I can haz Extremis nao?

juicydeucy

Icanhaz.jpg

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Halloween! Ok, well, since February I’ve just lurked and it’s a pleasure to finally be a part of this tight knit community. This board is full of so much creativity and talent that I find my self logging on multiple times a day….Ok, so in advance, I just want to let everyone know this is the first time I’ve posted on a forum. If I make a rookie mistake like a double post or if I don’t understand an acronym you’re using please bare with me. Also, this is only the second costume I’ve done so once again go easy on me please. As a side note, my first costume was a foamies Dark Knight inspired Robin that my brother and I threw together three weeks before Halloween circa 2007. It turned ok but I knew I could do better and what I REALLY wanted to do was Iron Man. So, I took a few years to research how to do it and for the last 7 months I’ve been working on the Extremis version of Iron Man. It was originally intended to be finished by this Halloween but I grossly underestimated the time required to properly finish a full iron man suit. Anyway, any feedback, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.
Testfitedit.jpg

I blocked out the worst parts. Trust me it ruins the picture. The whole ab section needs to be re-done and the cod piece is to tight. Everything looks a bit sloppy here because I didn't have it properly strapped. So far the suit is about 80% done. This was just a test fit.

holy crap, you came outta nowhere! thats incredible!

What method of construction did you use?? and what kind of mobility do you have? it looks as though the gold upper thigh/hip area would limit range of motion if it wasnt a flexible material. And the neck seal? Whats that made from?

This is so bad ass! oh and i see you used some compression articulation for the elbows and knees. sweet sweet

As a side note, i think that we as a community are ready for your "worst parts".. Trust me when i say that the immense awesomeness emanating from the rest of your suit will outweigh whatever mistakes you made on the abs and smaller cod piece. I've seen much worse things on an iron man suit and still thought that it was cool. Just sayin:cool

Great work. I am going to follow this thread. I too have the same questions as Dubean/Bimmer.... give us a walk through on materials/your technique. Very cool.

I originally planned to make extremis armor but i've never built props before and pepakura seemed like a good place to start so i had to go with the movie suit. Let me say I'm extremely jealous and i want to know your method, EVERY LAST DETAIL, in a non creepy way.

holy crap, you came outta nowhere! thats incredible!

What method of construction did you use?? and what kind of mobility do you have? it looks as though the gold upper thigh/hip area would limit range of motion if it wasnt a flexible material. And the neck seal? Whats that made from?

This is so bad ass! oh and i see you used some compression articulation for the elbows and knees. sweet sweet

As a side note, i think that we as a community are ready for your "worst parts".. Trust me when i say that the immense awesomeness emanating from the rest of your suit will outweigh whatever mistakes you made on the abs and smaller cod piece. I've seen much worse things on an iron man suit and still thought that it was cool. Just sayin:cool

Hey Bimmer thanks for the kind words! I just went with the old school method:

-Sculpt
-Mold
-Cast

Oh and becasue of lack of time I didn't use compression articulation. Instead I just sculpted and cast all the joints in silicone rubber to look like compression articulation. :)
As for the gold thigh areas I orginally made my model out of 3 separate flat pieces of craft foam, molded them, cast them in silicone and bonded them together to create the shape of a thigh. So flexibility is just fine.

Very cool!

Love that cat too.

Thanks!..The cat is a half wild bengal and also a complete jerk! He steals everything never to be found again.

Great work. I am going to follow this thread. I too have the same questions as Dubean/Bimmer.... give us a walk through on materials/your technique. Very cool.

Jordan your foam suit was amazing! Its incredible the detail you acheieved with foam...
Ok, so here is what everything is cast in:

Neck/Shoulder area: DragonSkin Silicone Rubber
Elbow/knees: Dragonskin Silicone Rubber

Everything else is SmoothCast 300

I originally planned to make extremis armor but i've never built props before and pepakura seemed like a good place to start so i had to go with the movie suit. Let me say I'm extremely jealous and i want to know your method, EVERY LAST DETAIL, in a non creepy way.

I was in the same boat but after getting half way through a helmet I decided that pep wasn't for me. However, I'm still completely amazed at what people have been able to accomplish with freakin paper! Also, I would say just because you've never done this before doesn't mean you can 't do it. Get yourself some clay and see where it takes you.

Your off to a great start. Looking forward to more.

Thanks I can't wait to get to the electronics. I've practiced a bit and the extremis armor has more lights then the usual iron man suit so I can't wait to see what it looks like completely lit.

is the faceplate mobile?
If i wasnt so far into my current suit i would try sculpting, but maybe after i'm done. thanks though!

is the faceplate mobile?
If i wasnt so far into my current suit i would try sculpting, but maybe after i'm done. thanks though!

Yea, I hear ya about waiting until the next project to start sculpting...As for the faceplate it is currently a separate piece but not automated yet. I'm lucky I have a small head as I've tested fitting my servos in the helmet and they fit just fine. I have a plan of how I'm goin to assemble everything but I'm waiting until the actual physical suit is done before moving onto the electronics.

I'm impressed with all the techniques you have used with this being your first suit. Quite the undertaking and a great suit so far! Thanks for sharing!

Yours it´s an amazing work, and old school hand sculpted do it better!!!

If you could I will love to see more pics of your suit or pics about the making of :D

outta nowhere a great & comic suit came to life just like magic! Man i love your work. :love

can you post some progress pics and more pics of the finished product? simply amazing.

Yours it´s an amazing work, and old school hand sculpted do it better!!!

If you could I will love to see more pics of your suit or pics about the making of :D
Thanks Zabana but I must say I think what you're doin with the electronics in your suit is ground breaking.

I'm impressed with all the techniques you have used with this being your first suit. Quite the undertaking and a great suit so far! Thanks for sharing!
I appreciate the compliment. Unfortunately though I think updates are gonna be a bit slow from here on out. I kinda burnt myself out working almost non stop the last 7 months lol.

outta nowhere a great & comic suit came to life just like magic! Man i love your work. :love

can you post some progress pics and more pics of the finished product? simply amazing.
Yea I was planning on posting some WIP pics I have and some pics of the individual pieces. I'm at work so ill post them when I get home.

Hey it just occured to me I should probably throw up some reference photos for those who are unfamiliar with the Extremis version of Iron Man:
standingfron.jpg

Sketch.jpg

IMside.jpg

And here are some WIP pics and pics of some of the pieces in their current state. I will be re-sanding/painting all the parts soon. I was in such a rush to get it done for halloween that I think everything needs to be done again:

2010-05-10205434.jpg

2010-05-13231843.jpg

2010-05-25215002.jpg

2010-06-05221722.jpg

2010-06-12182325.jpg

2010-11-03152619.jpg

2010-11-03152755.jpg

2010-10-02175852.jpg

2010-10-02175837.jpg

2010-11-04165325.jpg

This piece was made from 3 separate sheets of craft foam that were molded, cast in silicone then bonded together to create a sturdy yet flexible upper thigh.

2010-10-09134104.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back