House of Ten - Master of Castles - Screen shots and City in Crisis Prop.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by NeoRutty, Jun 30, 2015.

1. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A show I sold to Mondo Media a while back is finally seeing the light of day, this Friday.

The teaser is up now...

This was originally concieved as a bunch of live action shorts, but then Mondo gave me money to do it animated.

While the end product is not exactly what I was aiming for, it still got made, and sometimes that's just cool enough.

So.... enjoy?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. NeoRutty

3. NeoRutty

Re: Shameless self promotion... CITY IN CRISIS (My Mondo series)

Aaaaand the Blog Post...

http://mondomedia.com/news/view/5747/New_Show_City_in_Crisis

I titled this thread "shameless", cuz I'm feeling no shame updating a thread no one is looking at...

Nope. No shame at all...

Also, Mondo called me, I guess they screwed up and it's going up Saturday, not today.... So happy 4th America! - here's my little show! (tomorrow that is)

mugatu likes this.
  4. Room8

Room8 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I look forward to watching the episodes.

NeoRutty likes this.
  5. NeoRutty

Aaaaand Episode 1 is up...

It's a 5 part arc, every ep building slightly off the previous.

Enjoy if you will! (and if you like Batman... you may...)

mugatu likes this.
  6. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS (My Mondo series) Goes LIVE! Episode 1 is up.

Next episode going up Saturday... 5 in total... so 1 a week until all are up.

Overall it's getting a good response... Since the series didn't end up LOOKING like I intended (The studio I hired could only do so much with the budget), I really thought I was going to get destroyed in the comments section...

So I'm surprised. And this episode, I felt, was the weakest... they all build off one another, so if this one did okay, it will only help when the others are uploaded.

Either way, I will post them here... regardless of interest! BWAH HA HA...

7. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Congratulations, mate ... I'll watch them later ... but now I understand why the sudden interest in that Dejarik game table and where the much needed gold pressed latinum came from ... good for you :)

Chaim

8. NeoRutty

Rollin in the latinum!

Other than my writing cash, I made next to nothing on this...

I gotta get the merch going, Lucas style!

City Shark with rocket shooting backpack...

Sym-Cha likes this.
  9. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Why is it that we artists have to suffer and almost starve in life ... and those dumm-* bankers rake in the big bucks for hardly any efforts whatsoever . . . one thing remains though within 100 years those bankers and their $$$ will be completely forgotten and our art is still available to enjoy ... think of those famous rock-art handprints ... from a long time ago ... :)

Chaim

Axlotl and NeoRutty like this.
  10. NeoRutty

The awkwardness continues! Episode 2 is up....

mugatu likes this.
  11. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: City Shark is back! CITY IN CRISIS - Episode 2 is UP!... check it out!

I really like these man. They're really funny.

So you created/wrote these?

12. NeoRutty

Yup. I co-created with a buddy of mine and then wrote all 5 episodes. I actually wrote about 30 episodes, to be shot live action, but when I sold it to Mondo they wanted to start out with 5.... see how it plays.

The next episode goes up Saturday, and is my favorite... Looking forward to how THAT one is received.

mugatu likes this.
  13. NeoRutty

My favorite episode, "Year One" is up.

Check it out! or don't... I'm not your mother.

This is your mother's favorite show, btw.

Axlotl and mugatu like this.
  14. mugatu

Re: My Animated Series, CITY IN CRISIS - Episode 3 is up! You can exhale now!

You are right: this is the best one yet! I'm enjoying your series, man. Very funny.

NeoRutty likes this.
  15. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Guppy is just the right tone of whiny brat, and Sharkman...Better voice work than Bale's.

NeoRutty likes this.
  16. NeoRutty

Thanks, looks like we MAY get more. This was for Mondo Canada, but Mondo U.S. is apparently digging it.

Guppy is a guy named Max from my studio and City Shark and The Commissioner are both the same guy, Jordan V.

I had Jordan watch a LOT of Kevin Conroy's Batman to get the feel of what we wanted.

We also just got bumped up to the big league... Airing on basic cable. Teletoon (Canada's Cartoon Network) will be showing it, so tonight I'm tasked with writing a bunch of "Previously on City in Crisis..." pieces for each episode.

Hopefully it continues... I got tons ready to go, and would LOVE to fix up the style a bit... (time and budget took it's toll)

mugatu likes this.
  17. mugatu

That's great news man. Surrogate sharks!

NeoRutty likes this.
  18. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

You know, the rough style actually works for this, it really does. It's your baby but don't dress it up too much, it has a nice throwback feel.

19. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As a former animator I am loving this. :)

NeoRutty likes this.
  20. NeoRutty

The rough style doesn't bother me that much, it was chosen as a way around the crazy low budget... but initially it was proposed to look like that old animated series "The Maxx", with a style similar to 90's Detective Comics Batman.

When I say clean it up a bit, I mean that I never got to approved final model sheets. My original design had single "fins" on his gauntlet... a utility belt... I wanted to really lock down the design.

I spent YEARS as an assistant animator, so it drives me nuts when his head suddenly shrinks for no reason... his traps/shoulders are all over the place.... The Commissioner has 5 fingers at one point.

But I can't REALLY complain too much, cuz the show is working. So as soon as the last 2 air, we start pitching for more eps, and where to go next. For a show that takes place only on a rooftop right now, we have an ENORMOUS world built out. Only it never plays like a superhero show... it's more like a "Louie" or "Seinfeld"... following the life of this police commissioner and the messed up superhero world surrounding him.

Episode 4 tomorrow! - Things get pretty dark.

21. NeoRutty

I knew of all the episodes that THIS one would get the most response, and it's glorious.

Batman fans are REALLY picking up on this, coming up with their own ideas where the show is going. As of now, there are only the 5 episodes, but the response we've gotten will hopefully lead to more. We certainly aren't going to let it die.

So here is City in Crisis Episode 4 "Poor Barbara"

Axlotl, Fawbish and mugatu like this.
  22. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Episode 4 is up! You like your nods to Allan Moore? Check it out

I have a dry, twisted sense of humor, so this one was just freaking gold. Good writing there. If all else fails, you have enough there to do a kickstarter for more episodes, I hope this keeps rolling.

23. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Episode 4 is up! You like your nods to Allan Moore? Check it out

Thanks!

I'm actually meeting with the guy we hired to direct these tonight, to talk about the future of this. See if Mondo wants to throw more money at more episodes. Mondo owns it for the next 3 years, so we can't really do anything without their okay. They also are going to air on Cartoon Network, so they may want more to back them up online.

24. mugatu

These are awesome, man.

NeoRutty likes this.
  25. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

These are great!

26. NeoRutty

CITY IN CRISIS - Series 2 in the work...

Thanks!

Just got a call last night, Mondo ordered another 5 episodes. Just gotta work out the budget with them (there are a few issues with it) but worst case there will be only 3 new episodes.

Mondo's partners, the guys who are airing it on cartoon network, are apparently pretty big fans. Hopefully this will increase the chances of even MORE after those 5.

Gotta get my shark shaped pool and all.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    mugatu, Sym-Cha and Axlotl like this.
  27. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That's great news ... so once you reach Beavis and Butthead status ... at least I can say ... hey I knew that guy before he got rich and famous with a shark shaped pool in the yard ... I gave him some Exactra screws and got him hooked on lightsabers OT style :wacko

Chaim

mugatu and NeoRutty like this.
  28. NeoRutty

Here's a weird bonus vid for animation fans/people checking this thread...

The studio I work at as an editor needed to put together a video to promote our studios open house. We are hiring animators and other such positions for the Seth Rogen movie, Sausage Party.

The catch was, we couldn't talk about, or show anything from the movie... And they left it to me to write, edit, direct, in 2 days.

this was the outcome....

Yes that's me on the left. And yes, I was asked to swear... (I bleeped it out)

Sometimes my job gets pretty weird.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  29. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Episode 4 is up! And bonus recruiting vid for the studio I work

Season Finale time!

Season 2 is being written and we got lucky with a voice talent for the next round. Looking forward to it.

Yeah it's weird to post this in a forum with Star Wars and Ghostbusters and Alien 5 and such... but hey, I'm having fun, and so I'm gonna share it!

Watch the playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJ...fe-4a7d-b48c-f56fce0c7aa3&src_vid=4FZ5mL5dR4I

mugatu likes this.
  30. mugatu

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Season Finale! Episode 5 is UP.

Great finale! I don't know why but for whatever reason, I wasn't expecting the Black Leprechaun to be... uhh, black. I can't figure out why I didn't put that together. Anyways, hilarious and I'm glad for the newly ordered episodes. Congrats man!

NeoRutty likes this.
  31. NeoRutty

Yeah a surprising amount of people were shocked he turned out to be black... even though the description in the first episode was "He must be 3 feet tall, and black, and dressed as a leprechaun"

Season 2 is being written as I sit here... and I lucked into some great voice talent for one of the new Characters. Doesn't mean a lot outside of the animation industry but I got the director of Monsters vs. Aliens and Shrek 2 (also the voice of the Ginger Bread man) agreeing to be in the next series. He's directing the flick I'm editing now, and said he would love to be a part of City in Crisis.

