HUGE 1/72 Dragon Saturn V, best part... cheap!!!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by CessnaDriver, Oct 27, 2011.

1. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

WOW! I thought my 1/96 scale version was big! Gonna have to pick this one up.

Robert

3. CessnaDriver

Yeah I built the Revell up many years ago and I've displayed it ever since.

I have some of the Dragon 1/72 Apollo stuff and it's impressive in detail for pre-built stuff.
    So hoping the Saturn will continue that. I wonder though if the stages will seperate and have actual detailed engines? I think maybe they skip that and that is why it's cheap. We shall see.

They also have a 1/48 LEM coming soon.

Hope they do a rover!

4. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

That is so cool. Could stand it next to the 1/72 shuttle and boosters . Gonna need some more room.

5. healvis

healvis Active Member

Hi, What a great looking model. I can't seem to see the price listed though can you help?
    The detail on the Dragon Space Series plastic kits is brilliant, if this matches them, then this will be really special.

6. CessnaDriver

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  7. DarkJedi1500

DarkJedi1500 Well-Known Member

Impressive, but I have a 1:1 scale replica in my backyard.

8. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

What? you live in Huntsville (which has the only REPLICA 1/1 Saturn V anywhere along side a real Saturn on its side). ;)

I know Dragon is going to do a kit of this as well. The fact that the price point for the pre-built is in the low $200s should bode well for the kit price as I would anticipate it to be in the mid $100 range. That should keep the bank account in check when it comes out, although it is yet ANOTHER thing for me to buy, along with the 1/350 TOS E and the OTHER stuff Dragon is doing (such as a 1/72 Mercury Redstone).

9. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Wow pre-built for that price. Down here we'll pay way more for it. Stoopid really dragon are based in HK and yet you guys always seem to get way better prices on these kits. Still looking forward to picking on up.

10. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I'm not interested in a pre built, but I'll definitely get a kit if it's made.

11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Wait a minute - did I read correctly that it is die-cast? Metal...? And a completed model? For $219?

12. CessnaDriver

I doubt it's metal or much metal.
    I think right now they are just using a generic Dragon product description perhaps.

13. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, technically even plastic is shot in a die, right? Or is an injection tooling different from a die used to cast metal pieces?

14. CessnaDriver

Bigger picture

[​IMG]

15. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh my god. If they do do a kit version it'll be a must-have. Wow!

16. DarkJedi1500

DarkJedi1500 Well-Known Member

I was waiting for someone to call me out for a typo or just being a jerk, but you figured it out. I do live in Huntsville and the full size vertical replica is a few blocks from where I live, so I see it every day.

17. Mr. E Man

Mr. E Man Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered one. The delivery date was originally December 2011, but has now been moved to January, 2012. Hopefully, they will have addressed a few incorrect details between the preliminary display model and the final release.

At five feet tall, though, I wasn't going to pass this up even if there are a few errors that I would have to correct.

E

18. CessnaDriver

19. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, kit wise we will soon see part of the saturn in kit form. The Apollo 10 CSM and LM are coming out as a kit in January from Dragon. They did it as a prebuilt and like the pre-built, it will have a LES escape tower, the Boost Protective cover and a clear LM garage piece to house the LM. So now they just need to do everything from the S-IVB back in kit form (and do a Saturn 1B as well).

20. PHArchivist

Looks like it may be...

Dragon Models Aerospace Program

The Dragon Models "Aerospace Program" range presents detailed, ready-made diecast models of spacecraft and launch vehicles.
    Dragon Models "Aerospace Program" diecast spacecraft feature:
    • Diecast metal construction with some plastic components.
    • Realistic panel lines, antennas, access panels and surface details.
    • Pad printed markings and placards that won't fade or peel like decals.

21. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

So, who will be the first to get two or four of these puppies and take them apart to make a GIGANTIC X-wing scratchbuild (1/12 scale perhaps)? ;)

I've got a couple of the smaller models and they indeed have some diecast bits on them (such as the Apollo capsule). But I am pretty certain the rocket stages are going to be plastic or the shipping cost will be stratospheric.

22. jonny5j

jonny5j New Member

Looking forward to the kit version of this its a superb looking model

23. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the top looks clear on this pic...

24. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Nah, i think the diecast is intended for the 1/400 collection only guys, thats the Aeropace program series, which the 1/72 isnt a part of.

lee

25. CessnaDriver

26. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

27. CessnaDriver

Good to see all the stages seperate and engines are there for them.

28. phase pistol

Found this drawing awhile back on teh intarwebs. I think it's a NASA or contractor drawing, not some copyrighted thing, so I think it's OK to post. The Apollo CSM looks like a very early Block I design.

[actually I see now that it is a document designated NASA-MSFC 10M03369... a site called "up-ship.com" sells these NASA documents but in fact they are public domain government publications. :lol ]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  29. CessnaDriver

Beautifully huge as expected, and a fine display piece out of the box.
    I can see some areas I want to paint up though for a little tweaking.
    Anyone looking to accurize will have plenty of work though and
    it will be interesting if a future kit of this has more parts.

