I has a question cause im a newb

Lostindespair

do you hunters think it would be possible to take a piece of armor made out of foamies and pour resin over it, then allow the resin to harden around it. I would like the armor im starting to be all resin so its rather rigid but i cant afford to make a **** load of molds for every piece of armor i make. Any help would be appreciated.

Well I've never used foamies myself (been meaning to experiment, just haven't gotten round to it) but I'm told that if you heat them, when they cool they stay rigid and in the shape you want. So really you shouldn't need to pour resin around them. If you simply wanted to have a solid feeling armor, why not try sintra? Same thing as foamies...heat it up and it becomes very flexible, when it cools it becomes rigid and stays in whatever shape you've put it. Difference is that sintra is a plastic.

As to whether the foamies would be able to be covered in resin, I'd say probably yes, so long as you applied it with a brush in very thin coats. Get too much in one place and it'll probably melt the foamie.

Well I've never used foamies myself (been meaning to experiment, just haven't gotten round to it) but I'm told that if you heat them, when they cool they stay rigid and in the shape you want. So really you shouldn't need to pour resin around them. If you simply wanted to have a solid feeling armor, why not try sintra? Same thing as foamies...heat it up and it becomes very flexible, when it cools it becomes rigid and stays in whatever shape you've put it. Difference is that sintra is a plastic.

As to whether the foamies would be able to be covered in resin, I'd say probably yes, so long as you applied it with a brush in very thin coats. Get too much in one place and it'll probably melt the foamie.
hmm, i'd never even heard of Sintra, ill have to look into it. I hasnt really used foamies much either, but i thought i could probably get the shape i wanted i just wasnt sure if it would be as strong as i wanted it. Do you know where i can get some Sintra?

I may suggest using foamies and coating them with plastidip...they won't be as durable as using resin but would probably be less pain in the ass cause like Hez said the resin may cause the foamies to melt and you can get some sintra here or ask a sign making shop if they have any extra sintra laying around

Hey gang I've been away for awhile due to alot of work, but to answer his question yes you can put resin on foamies and works pretty good. Goodluck.

I may suggest using foamies and coating them with plastidip...they won't be as durable as using resin but would probably be less pain in the ass cause like Hez said the resin may cause the foamies to melt and you can get some sintra here or ask a sign making shop if they have any extra sintra laying around
k thanks for the link and stuff, but i dont think Plasti dip will work cause im looking for something really hard. I want it to feel like armor cause i plan to interact at cons and stuff with it so just looking hard wouldnt cut it.

i think the resin idea is good and for $20 u could get an aqua resin starter kit which is less toxic and will cure more easily i hear
or you could just melt down hot glue in a pot and paint it on to the foam with a paint brush but im not sure it will work well

Personally I have a love hate relationship with sintra. Infernal Predator has a good point, a dremel makes it easier to shape and cut. It can be done with heavy sissors and sandpaper. Some people use heat guns, I've always used the "dip into boiling water" method. (make sure to use a pot you don't want to use again) Just remember that sintra releases bad fumes when super heated so make sure the area you are in has a window. Different colors of sintra have different thicknesses and ease of use. White is the most common but is quite thick and needs more heat to bend, I've found that the beige color is the best to use because it heats really quick and is very flexible.
I've used foamies for some project, but mostly to accent or give depth to a piece. Just my two cents

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back