VAT for the record)

And that's why i am asking about what is "ideal". Buying online, there are many things available so you can select what to get.

If you have a spraygun you can spray any paint in it as long as you have the right thinners for it. I have thinned water based paint down with water and sprayed it, IE household emulsions for painting your walls with, and these come in matt and silk (satin) finishes. Depending on what you are painting these would be very cheap. I have painted MDF props with this before for example and it came out well.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back