I am MR free!

Pastor Jedi

done

I finally sold my last MR lightsaber! The only lightsabers I own are fan made props, including my own home made ones. I feel that they are more accurate and easier to handle as far as weight and dimensions. I put my money where my mouth was. I am looking forward to aquiring a couple of Luke Hero version ROTJ blanks from an RPF member in the next couple of weeks. I own the following: Ben/Luke Shared Stunt, Luke ROTJ V-2 and Hero, Windu AOTC, Obi TPM-ROTS-ANH (weathered), Luke ANH, Vader ROTJ EL. It was VERY disapointing when selling my MR sabers that people were so hung up on not having the COA's. Afterall, to me it's the saber that counts. They had the MR logo's on the pommels!!

Last edited:
well i myself own a couple of home made lightsabers and one master replica and i like them all. the thing with the ''fan made'' or the ''home made'', is that you can be close to 100% accuracy but won't ever be sure. As for licensed replicas,you are 100% sure to get close to an original props. about the coa's,i think it's part of the whole ''accuracy authenticity deal''.

No; that's a common misconception, but definitely not the case. Concessions are made with a number of licensed replicas. Some are indeed quite accurate, but not all. The fact that a prop is licensed only guarantees a relationship with the studio; it has nothing to do with accuracy. Having worked for/with a number of different companies over the years, I assure you; best guesses are sometimes made on a corporate level just as often as they are from someone's garage.

Licensees are often hobbled by the necessity to homogenize props for the general public. In the course of 'idealizing' a piece so a given prop fits in the mind's eye of the the average customer, numerous details can be lost. Then come the compromises on finish, materials, etc.

Like I said, some but not all are accurate. The point: A COA certifies a piece was made by a particular company; it's hardly a testimonial to accuracy. Most high-end collectors (with whom I'm familiar at least) have dumped out on the branded stuff and seek the limited artisan replicas. This is especially the case with regard to sabers when the buyer/collector insists on owning pieces built from the correct found parts.

the thing with the ''fan made'' or the ''home made'', is that you can be close to 100% accuracy but won't ever be sure. As for licensed replicas,you are 100% sure to get close to an original props. about the coa's,i think it's part of the whole ''accuracy authenticity deal''.

Last edited:
I thought MR did an incredible job with their sabers and although having a real Graflex is nice, MR was as close as it gets. I am looking at either getting a loose MR luke graflex or the real thing right now, the monies for either are about the same. There is nothing like converting a real Graflex, but finding a good one is rare and now sifting through the fakes out there is a real issue. I would be just as happy having a licensed MR knowing the value will be there as well.

It's all about what's important to you. I'm a Trek fan and I want those pieces to be as accuarte as possible. As such I sold most of my MR Trek replicas in favor of more accurate fan made pieces. I like Star Wars but am not a huge fan. The MR sabers in my collection are good enough for me.

Excellent post!

My comment was more so addressing the misconception that a COA somehow certifies 'accuracy.'

It's all about what's important to you. I'm a Trek fan and I want those pieces to be as accuarte as possible. As such I sold most of my MR Trek replicas in favor of more accurate fan made pieces. I like Star Wars but am not a huge fan. The MR sabers in my collection are good enough for me.

Had to laugh at this one concerning MR and accuracy, especially with the TOS Trek props as they were ripped to shreds when they finally got into Board members hands. :lol

And you are correct. COA only means that the studio authorized the piece. Nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Had to laugh at this one concerning MR and accuracy, especially with the TOS Trek props as they were ripped to shreds when they finally got into Board members hands. :lol

The only two TOS Trek MR pieces I kept are the Klingon disruptor and the Tricorder.

I grew to hate that fat bottom comm they made. It was the first piece I sold.

I still have mine, I'm with Freddie and Queen I love fat bottom girls and comms! :lol

And you are correct. COA only means that the studio authorized the piece. Nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

The only two TOS Trek MR pieces I kept are the Klingon disruptor and the Tricorder.

I grew to hate that fat bottom comm they made. It was the first piece I sold.

i understand and mostly agree but i simply pointed out that the relation with the studio would normally give access to important details for accuracy. Sometimes,some details aren't available else where.

No; that's a common misconception, but definitely not the case. Concessions are made with a number of licensed replicas. Some are indeed quite accurate, but not all. The fact that a prop is licensed only guarantees a relationship with the studio; it has nothing to do with accuracy. Having worked for/with a number of different companies over the years, I assure you; best guesses are sometimes made on a corporate level just as often as they are from someone's garage.

Licensees are often hobbled by the necessity to homogenize props for the general public. In the course of 'idealizing' a piece so a given prop fits in the mind's eye of the the average customer, numerous details can be lost. Then come the compromises on finish, materials, etc.

Like I said, some but not all are accurate. The point: A COA certifies a piece was made by a particular company; it's hardly a testimonial to accuracy. Most high-end collectors (with whom I'm familiar at least) have dumped out on the branded stuff and seek the limited artisan replicas. This is especially the case with regard to sabers when the buyer/collector insists on owning pieces built from the correct found parts.

Exactly! Making a lightsaber, a blaster, or another prop from original parts is in the end like holding the real screen used prop. Many licensed prop replicas are very accurate, but most of the time the props made with original parts will beat them in accuracy. Though you can keep some of the licensed display cases and stands which are nicely made. And we shouldn't forget there are also collectors who prefer licensed stuff, just because it is licensed, and they do not care nor know too much about accuracy.

When I compare the mr sabers and real props,easy to choose real stuff,mr are not accurate,however about obiwan saber,they didi it before everyone knew what it was made from,now it's easier to find the good parts,even there are many details and variations,especially on grenade.

''fan made'' or the ''home made'', is that you can be close to 100% accuracy but won't ever be sure. As for licensed replicas,you are 100% sure to get close to an original props.

Isn't that saying pretty much the same thing? :cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back