how to weather a stainless sword?

ortiz34

Im a newbie, please dont kill me.

IS there any way to weather a stainless sword.
I got a couple cheapy LOTR swords (wraiths) and want to make them look (at least less shiny), since the UC ones are dirty and old looking(but out of my price range).

Is there a decent way to replicate them?

Maybe mist a little flat brown and black spraypaint on them here and there...wipe some on as well...then scratch the paint a little too...then add some more and remove some with a rag while wet...and dry...just work it back and forth...

Spray a little clear oround grooves in the handle and sprinkle with sand...spray over that...

Basicly...mess it up then dry to clean it up again...well don't clean too hard.

Hope that helps.

I don't know of any chemical weathering for SS...just steel itself.

Thanks, I mean Ive heard of the vingegar /water thing but not sure if 'stainless' procludes that...

Originally posted by ortiz34@Jan 29 2006, 05:30 PM
Im a newbie, please dont kill me.

IS there any way to weather a stainless sword.
I got a couple cheapy LOTR swords (wraiths) and want to make them look (at least less shiny), since the UC ones are dirty and old looking(but out of my price range).

Is there a decent way to replicate them?
[snapback]1171154[/snapback]​

Yeah, I don't think that'll work.
I've got some blueing for steel but it doesn't work on stainless...Maybe a dye or stain would though...like some kind for glass...but again, your just painting over the surface.

I'm sure though that if there is a way, someone here will know how ;)

Originally posted by ortiz34@Jan 29 2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks, I mean Ive heard of the vingegar /water thing but not sure if 'stainless' procludes that...

I'd go with paint. That way too, if you ever decide someday to have them "clean" it won't be too hard. If you're looking to dull it up, maybe a flat clearcoat?

toilet bowl cleaner will "weather" stainless pretty well.

it eats the finish off the metal.

ive used it once or twice before. works great on copper as well :)

chris

Thats an interesting idea.

How dangerous would it be to hand;e afterwards though?

The look im going for is the united cutlery witchknig and ringwraith swords.
(they almost look like acide etched).

What would happen if i just sanded them down?
I mean , right now they look, pristine(which is a problem since the movie they looked decrepit).

Originally posted by Stormleader@Jan 29 2006, 06:12 PM
I'd go with paint.  That way too, if you ever decide someday to have them "clean" it won't be too hard.  If you're looking to dull it up, maybe a flat clearcoat?
[snapback]1171191[/snapback]​

if you wash em off, it should be fine (if you were referring to the toilet bowl cleaner idea).

basically the stuff eats the zinc finish away leaving the steel to be "stained" (for lack of a better word). it rusts, needs oiling, etc.

treat it with respect (like you would any other rusty sharp object) and you should be fine.

rinse it off with water, in the bathtub if you want, its how mine worked out. 3 "coats" or washings with the bowl cleaner basically left me the beat up weathered katana look i used for my inu yasha sword a few years back.

chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back