Limited Run Hoth scanner and binoculars split clamp assemblies + small threaded Michell cones - machined aluminium

Understood. Thanks Eethan.
I just love stainless steel. My picky eye sees a difference in the finish.
Hey am I too late to grab one of your clamps in aluminum for my Simrad?
It's ok, i did a few extras.
Cheers

Hello there,
first off, aluminium received, and pieces cut for the clamps :)
IMG_20221108_182433.jpg

alright, now, I also got started on the small threaded cone pieces. those parts are extremely small and need to be turned on both side, and are conical, so there is some figuring out to do to machine them.

so, to hold them, I fabricated a small support with a set screw coming off of it:
IMG_20221108_094650.jpg

I start with the long aluminium rod for each part, turn the face clean, drill it, then I cut it and thread the hole. and then, I can attach it to the previous support to do the cone and clean the other side. Pen for size!
IMG_20221108_095320.jpg

and there it is turned on the lathe:
IMG_20221108_101850.jpg

my part on the left, reference photo from Chad on the right, he also provided me with measurements of the part and I 3D modelled it and matched it to his photos.
IMG_20221108_182601.jpg
312968442_687500969175487_7199325777163825974_n.jpg

all the photos are very extreme macro photos, the part is 9mm diameter and 5mm high. it reallys blows up the tiny flaws. I will be using another turning tool for the run that I think will make the cone even cleaner, but I swear this is already extremely clean when seen with your own eyes :)

and here we are with the first steps done for the run itself, faces turned clean, holes drilled, countersunk a bit like the originals, cut, threaded:
IMG_20221108_182537.jpg

cheers :)

...and this is present on the scanner?

Well...obviously *LOL*
Hey, yes it seems to be on top of at least one if the antenas.
But this part is also present on a lot of other parts like wall panels, R2 wall plugs...
I'll have a price for those tonigh guys, they should be finished then :)

Hey guys,
alright, the small threaded cone pieces are finished :)
look at those tiny beauties!
IMG_20221109_171016.jpg

alright, so they will be 6€ per cone. I hope that will be alright for everybody :) I'll add those to the first page now.
IMG_20221109_171759.jpg
IMG_20221109_171812.jpg

once again, extreme macro photos! very hard to photograph small aluminium pieces like that! there is no way to see those lines in real life! the first photo with all the parts is much more accurate to what you'll see in your hand :)

so, yes, the idea, if I'm not mistaken, is that there is one of those on the scanner antenna here:
1668027199275.png

those can be seen on countless other objects, for instance:
1668027242844.png

1668027477196.png

edit: also used on the Vader reveal helmet here:
DSC00348.jpg

now, on to finishing the other parts!
cheers guys :)

Last edited:
Hey, yes it seems to be on top of at least one if the antenas.
But this part is also present on a lot of other parts like wall panels, R2 wall plugs...
I'll have a price for those tonigh guys, they should be finished then :)
Seems like I need those as well...

4x Cones
4x Full split clamp assemblies with insert

for me please

Thanks Matthieu :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys,
Just to be clear, there seem to be just 1 cone per scanner, just on one if the antennas.
Also, no worries, you can just buy it/them directly on my website when the time comes, no need to post interest for those now, they are finished already :)

so far, there was no plan to reproduce the inside tube that goes in the clamp on the binoculars. I had the understanding that this is a found part plug but I'm not able to get an answer so far.

I'm respectfully asking that you please make a replica of this part in aluminum.

It will be easier for everyone than sourcing a tube of the correct dimensions and adding the flange.

Perhaps OdiWan72 would allow you to use his dimensions?

Hey guys,
I'm making good progress on the clamps themselves, I have finished the lathe opperations today and will start milling tomorrow :)
I'll also try to do a prototype of the insert for the electrobinoculars, since mgoob respectfully asked :) :) but no promises, there is a weird knurling between two ridges, I need to see how to do that and if I can!
cheers
IMG_20221112_180213.jpg

Hey guys :)
I've just seen a couple people posting their awesome Vader reveal on facebook and had a reveal of my own! I just remembered the small threaded cone pieces are also used on the Vader reveal helmet, I knew I saw that before! they are the two feed tubes ends visible here:
DSC00348.jpg

cheers

Hey there,
making good progress on the clamps,
left to do: small holes inside the large holes, front hole and threading for the tightening screw, slot in the front, then some cleaning and finaly, if it works nicelly, the acid bath.
IMG_20221114_174106.jpg

cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back