How could they have fixed Heroes?

wackychimp

Sr Member
Like many, I loved it initially but it did slide as the seasons went on...

They lost me in the "daddy Petrelli" episodes and I mostly Tivo-ed them after that and watched them in batches just to see what was happening. That season should have been really gripping but for some reason it wasn't.

So Monday-morning quarterbacking here: how could they have fixed it?

I think there was too much of the "we don't want to use our powers" garbage going on. Too much denying, etc. I think people in reality would have gone off a capitolized on them.

Imagine Matt becoming a poker tournament star and getting way out of hand with his personal life. Maybe Sylar turns good (and stays good for more than 2 episodes... that irrritated me) and Peter turns bad (maybe even kills Nathan). I liked Hiro in that he actaully wanted to use his powers.

The Petrelli family back-and-forth got old as did the Noah and Claire "I love you sweetie, but now I'm doing something secret that you don't agree with."

What were it's problems; what would you have done to save it?

I know I grew to hate Suresh. What if anything ever became of the story from his plunge into the dark side? Nothing, right?

Some of these secondary characters whose story goes on half a season, only for them to end up as red shirts is no more satisfactory.

Perhaps they were thinking of multi-season story arcs, but I think it's more likely they didn't know where they were going. They pretty much said that by way of a post second season apology. It's too bad really.

I gave up on it over a year ago, but:

1) It was fresh and fun when it was about regular people discovering they had powers. That lasted only a few episodes, alas.

2) Too much moral ambiguity. When I left, the only untainted character left was Hiro. There were no more good guys anymore. I didn't give a damn about any of them but Hiro.

3) I know there was a strike and all, but they just threw away the New Orleans characters. They had potential. Too bad for Nichelle Nichols...all she got to do was sleep in a chair.

I got REALLY bored half way through season two with the Wonder Twins. I also got tired of READING the stupid episodes. Too many durn sub-titles between Hero, The Wonder TWins, ect! When Iwant to read, I pick up a book! :lol

Season one was great and fresh, then suddenly, everyone was a 'hero' and 'normal' people seemed to be the minority. As much as I wanted to love it as much as I did the first season, I just couldn't. maybe I'll rent the seasons on DVD now that it's over and watch the whole thing...just to make sure....

I hated Suresh and his pseudo-intellectual metaphysical monologues from the first show/season onward. Always hoped he'd be killed off and the narrator replaced permanently with Sylar once he became a more developed character.

The writers got the guts to kill off important characters far too late in the show for there to be any peril felt for our heroes. They should have killed someone we cared about earlier on, and not had a lame copout where they brought them back as a shapeshifter... lame. just lame.

The Incredibles got it right: If everyone's super... then no one is. The writers of Heroes missed this important tidbit.

They had too many characters that they wanted to focus on. It worked well in the first season, but they wanted the roster to grow. Just kill off people or at least write them off. Claire shouldn't have been involved in season two. Neither should have Matt or Ali Larter (I forget her charcter(s) name).

I did like how they were playing with the idea of Peter going bad and Sylar going good. They should have run with that as a full season.

For a programme called Heroes, nobody ever did much that was actually heroic.

I was really looking forward to seeing people who had embraced their abilities, suited up and lived the dream we've all had of being a real life Superhero......

.....never happened though.....

Rich

I lost interest after the 1st season. I made attempts at season 2, but interest waned quickly... I think I watched an episode or two of season 3 but interested faded even quicker.

My biggest problem at the onset of season 2 was that there were too many freaking characters. So what'd they do? They added even more characters.... it became a nightmare of keeping track of who's who. But, worse, it became that I didn't care about who was who. ...even worse, the one character they did kill off in season 1, they had to find a way to replace in season 2 - by having other characters use their powers.

Then to top it off, some people just became too powerful. Peter and Skylar basically became gods... they were too powerful. The creative team got trapped and really seemed to have no idea on how to handle some of what they've done.

The show needed some serious streamlining, needed to weed out some characters and get back to basics.

Seriously, as great as Sylar might've been in season 1 he should've ended there. Move on to the next villian. .. leave some heroes to live their lives, focus on a couple main characters (not a couple dozen).

(Of course it's been a long while since I've watched or re-watched Heroes, so I'm really remembering this without a great deal of research... just what I remember about the show - some facts might be off).

Biggest mistake was quickly killing off William Katt's reporter character. He would have been great as an ordinary guy who was pursuing these freaks, not to kill them but to do worse...expose them.

Ah well. I've still got "Chuck" to live for.

For a programme called Heroes, nobody ever did much that was actually heroic.

I was really looking forward to seeing people who had embraced their abilities, suited up and lived the dream we've all had of being a real life Superhero......

.....never happened though.....

Rich
I agree about that one.

With the first season it was all about saving Claire...then they did. It was a great lead up to nothing.

None of the characters did anything of value except they all just got in each other's way...and for what? Nothing really.

They lost me once Suresh turned into "The Fly". The entire last season was a bust. The carnival people thing was a living nightmare. Claire is Gay, her daddy and mommy split and he falls in love with a workmate. It's like the writers hired a daytime soap opera writer to take over for the entire season. I'm glad it's gone and I was it's biggest fan for the first two seasons.

They needed more scenes with Claire exploring her sexuality, I thought. ;):angel

Quite honestly, they had so much good material to go with, their problem was they went with it all. It's always them trying to cram every story into the episode.. just pick one or two and focus.

For example, I would have liked to see an entire season devoted to exploring Samuel Sullivan and the Carnival, without any of the extra stories going on. I don't see how Matt and Nathan/Sylar and all that crap was necessary. I also think they made a total buffoon out of Hiro, and that wasn't a nod to comic book geekdom, that was embarrasing.

Quite watching it after season two. To me they kept introducing too many characters. The original characters got lost in the ever expanding story which seemed to include more heroes and the original characters and their storylines got really diluted. Maybe they fixed that but I had lost interest before that if they did.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back