How to glue back together a foam sculpting bust?

GuntahKela

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Demolding my latest scultp, I pretty much decapitated my yellow foam bust. I tried Elmer's glue, but that didn't work. I don't want to buy a new one because I'm cheap.

could duct tape it back together ^^; i dont think theres much that can put that back together except more expanding foam

Originally posted by Kylash327@Mar 27 2006, 09:04 PM
could duct tape it back together ^^; i dont think theres much that can put that back together except more expanding foam
[snapback]1214258[/snapback]​

I second that :D

Place a few wooded dowl rods in it and use a glue called Goop go with the Plumbers Good they have a ton of different one but I find th plumbers works the best.

The liquid nails is a great adheasive, but I've seen it take up to 10 days to set, at least when I do laminate counter tops that is :lol

I had the same thing happen recently too, the best way IMO is using support rods in combination with an adheasive, as someone else mentioned. If the the adheasie gives without the support of the rods, you get a sculpture "face plant". The rods will ensure that it at least stays in place.

Not sure about the goop though. I've seen goop melt down expanding insulation foam. Not sure what it will do to urethane foam. Whichever these busts are made of. I used a industry glue I got from a job, it's like a clear silicone caulk, but fast setting. Also used for countertops. Unfortunately there isn't a name on the bottle :lol

FP

Ouch . I didn't know it would melt anything, I've never had aproblem with it. But with all glues I would do a test area just to be safe. Thanks for the heads up Fettpride.

stay away from air-dry glues, and use a 2 part epoxy, or even Bondo. Bondo ought to work fine, as it it thick enough to smoosh into the foam and lock into th e"bubble texture" on both halves of the piece. It will cure in minutes and you have a armature again.

I second the 2part epoxy. It's the only glue that I've never had react to anything that I'm trying to glue together. Definately use the rods as well, it'll add more strangth overall to the head so the next time it hopefully won't come apart on you again... well at least it definately won't in the spot you epoxy'd, hehehe.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back