How to make "Aged/Weathered Leather"

kelsobrooks

Hi folks!

Working on my first prop ever!:confused (Will post when complete)

Wondering how to make new leather purchased at a hobby store look old and weathered, without leaving it outside for a couple of years?

Thoughts, Ideas, Pictures, Suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Kelso

i'm weathering some leather at the moment. i am spraying it with black aerosol can then using sanding blocks to scuff everything up.

sorry no pics.....at work:confused

Congrats on working on your first prop!

What kind of leather is it? is it thin, soft lamb skin? or is it thick cow hide?

I believe the Book of Secrets that Sarednab and Tazvader are producing use multiple passes and layers of boot polish. They should be able to help.

here is the interest link:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/national-treasure-2-book-secrets-sarednab-tazvader-116627/

Good luck!

Brandon

Hi folks!

Working on my first prop ever!:confused (Will post when complete)

Wondering how to make new leather purchased at a hobby store look old and weathered, without leaving it outside for a couple of years?

Thoughts, Ideas, Pictures, Suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Kelso

Aged by being neglected outside or by being used used are two different birds IMO

Something that's been left outside in the weather drys and cracks and peels in pretty short order. I'm guessing not the look you are going for?

But for used, light sanding of edges, shove a few creases into it with the back of a blade, then go over certain parts with colored boot polish.

Never forgot the time when I accidentally ruined a pair of cream boots by using my brown polish instead of the clear mink oil....I have some leather stuff that's been worn a bit through use. I'll get some pics up if you need for reference. I have my fancy new stuff too but I don't think it would help much. :lol

200 grit sand paper. You can age leather with a bunch of methods as they are all going to mimic the patina or darkening of the leather. Different oils, moist coffee grounds, Vaseline, chewing tobacco. Try rubbing these various items into the leather. You should have an aged product in no time.

Wow!
Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.
I am trying for more of a used/worn leather look.

Sanding and possibly the oils etc are working well.

Thanks for the posts! You guys rock!

What kind of leather is it? is it thin, soft lamb skin? or is it thick cow hide?

Yikes, I have no idea, I just purchased a pack of "Crafting Leather" :lol

Kelso

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back