Hoot´s bike helmet from Black hawk Down question

augofett

Sr Member
I´ve made some research here on the forum and on the web and I found pictures from two original helmets. They seem to be from different brands and not Pro-tec. BUt I think (for some specific details) that Hoot´s helmet (Eric Bana) is a Pro-tec bike helmet. What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
From pictures of originals and screen grabs, my opinion is that Hoot´s (Bana) may be classic Pro-tec; Sanderson´s (Fichtner) may bea Triple 8Brainsaver and Wex´s (Coates) may be a 187 Killer Pads; all sanded to kill the gloss finish.

Last edited:
I know there's gonna be people asking "why don't Delta Operators wear Kevlar helmets?". I would just like to mention that Delta would've worn these helmets because it's lighter, more comfortable, and increases your field of view and hearing. It may have also offered better protection if an Operator were to fall and hit his head. Probably better protection than the PASGT that the Rangers were wearing, possibly due to the foam lining, unlike the Riddell web suspension system used in the PASGT.

They are worn simply for the facts you mentioned being lightweight and having a better field of vision.

They are really not worn for protection as most teams are in and out in minutes depending on the Mission.

USAF Spec Ops supposedly started the trend in the 80's with the Pro-Tecs, I used to see a few sporting them back then

I know there's gonna be people asking "why don't Delta Operators wear Kevlar helmets?". I would just like to mention that Delta would've worn these helmets because it's lighter, more comfortable, and increases your field of view and hearing. It may have also offered better protection if an Operator were to fall and hit his head. Probably better protection than the PASGT that the Rangers were wearing, possibly due to the foam lining, unlike the Riddell web suspension system used in the PASGT.

You made some good points there Apollo, when you said Delta Operators didn't really wear Pro-Tech Helmets for protection. Very true as demonstrated during the building siege at the start of the mission in the movie Black Hawk Down, when the Delta Operators were out of the building and securing the people outside in less than 5 minutes. However, if you weren't immediately out of a mission, the Pro-Tec wouldn't be my choice of helmet during an intense fire fight. As dramatically demonstrated when Randy Gordon gets shot in the head (even though I'm not sure if that's how he had died, could be accurate) as dramatically demonstrated in in the film. Also, nice having an Air Force Veteran be on this site.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back