[​IMG]

30. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

All I see is donor parts for a REALLY BIG TIE Bomber....:eek

31. phase pistol

Buy 4 for the full set of X-Wing engines. :D

32. PHArchivist

I want one...

33. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Mine will be here tomorrow. For $200, How could you pass it up? I have paid more that that for a SINGLE PART for a replica. MANY of us have. Yah, I am talking about YOU guys. You know who you are. :lol

Now...the test will be to NOT completely rebuild it.

Just keep telling yourself:

"It isn't perfect, but it was only $200. I don't need to fix it... Leave it alone...walk away..."

repeat...

34. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

But , But , but....... It needs...... Ahh **** it. You're right.....

35. Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan New Member

I too just built the Revell version last year, after sitting on the kit for probably close to 20 yrs. with intentions of "getting to it". I live about 30 minutes North of the Cape here in Florida, and after a visit down there and viewing the real Saturn V in all of it's glory, it was hard not to be inspired!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Looks like you did a great job :lol

37. Mr. E Man

Mr. E Man Well-Known Member

38. Bama Chris

Bama Chris New Member

This needs the launch umbilical tower to make it complete. I wished they had one for the Saturn in Huntsville. It would be cool to get some of the moon walkers to sign the first stage.

39. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Any news on a kit version?

And how much of this thing IS metal, anyone?

40. phase pistol

None of it is metal.

It lacks a Lunar Module.

The Boost Protective Cover is glued to the Command Module, which is glued to the Service Module.

Many details are missing or wrong. At this scale, the model deserves to be more accurate.

All that said... It's cheap for what it is and it rocks. :D

If you have Dragon's Apollo 10 model, you can pop the instrument unit ring off of the big Saturn, and have yourself a model that includes a LM and removable escape rocket. :)

Bottom line, it displays great, not super accurate, but being cheap makes up for it. And if you're a modeler, you might fix some of the flaws.

K

41. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Thanks Karl. I'm certain there will be resin sets for it, but it'd be nice to hope that if Dragon does do a kit version, they might include an extra sprue of goodies to address some of those issues. If not, I'll track one of the prebuilts down at some point anyway.

42. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well if you remember when the Saturn V replica project started, Huntsville had plans to build a replica LUT next to it with some exhibits on the floors (and a small restaurant at the top). But I guess they were a bit overbudget on the Saturn V project itself and I seem to recall a board member perhaps getting let go over the project for over commiting the museum to it. Still, what they got in the end is something very cool and unique. Only thing a little off scale on that model is the LES abort rocket is a little larger in diameter to accomodate a man climbing up through it to change the flashing beacon light in the top. Plus, with the refurbishment work they did to the Saturn V on its side, they are now the only place in the country with TWO Saturn Vs (even if one is a replica and the other has some wrinkling due to the stages being tested to rupturing in a water tank).

In my case, I am still holding out for an unbuilt kit as all the parts present and the stuff I've heard behind the scenes tell me that Dragon is going to do that. Although I have a feeling they won't announce it until the production run for this pre-built model is close to selling out. But, when it does come out, my workbench will be cleared off so I can start building that puppy!

43. Bama Chris

Bama Chris New Member

The idea of the umbilical tower has me intrigued. I have seen one that is heavy paper but this would be a cool scratch build, maybe put some amber led lights on it. I think there is enough reference material on the web to use as a guide. I saw someone that had the first stage of the 1:96 kit, he was obtaining the Apollo moon walkers signatures on it.

44. habuhunter32

habuhunter32 New Member

I live about 70 miles from the cape and plan on visiting KSC again this summer. Thanks for the pics Tim. The last Time I was at KSC the Saturn V was outside covered with bird * and birds nests in the rocket motors and stored in the blazing Florida sun. I was so glad that they created an indoor exibition hall for her so she can be saved for the future. Mike

45. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Do you think without the base if the model would fit into the ikea cabinet behind if you removed the shelves. I just ordered mine and if won't fit the cabinet has to go.

46. robn1

robn1 Master Member

At 1/72 it would be about 5' tall.

47. CessnaDriver

It fits without the base, I saw a pic somewhere of it.

48. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Cool... Thankyou sir.

49. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

It will fit in an Ikea Detloff case IF you replace the base with something not quite as tall. Many over at Collectspace are getting the round undecorated wood display bases you can find at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, are painting or staining them and mounting the support rod to get a stable base for it. The result is a pretty good looking model that JUST fits inside. Replacing the incandescent bulb with LED light strips is also a good idea, so heat doesn't generate convection which could lead to dust getting inside the case.

50. arnoldo

arnoldo New Member

Anybody know where to get them now? They are showing as out of stock, and Amazon and the bay do not have them.....