I need help with a tough flexible clear coat

Samp

Hi guys, I need help. I have these wellington boots that will be covered in a design. The design will be drawn on in sharpie marker. Is there anything I can clear coat these with to stop them from scuffing? Is there even anything that can take that kind of hardship of bumping into and hitting off things all day? Is there a really tough flexible clear coat?

IMG_20160726_133458646 (Large).jpgIMG_20160726_133507850 (Large).jpg

IMG_20160726_133458646 (Large).jpg

IMG_20160726_133507850 (Large).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing that comes to mind (not tried) is that "Flex Seal" in the as-seen-on-tv section of your local store.

It sprays on, but dries as clear rubber. (provided you buy the CLEAR)

Reasonably inexpensive.

Clear Plasti-Dip spray does exist (and may be the same as "Flex Seal" mentioned above) but I am unsure if it will be right for your purposes. Only way to know is to get a second pair of boots and give it a test run.

Two things will have to be experimented with: 1) The compatibility of the clear coat with Sharpie. 2) Whether or not the clear coat will stick to the boot.

I once used yellow Sharpie as a color coat and when I applied the clear it not only lifted and blurred the Sharpie but it turned orange. Sharpie tends to migrate through multiple layers of paint.

Does the boot say what it's made of? Natural rubber is much different than something synthetic.

-Rog

I think I already have a can of the "Flex Seal" around somewhere. And I have Black Sharpie. I might be able to try the two together.

If the Flex Seal covers well, but isn't thick, you could still use it as a primer coat.

If I was doing this, I'd use a flexible clear polyurethane. You would have to coat the entire boot to get a nice clean look. That stuff sticks to anything and everything.

IMG_0969.JPG

Here's Sharpie on a CD, sprayed with Flex Seal. No problem with the ink, but the Flex Seal does leave a texture, instead of being perfectly smooth.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back