HGU-20/P Flight Helmet

I would prefer my wife never find out quite how much it is but I have wanted one of these helmets for yearsssssssss. I was like a kid at Christmas today.
IMG-1102.jpg
IMG-1104.jpg
IMG-1106.jpg
IMG-1107.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y) :love: o_O

That is a beauty. I will never tell your Mrs. and I should not even ask, but if you want to share????????

That is just a thing of beauty. I just watched Firefox with my son for the first time the other day.

This is the last non Star Wars helmet I need for my collection so I hope someone does a kit.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I ask how you found it? I have not seen one come up in many years.

There is one in the Air and Space Museum that looks very similar to yours.

Congrats again.

Can I ask how you found it? I have not seen one come up in many years.

There is one in the Air and Space Museum that looks very similar to yours.

Congrats again.
I saw one come up on ebay maybe 10 years ago, for about $4000 and change. I think what's left out there changes hands on aviation gear forums, private collection sales, and the like.

I recall reading something about how some of the Navy pilots were so dissatisfied with how heavy the helmet was during high-G maneuvers that once they got their planes back on the flight deck, the pitched the helmets over the side into the water.

Also, machzeropoint2, that bucket is absolute trash. You should probably send it to me for disposal, you don't want something like that cluttering up your display ;)

Congrats on scoring that piece, its a beauty.

I'm about to unashamedly display my ignorance about such things but I liken myself to an Orvil/Wilber Right nievet'e- [if no one says you can't do a thing, then maybe it is doable.."
Was there a "flat-panel" version of the 3D model for use as a wrap for using the model in gaming? If that's the case- could the "hardware" [not clear/smoked parts] be run through something like Pepakura to at least fabricate foam versions of this beauty?

If you pull it into sketchup, there is a plugin that flattens out the faces, would probably either look rough or be a nightmare to assemble though

I think he is busy playing with his helmet.

I would sleep in the thing.

Do you think my wife would mind if I wore it while we,.........never mind. :oops: o_O;):oops:

Can I just ask again, are the main sections and the visor holder arm fibreglass?
I can't say for sure since I don't own one of these myself. But, given how thin the cross section of the visor frames are, my guess would be they are the same sort of injection molded plastic that you'd find on the visor covers for a HGU-26 P or HGU-33 helmet. Most likely some kind of ABS plastic.The visor shell is plenty solid, though on the HGU-26 P and 33 its just a cover and doesn't do any load bearing on the visors. They move up and down independently on separate tracks underneath the visor cover.

The helmet shell is very likely fiberglass as that is how my HGU-26 P is- a fiberglass shell with an injection molded plastic visor cover bolted to the helmet shell. When I was looking into doing the visors, I was going to go with a clear PETG plastic visor and another one dyed black for the sun shield, as that wouldn't affect the load bearing of a PLA printed visor holder. I was planning on printing the visor frames with enough inner wall sections that it would result in a solid part instead of messing around with infill settings. Probably would be better to just print it in ABS, but I've no experience with that material in regards to 3d printing.

It could be ABS as I guess there isn't much stress on it. To print large ABS parts without warping you need enclosed printer, otherwise it's rolling the dice on whether it stay stuck to the bed/warp/split.

One thing I have looked into that is surprisingly easy is 3D printed moulds to make forged carbon parts from. I'm looking at doing something in the near future with that tech.

I think he is busy playing with his helmet.

I would sleep in the thing.

Do you think my wife would mind if I wore it while we,.........never mind. :oops: o_O;):oops:
Hey now, what two consenting adults do in our free time is our business lol. The arm is definitely not fiberglass, I'm not a materials experts but as deduced earlier by Firefox3D its likely some sort of injection molded plastic. I do have some fantastic news though. After almost 3 years of asking the literal Smithsonian, I was able to get a maintenance manual that has EXPLODED DIAGRAMS!!!
Visor.png
visor 2.png

Great Googly-Moogly!!!

That's beyond awesome!!!

Please tell me there's the possibility there's a pdf of this manual sitting "somewhere"...

Last edited:
I bought this model with the intention of 3d printing it, and its not set up for 3d printing, most of the parts are not manifold solids, the parts are all shells with no depth information, which is fine for a 3d rendering. The other problem is the mesh itself is low polygon with a subdivision modifier applied to it for rendering output.

I basically had to rebuild it in Fusion 360 using their patch modeling tools, the tolerances are not 100% on point, and the visor frames tend to either collide with each other or the top of the helmet instead of clearing it as they should. Also, the visor dials do not include any of the mechanisms that allow either of the visors to rotate when the dials are actuated. From what I remember from watching Firefox as a kid, one dial lifts and lowers the sun visor, and the other lifts the clear visor, which in turn lifts the shade visor if its in the down position. The hinge on the top on the model is not a functional hinge. The bayonets and lugs were modeled, but I don't think they'd actuate as they'd be PLA instead of metal so no flex to the parts. I haven't split the helmet into two halves yet. It would also need to be split further to get it to fit an Ender 3 bed.

Its a long way from being done, and I haven't had time to pursue this further with my work keeping me busy full time. I also have no access to vacuforming equipment for making the visors.

All those little orange exclamation icons on the parts list show which of the imported parts aren't manifold/editable. The white parts are all the rebuilt parts, the black parts are .obj parts from the turbosquid model.

View attachment 1618516

View attachment 1618518

Interesting side fact: I was recently watching an old Chevy Chase movie called Deal of the Century, at the end of the movie Gregory Hines' character hijacks an advanced fighter plane, and in the cockpit shots, he's wearing a white HGU-20P, with a HGU-33 visor cover attached to the top of the helmet above the visors for some reason.
Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping y'all might be able to help. I managed to get one of these helmets without the visor or face shield assembly:

As you can see, it's got a few parts changed out and a few more missing. So I thought I'd ask- how has your project to build one of these gone? Were you able to print the face shield or visor? And...would you be willing to share the files, or could I possibly buy them off you?

So grateful to these old threads. This helmet is part of a space suit project I'm doing for a cyberpunk event, and I'm excited about doing a hard parts project in retrofitting this thing.

Lol I'll be damned if that isn't the exact one I was talking about:
Ray_Helmet.jpg

My build on this has been pretty much dead in the water for a while now, in my perpetual 'to-build' list. I still have the Fusion 360 file I did, but I'm not sure if I still have the 3d model I bought. I'll have a look and let you know what I find.

Lol I'll be damned if that isn't the exact one I was talking about:
View attachment 1756068

My build on this has been pretty much dead in the water for a while now, in my perpetual 'to-build' list. I still have the Fusion 360 file I did, but I'm not sure if I still have the 3d model I bought. I'll have a look and let you know what I find.
Considering the label on the inside from the Warner Bros prop lot...I think it might be! It's pretty close if anything. Shame I couldn't end up with the face shield too. What is this from?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back