Holster Question

cyberpatriot

Hey All, I'm going to make a Red Hood costume (Jason Todd - Batman: Under the Red Hood). I was originally just going to buy holsters, but looking at the video more and more I don't think there is going to be a holster to fit what I'm going to make for his guns. And really, would a real cosplayer just buy stuff!

Any way, I made some holsters for my son and I for our Special Agent Fetts. I made them with 2mm craft foam and wrapped some pleather around them to give them a real look. Now the guns we use for them are hard plastic, but I noticed that some of the foam has been worn off due to use. I don't want this to happen with this build.

The guns I'm going to make for Red Hood will be all foam. I don't know if I should make:
  1. Cardboard wrapped with Foam
  2. Cardboard wrapped with pleather
  3. Foam wrapped with pleather
  4. Just Foam
  5. Other?
Should I put plastidip on the inside of the above to help with wear? Will that put wear on the foam gun or transfer any paint off the foam gun?

Any suggestions or pros and cons I would greatly appreciate.

You could always try Kydex- comes in many colors, easy to work with, and is very robust. Great for cosplay and real holsters...

OK, so maybe I didn't do enough kydex research. I'm making a foam gun and it looks like you have to make a press for kydex. Which I didn't think the gun would withstand. The stuff looks amazing. Can you heat it up and form it without a press and get some good definition?

The other product I completely forgot about was wonderflex.

OK, so maybe I didn't do enough kydex research. I'm making a foam gun and it looks like you have to make a press for kydex. Which I didn't think the gun would withstand. The stuff looks amazing. Can you heat it up and form it without a press and get some good definition?

You can form kydex alright without a press. It is a bit more work, but it is possible. I would suggest using the oven to get the rough shape. and then a heat gun to work on the definition that you want.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back