Horizon: Zero Dawn - Full Size Watcher project

Knightfall3D

Hi All,

Ever since Horizon came out on PS4 I've harboured a desire to build one of the robots at full size - and the most sane one to attempt is probably the Watcher as it is generally the smallest and simplest! Now it's out on PC I have been able to get some really nice high resolution screenshots, so the project has come back to life.

My plan is for this to live in my back garden...watching...our back gate. I will be adding lighting etc to the head, and if I can make it fit, a wireless CCTV camera. It will be static, supported by an internal frame, and hopefully sealed and durable enough to survive UK weather in all its damp, depressing glory. The area its going is sheltered by trees and a fence so it is out of the worst of the weather, but still...

My plan (at this point in time, this may change) is to have it built around in internal PVC pipe frame, as I can curve this to the pose I want, and also provides a useful waterproof channel to run wiring through. The frame will be embedded into the ground a way to give it more stability. The large forms will probably be carved from XPS foam and then sealed with something hard, either Epoxy or Fibreglass resin (I'm aware the Fibreglass resin may melt the foam so there's a question mark over that at the moment). Some more detailed elements will be 3D modelled & printed and I may use real wires etc where they are needed, to get the look right.

I've not got a real deadline for completing this, but given that it has sat dormant for 4 years already it would be nice to have it done before the sequel comes out, but that depends on a lot of factors (mostly weather related...)

Anyway, on to the first steps:

Starting with a known measurement (at least the one as agreed by the internets) of Aloy's height (1.69m) I could approximate the height of the watcher and from there start working out all the other measurements so I have a 1:1 document in Illustrator that I can reference when building any 3D printed parts. There is a bit of perspective distortion in all the screenshots / renders used, so I have fudged some of the dimensions to make them work (and keep me sane), but it's a good starting point.

Hopefully I can keep motivated and actually get this done!

Jon.
HeightOfWatcher-01-01.jpg
RoughDimensions-01-01-01.jpg

I noticed the game when it came out, but never played it. Is this build for your personal enjoyment, or for show? Because I don't think anyone is going to recognize it. I wouldn't. And I watch a lot of sci-fi. I'd be impressed if I saw it, but wouldn't have a clue what it was.
If I we're going to have some...thing...guarding my backyard, I'd choose something a bit more recognizable, like the ABC Warrior robot from Judge Dredd (WIP). Shawn Thorsson has already done 2 ED-209 robots, so I'd want something else. Possibly a Cylon, or maybe Maximilian from The Black Hole.
JMHO

Highly doubt most people would know what those other robots are either.

Cool project.
Someone over in the costume section made a wearable version for cons.

I really should finish the game, a new one is in the works.

I noticed the game when it came out, but never played it. Is this build for your personal enjoyment, or for show? Because I don't think anyone is going to recognize it. I wouldn't. And I watch a lot of sci-fi. I'd be impressed if I saw it, but wouldn't have a clue what it was.
If I we're going to have some...thing...guarding my backyard, I'd choose something a bit more recognizable, like the ABC Warrior robot from Judge Dredd (WIP). Shawn Thorsson has already done 2 ED-209 robots, so I'd want something else. Possibly a Cylon, or maybe Maximilian from The Black Hole.
JMHO

It's a great game with some cool designs that I've fallen in love with, so this is just a personal thing for me really :) Thanks for the suggestions though! - unfortunately the space I have available wouldn't be big enough for an ED-209, although that would be rather cool!

Jon

Highly doubt most people would know what those other robots are either.

Cool project.
Someone over in the costume section made a wearable version for cons.

I really should finish the game, a new one is in the works.

Thanks, I recommend the game thoroughly - really enjoyed it, even on a complete second play through. I've seen the costume one - very impressive build :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back