So pretty stoked to get going on this.

6 series and a movie?!

mugatu likes this.
  32. mugatu

Yes, man. For some reason I think I never visually put him together in my mind because I assumed he was just a figment made up to entice the finned crusader to show up. He looked hilarious and the voice/accent in particular. Great episode, and again congrats. I'm eager to see more.

33. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

34. NeoRutty

Yup! Thanks...

Just this morning got greenlit budget on Season 2 so all scripts are now in board artists hands, and am talking to animators to take it on... Keeping the same look, but maybe a little tighter animation/staging...

I'll also be co-directing this next round. Should be fun. Now it's time to grow it out a bit more from being just a batman parody and establish a bit more of the world.

I mean, Rick and Morty started as a Back to the Future Parody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbT...outube.com/watch?v=EbTlK3perdI&has_verified=1

35. NeoRutty

Season 2 is on the go...

[​IMG]

This time, me and my buddy are directing... a new animation team, and a director/actor friend of mine from Dreamworks has signed on to do a character.

Should be good!

mugatu likes this.
  36. mugatu

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Series 2 underway...

Awesome, man. Can't wait to see the new episodes!

37. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Series 2 underway...

Model sheet for a new character in series 2... "Farm Boy"! Voiced by Dreamworks director, Conrad Vernon (the Gingerbread man in Shrek).

[​IMG]

I did his voice record the other night... hilarious.

Series 2 is just getting better and better.

38. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Introducing "Farm Boy"

Also! Since this is new being done by different animators, and in Toon Boom rather than Flash, I had the opportunity to clean up some of the models....

New Guppy:

[​IMG]

New City Shark:

[​IMG]

39. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Oh... we were on Adult Swim Friday night...

Keeping the updates rolling until the show either dies out, or blows up and has a movie with a bigger opening weekend than Avengers Age of Ultron!

We were on Adult Swim Friday... and the rest of the first series will play out over the next few weeks... until Series 2 hits! The show it airs on during Adult Swim is called "Night Sweats". Only in Canada right now... but it's a start... Adult swim - I have a toe in Dan Harmon's pool.

12039658_921975971190137_5449548207268741826_n.jpg

And slowly... very slowly... this is moving to full length episodes. That's the plan anyways...

Psicorp7 and Sym-Cha like this.
  40. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Big ups to ya, man! Congratulations!

41. NeoRutty

Thanks! yeah it really is a "toe in door" thing. The first series got us the second, the second got use more time to fix designs, get a few more talented people on board, and expand the world so we can break off into full episodes OFF the rooftop.

42. NeoRutty

First animation on series 2 is coming in. These guys are knocking it out of the park...

A still...

shark.jpg

43. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Series 2 in the works...

Later today... it's coming... Series 2 debuts.

Series 2 is like a 180 from the first series. We're so friggin happy with it.

While I enjoyed and still love the first series, these next 5 episodes really grow the show in style, story, and funny.

Man can't wait til it's uploaded.

Stay tuned!

CIC.jpg

44. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - Series 2 in the can!... should be up today!

AND WE'RE UP!

Shark week starts NOW.

mugatu likes this.
  45. NeoRutty

Re: CITY IN CRISIS - "Shark Week" Continues! Episode 7 is live!

Introducing Farm Boy!

Voice acted by Conrad Vernon (Director of Seth Rogen's "Sausage Party", Shrek 2, Monsters vs. Aliens, and the voice of "The Ginger Bread Man" in the Shrek series.)

mugatu likes this.
  46. mugatu

These are hilarious, man. Eric Lassard? The Commandant from Police Academy?

47. NeoRutty

YES!

Didn't figure anyone would ever catch that!

Guess what I had playing in the background while writing these episodes.... heh.

48. mugatu

Nice. When I was growing up, my mom didn't have cable or a tv antenna for a while, so I had several "classic" gems on repeat as the background noise behind whatever I was doing in the living room. Three Amigos, the Money Pit, Mannequin, Big Trouble in Little China, One Crazy Summer, and yep, the Police Academies.

There's a special place in my heart for all of those.

49. NeoRutty

So we are aiming for a full blown series of this (which would then leave the rooftops) but a lot is riding on how this is received on the Mondo channel.

It is being VERY well received. Next to no negative feedback (and there is often a LOT of hate for shorts on the Mondo channel.

The reason I say this is that a lot of this show is an outlet for me to nerd out on stuff I loved as a kid... it's always going to be filled with pop culture references... And all those movies you mentioned are ones that are pretty much SCREAMING to be referenced.

Especially Big Trouble in Little China...

mugatu likes this.
  50. NeoRutty

Series 2 continues!

mugatu likes this.