Honey Comb vader lenses? (PICS)

if you are in the UK - I know Leyland and Homebase both stock this gauge of
fine drilled aluminium gauze. However, I've never seen it in black - so that'll need
spraying matt.

If you look on the left eye you can see where they've overlapped the sheeting.

Hope this helps.

Hi CTF, I thought the same thing until recently, but I think the fine mesh in the mouth is a litte different to the mesh behind the eye lenses.

The eye mesh looks a lot like an old frying pan cover I saw recently, but I haven't been able to find any that match in shops anywhere..

Jeremy

Yep, its quite different.
eye%20mesh.jpg

Has anyone got pictures of the stuff from Homebase? I tried Homebase (and every other hardware/DIY store I could think of) a few years ago but didn't find anything similar.

I have a small sample of what appears to be pretty accurate stuff but can only bought in huge sheets I think it was 2m x 2m. Rediculously expensive. They even wanted close to $100 for courier delivery.

So the stuff is out there and it was an off the shelf stock item. So I'm sure there are other places that have it.

I believe it's just a piece of fabric mesh. Instead of tinting the lens... which can come up different colors in different types of light (I make glasses :) ) they used fabric to darken the lens by difusing the light, without actually darkening it. If you've ever worn sunglasses inside, it cab obscure your vision to an extent. I bet MR figured they would be better off using this method if people were going to wear the helmet. I don't know if the movie helmet used the same method to darken the lenses.

Here it is. The mesh pattern is a little too small though. Must be available in different sizes.
eye.jpg

Fabric? As in cloth? This stuff is clearly metal.

Its not drilled either. Its expanded mesh.

Originally posted by hansicle@Mar 20 2006, 05:04 PM
What about the fabric mesh they use to cover speakers?
[snapback]1209505[/snapback]​

I just posted in my show-off thread what Idid.
I had some silver mesh I got from a member here.
I pulled back the foam liner in my mask just enough to slide a couple sheets in front of my eyes. It tucked in nicely under the tight foam.
The jury is still out if I leave it in...depends on eye fog and if it will start to bug me after a while.
You can sorta see it in this pic:

023.jpg

You are right, I actually thought it was fabric, but I had a chance to look at my helmet just now, but it looks like regular screen, like the type used on a screen door. You can buy different densities of wire screen mesh. I bought some from http://www.mcmaster.com/ , It was brass screen, but the mesh was so fine, I didn't want to paint it, thinking it would just clog. I used a sharpie to balcken it. I used it to cover the grill on my trooper helmet.

it looks like that stuff we used to have in the 70's
It went in the back window of our Pick-up truck
One side had an eagle or some other Redneck crap, the other was black & you could see through it.

You wouldn't get much vision through THAT stuff.

If anyone finds a match for this let me know. I'm starting to detail the inside of my Reveal :)

Originally posted by slave1pilot@Mar 20 2006, 09:36 PM
it looks like that stuff we used to have in the 70's
It went in the back window of our Pick-up truck
One side had an eagle or some other Redneck crap, the other was black & you could see through it.
[snapback]1209645[/snapback]​

I looked at my grease splatter screen, and if its not the same stuff - I'd be very suprised. (I'll try to take a better pic, this ones a bit blurry)

Originally posted by Javamonkey@Mar 20 2006, 04:07 PM
I looked at my grease splatter screen, and if its not the same stuff - I'd be very suprised. (I'll try to take a better pic, this ones a bit blurry)
[snapback]1209686[/snapback]​

that looks very similar
time to get myself a grease splatter screen

No, no, no...

That is not it. That's just this stuff:
mesh4.jpg

The stuff we need for Vader's eyes has a very similar spacing to the one above left (the stuff some people use as the 2nd layer in their Vader helmets) but has a smaller opening size and a thicker strand size.

mesh3.jpg

Originally posted by darth_manu+Mar 20 2006, 11:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darth_manu @ Mar 20 2006, 11:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Javamonkey
@Mar 20 2006, 04:07 PM
[snapback]1209686[/snapback]​

that looks very similar
time to get myself a grease splatter screen
[snapback]1209690[/snapback]​
[/b]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back