How to make a suit pattern viewable but non-traceable

The New Blood

I have seen pattern maker who intend to sell their patterns get ripped off because without permission someone traced their work. I have seen various ways people have done to prevent this, and I am here to share what ways of protecting your work is effect.

1. Don't show the whole pattern.
Only show what you need to show enough that it at least let's people know what character the pattern is referenced from (especially if you are a well known pattern maker)

2. Don't warp/skew each part of the pattern, not all in one go. I have seen people skew their patterns and being a smart alec, managed to un-skew the pattern (not saying how).

3. Don't make the image of your pattern huge. The more pixelated the image is, the more difficult it is to make accurate tracing.

4. Doesn't hurt to blur the image slightly. Generalizing pixels makes it also difficult to see where or what to trace.

5. Its always good to watermark the pattern as well.

Take this with a grain of salt, this is just my advice to pattern makers out there wanting to profit from their talents. Pattern makers like me aren't as well known, so people like me don't have to worry about tracers just yet, but the well known/popular pattern makers please take notice and I hope this helps you guys out!

Leave me your thoughts guys! Also If you have your own ideas of preventing a pattern to be traced but have it be viewable feel free to give your advice! :)

Last edited:
Everyone still has permission to trace the Raimi pattern I have in my pattern making thread. Just wanted to remind everyone!

Tracing that single image has birthed EVERY Raimi-pattern based pattern we've seen since. So it's all you need! Don't be a creep and trace other people's patterns, trace mine because I gave permission.

...OR download Ken's awesome files and use them to learn from.

You'll never stop tracing. (Trust me, I could unskew just about anything if I wanted to) The best thing we can do is let people know the legitimate avenues they have to practice their pattern making skills. Which will actually save them time!

-Nick

Everyone still has permission to trace the Raimi pattern I have in my pattern making thread. Just wanted to remind everyone!

Tracing that single image has birthed EVERY Raimi-pattern based pattern we've seen since. So it's all you need! Don't be a creep and trace other people's patterns, trace mine because I gave permission.

...OR download Ken's awesome files and use them to learn from.

You'll never stop tracing. (Trust me, I could unskew just about anything if I wanted to) The best thing we can do is let people know the legitimate avenues they have to practice their pattern making skills. Which will actually save them time!

-Nick

I know the reference image you made and Ken's work is off the table when talking about this. I hope didn't step on any toes. I wanted to help out the community a little with the information I've found. Ultimately you are right about the avenues and I'm doing what I can for the community.

I know the reference image you made and Ken's work is off the table when talking about this. I hope didn't step on any toes. I wanted to help out the community a little with the information I've found. Ultimately you are right about the avenues and I'm doing what I can for the community.

No toes stepped on at all. I think that this can be a two pronged attack. I think a lot of tracing, just like a lot of recasting is done because the person doesn't know the rules of the road yet. So, educating them about what tools ARE at their disposal so they don't resort to tracing is a good first prong. And then once they have created something worth showing off use your advice to help them prevent their work from being traced.

-Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back