HUGE 1/72 Dragon Saturn V, best part... cheap!!!

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
l_DRW50388_MFU1.jpg

Insane size, insane low price on this monster.

Dragon has been making lots of Apollo mission and other space hardware lately.

Not a lot of pictures yet but check it out.

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/welcome.asp

Dragon Models 50388 - Saturn Rocket Diecast Model, NASA, "Apollo 11", Launch July 16th, 1969: The Flying Mule

WOW! I thought my 1/96 scale version was big! Gonna have to pick this one up.

Robert

Yeah I built the Revell up many years ago and I've displayed it ever since.

I have some of the Dragon 1/72 Apollo stuff and it's impressive in detail for pre-built stuff.
So hoping the Saturn will continue that. I wonder though if the stages will seperate and have actual detailed engines? I think maybe they skip that and that is why it's cheap. We shall see.

They also have a 1/48 LEM coming soon.

Hope they do a rover!

Hi, What a great looking model. I can't seem to see the price listed though can you help?
The detail on the Dragon Space Series plastic kits is brilliant, if this matches them, then this will be really special.

Last edited:
Impressive, but I have a 1:1 scale replica in my backyard.

What? you live in Huntsville (which has the only REPLICA 1/1 Saturn V anywhere along side a real Saturn on its side). ;)

I know Dragon is going to do a kit of this as well. The fact that the price point for the pre-built is in the low $200s should bode well for the kit price as I would anticipate it to be in the mid $100 range. That should keep the bank account in check when it comes out, although it is yet ANOTHER thing for me to buy, along with the 1/350 TOS E and the OTHER stuff Dragon is doing (such as a 1/72 Mercury Redstone).

Wow pre-built for that price. Down here we'll pay way more for it. Stoopid really dragon are based in HK and yet you guys always seem to get way better prices on these kits. Still looking forward to picking on up.

I doubt it's metal or much metal.
I think right now they are just using a generic Dragon product description perhaps.

Well, technically even plastic is shot in a die, right? Or is an injection tooling different from a die used to cast metal pieces?

What? you live in Huntsville (which has the only REPLICA 1/1 Saturn V anywhere along side a real Saturn on its side). ;)

I was waiting for someone to call me out for a typo or just being a jerk, but you figured it out. I do live in Huntsville and the full size vertical replica is a few blocks from where I live, so I see it every day.

I pre-ordered one. The delivery date was originally December 2011, but has now been moved to January, 2012. Hopefully, they will have addressed a few incorrect details between the preliminary display model and the final release.

At five feet tall, though, I wasn't going to pass this up even if there are a few errors that I would have to correct.

E

Well, kit wise we will soon see part of the saturn in kit form. The Apollo 10 CSM and LM are coming out as a kit in January from Dragon. They did it as a prebuilt and like the pre-built, it will have a LES escape tower, the Boost Protective cover and a clear LM garage piece to house the LM. So now they just need to do everything from the S-IVB back in kit form (and do a Saturn 1B as well).

I doubt it's metal or much metal.
I think right now they are just using a generic Dragon product description perhaps.

Looks like it may be...

Dragon Models Aerospace Program

The Dragon Models "Aerospace Program" range presents detailed, ready-made diecast models of spacecraft and launch vehicles.
Dragon Models "Aerospace Program" diecast spacecraft feature:
  • Diecast metal construction with some plastic components.
  • Realistic panel lines, antennas, access panels and surface details.
  • Pad printed markings and placards that won't fade or peel like decals.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back