How I spent my summer vacation – on the Galileo

newworld

Today I got to hang out with a prop of some repute:

MeGalileo.jpg

That thing is knackered. Any restoration would basically mean a complete rebuild and repaint, preserving very little of the original.

Awesome that you spent some time with it though and thanks for sharing the photos, nice to see the old gal.

Wow is this the same one that was last known to be in Akron, Ohio in the place that got demolished?

Kindest Regards,

Alan

Sort of. The reports of the "demolishing" were greatly exaggerated. Both the facility and the Galileo still survive.

Here's some additional shots showing the interior. The water-stained panels are original.

FrntInt.jpg

AftInt.jpg

It can be done...she can be repaired as good as new.With the talent that is here on this board anything is possible if they just can get their hands on her.I have seen worse brought back to former glory.Thanks for sharing the big mystery from my childhood.They found her and she is still with us.

It's amazing that it survived (such as it is) all of these years. Thank you for sharing the photos of the old girl and best wishes to those that take on the restoration project so that she can reclaim all of her former glory!

Wow really neat to see this cool piece of sci-fi history. I would like even more to see it fully restored one day.

I get the feeling that the only thing that could be done would be to preserve her in her current state and build a one to one restored replica based off laser scans of the original.

Thanks Don for sharing these pics. That must have been a great experience. I too always wondered what happened to her.

Guess she was never in the hands of a true fan with the ability to preserve her from the start. A big prop to have to deal with though.

Jon

Guess she was never in the hands of a true fan with the ability to preserve her from the start. A big prop to have to deal with though.

Jon

Someone who wasn't a true fan would have had the shuttle demolished years ago.
She may have lacked means, doesn't mean she lacked heart.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back