How do you fill the imperfections in your foam builds and make the surface smooth?

brand

Hi, I was wondering how I could fill the gaps and imperfections in my last foam build.

I've tried with paintable acrylic caulk but it does NOT stick AT ALL to my foam pieces. They're not made of eva or plastazote. They're kinda like the Domyos mats.

And also: how can I make them smooth? 3 coats of pure PVA glue don't help that much. Of course the're smoother, just not enough.

I was thinking about an acrylic roof sealant (something that here some people call acrylic emulsion)...have you ever tried this material in your usual workflow?

Re: How do you fill the imperfections in your foam builds and make the surface smooth

For sealing gaps and imperfections I've been using Kwikseal as per Evil Ted, and it works great, I fill the gaps and stuff, sand, then do it one more time and from what I can tell (haven't painted or primed yet) the seals are barely noticeable.

Re: How do you fill the imperfections in your foam builds and make the surface smooth

For sealing gaps and imperfections I've been using Kwikseal as per Evil Ted, and it works great, I fill the gaps and stuff, sand, then do it one more time and from what I can tell (haven't painted or primed yet) the seals are barely noticeable.

If it's acrylic paintable caulk it does not stick to the domyos mats :(

it's something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/85/85d66cf7-c2d5-40af-8ad3-80e08192d531_400.jpg

Gallery Glass Leading works well for gaps. It sticks to the foam, it goes on smooth, it fills gaps, and it's flexible and paintable. Note that the paint over it might not be so flexible.

Available at many craft stores, takes about 24 hours to dry. It's sandable, too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back