How about a chat room?

I checked, and Invision does offer Chat Room software. Depending on the options that we chose, it could cost us anywhere between $400-$600 to add it to the RPF. Kinda pricey if you ask me, but everything from Invision is big $$$...

If there is enough interest I would be willing to set up an RPF graphical chat server, I have offered it in the past (probably 2 years ago) and put the offer back on the table... When I say graphical it would be a themed chat where you walk around from themed room to themed (the themes can be anything Star Wars, Trek, Ghostbusters) room with your avatar (again you can choose/build your avatar with a little work) and chat to people in that room with message bubbles, or a conventional scrolling chat screen...

There is limited server side Java version or FREE down load full featured client software for both Mac and Windows...

The cost is nill to nothing since it's pleny easy to run off of my home cable connection, I will run it on a dedicated computer so I would accept VERY small donations only on a volunteer basis just to maintain the dedicated machine if it toasties up...

forgot about this post, so tell me how this isnt any different then using wackychimps picture service for the rpf as it was offered and is being used? It would be great to chat with others online for this, and its very generous of Flynn to offer it.

Wackychimp is a service that is there that just happens to be used by RPF members, the chat could be considerred "official".

Now if Flynn wanted to start one and pass the word about "Hey I have this chatroom come try it out" then that would be different, even if Flynn never mentioned it outside of this forum, kind of like how RPF-OT over on EzBoards isn't attached to this site so can have different rules.

Or at least that would be my take. Don't know if it is the same as the mods.

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jul 26 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]1288254[/snapback]</div>
Wackychimp is a service that is there that just happens to be used by RPF members, the chat could be considerred "official".

Now if Flynn wanted to start one and pass the word about "Hey I have this chatroom come try it out" then that would be different, even if Flynn never mentioned it outside of this forum, kind of like how RPF-OT over on EzBoards isn't attached to this site so can have different rules.

Or at least that would be my take. Don't know if it is the same as the mods.
[/b]

Im no mod but that sounds interesting to me.

Bringing an old topic back to life.

Did anything ever happen with this?

Yes and no, I set it all up but never actually got it rolling...

But, I just re-setup my chat server this week and got it back online, so I might be exploring a public chat very soon...

I will get my chat server up and running for the new year, and will post instructions here as soon as it's up and configured in an 'RPF' or at least prop theme...

would a chat room not reduce the number of posts on the forums and sort of keep things offline so to speak?

Other members could find the same advice useful.

Just my 2Ps worth

I am an official host for a chat server and if people were interested i could get a room set up there for the RPF, again it is a full time chat server so there may be other "general chatters" in and out but you would be able to use scripts to monitor things like bad language and hosts could do the general "peacekeeping"... might even mean more interest for the RPF as there are allready roleplay rooms there and if they find out there are talented propmakers who make the very stuff they dream about im sure it could become very popular!.
If anyone would like any more info on this please pm me with any questions :love

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back