Help with X-Wing helmet

RedTwoX

Sr Member
I got one. :thumbsup After more than a dozen failed attempts I finally scored an APH-6 flight helmet. I believe it is a C rather than a B due to the plastic covering over the ear pieces, but it has the Ram's Horns so it's close enough for me. The helmet is in fairly good condition, no funny smells, and it is even a medium so it fits my knoggin. I had bid on at least 4 larges know full well they wouldn't fit me just to get my hands on the helmet. I feel like a 5 year-old on Christmas morning again :lol

So... now that I actually have the starting point, it's time to get to work on making an APH-6C into an X-wing helmet. I need to verify the dimensions for the mohawk. I have already found (and book marked) the tutorial at Richie's Armor, but they don't give any dimensions and just suggest casting off the Don Post helmet. I don't own a Don Post X-Wing helmet and I'm really much more interested in scratch building this.

My initial scalings from images found on the Internet and from the SW Chronicals book come to 40mm wide, rising 12mm off the visor housing and 32mm off the rear of the helmet.

Can anyone verify those numbers? Anyone have any high res images they are willing to share that would allow to come up with more accurate measurements? The worst case scenario is that I start working with those numbers and use the mk.I eye ball to see if it looks right, but it would be a better investment of time if I start of with fairly accurate measurements.

I am extremely excited about this project. I was 4 when my parents took me to see Star Wars in '77, and I've wanted to be an X-Wing pilot when I grow up ever sense. Still waiting to grow up :lol , but now I'll have a "real" X-Wing helmet. It's probably going to take me quite some time to complete this project, but I will be taking lots of progress pics.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

me8ir1.jpg

Sorry, I can't help you with the dimensions. I know exactly as much (or as little :angel) as you do.

But I did want to congratulate you on scoring that fine lid. It's a nice fit on you. And I totally know what you mean about feeling like a five-year-old on Christmas morning. I guess everybody on this board can identify with that. :D

Good luck with your build, man. Looking forward to lots of pix.

Originally posted by temponaut@Jan 24 2006, 10:42 AM
Good luck with your build, man.  Looking forward to lots of pix.
[snapback]1166738[/snapback]​

Thanks Temponaut. There will definitly be a build history with lots of documentation photos.

Hopefully this bump will get some some more action with the day crew. It was getting late when I posted last night. Considering that I don't go "trooping" and all the clone trooper helmets posts of late, I thought the Props forum was the best bet for this. Would I get a better response on the Costuming board?

Again the figures I have come up with are

Width: 40 mm
Hight: 12 mm from visor shield, 32 mm from helmet

Measurements from existing helmets or high res shots that would allow me to more accurately scale the dimensions would be most appreacited. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by RedTwoX@Jan 25 2006, 02:12 AM
I thought the Props forum was the best bet for this.  Would I get a better response on the Costuming board?
Hmm. Good question.

A few days ago I posted a question about scratch-building the flip-down infrared sight for the USCM helmet. In particular, I asked for help getting ahold of a cap or decal of the screen-used graphics. I posted the thread in the Props Forum (but noted in the post that it could as easily have been posted in the Costuming Forum).

The thread got lots of hits but fewer than a dozen responses. :unsure

On the other hand, the responses I did get were great and gave me all the information I needed. :D

I'd say leave it in the Prop Forum for a couple more days and see what kind of response you get. If you don't get what you need, start up another thread in the Costuming Forum.

Say, while you're at it, you might like to start a thread over at ASAP (A Site About Props). There are forums there devoted specifically to rebel costuming.

Here's a link:

ASAP

Scroll down a bit on the page and you'll see a forum called "Rebel Costuming and Props."

In order to post on that site, you'll need to register with the host, ezboard. There's no charge whatsoever to do so. Once registered, you'll be able to post not only on ASAP, but on other ezboard sites such as Aliens Legacy and Atomic City.

Hope you get lots of responses. Good luck. :thumbsup

RedTwoX,
I own an RA X-Wing helmet, and I'd be happy to take some measurements of it if you'd like. It's vac-formed, and I don't know how the overall size compares to a real APH-6B, but if you're interested just let me know.
At least you could have something to compare your own measurements to.
Eric

Superjedi,
Yes, please take some measurements of your vac-formed RA helmets. His helmets look to be in pretty good proportion. If you would include the total width or the helmet along with the width of the mohawk, then I can scale it to compensate for any difference between the real and vac-formed helmet (which should be marginal to begin with). Thank you for taking the time.

Jimbo890,
Thanks for the link.

Congrats on getting a real APH-6 flight helmet for conversion. I can get any measurement you need as I have 10 X-wing helmets, of which 8 are converted from real APHs :D

[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-122-1137995375.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-122-1137995402.jpg[/image]

Originally posted by bothanspy@Jan 24 2006, 04:49 PM
Congrats on getting a real APH-6 flight helmet for conversion. I can get any measurement you need as I have 10 X-wing helmets, of which 8 are converted from real APHs :D
[snapback]1167066[/snapback]​

:eek That's quite a collection. Bravo.

Your offer is greatly appreciated. The three measurements I need the most are:

1. Width of the mohawk

2. Height of the mohawk above the visor shield

3. Height of the mohawk about the back of the helmet

Perhaps you could confirm a few observatios while you're at it:
It apperas that the mohawk has a slightly trapozoidal crosssection so it is a little wider at the base (attching to the helmet) than it is at the crest.
It also appears that the mohawk has a consistent height (with the obvious exception of the break for the visor shield).

Finally: How many vanes are in the front grill and how wide are they?

Again the offer of measurements is greatly appreciated. It will really kick start my conversion efforts to start with good numbers rather than guess work :thumbsup

Red2X,
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I took some measurements off my R.A. helmet, and here's what I came up with:
Overall width of helmet: approx 235mm (hard to judge exactly)
Width of mohawk: 50mm
Height of mohawk (at front over visor section): approx 20mm
Height of mohawk (rear): approx 45 mm

And on my helmet, the mohawk does have the 'slightly trapezoidal' shape you had mentioned. I'd say at the base, it's approx 75mm wide.

For the front grill (I assume you mean the cap just above the forehead) there are 3 slots/depressions, and they are approx 5 mm wide.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by superjedi@Jan 28 2006, 07:59 PM
Red2X,
Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I took some measurements off my R.A. helmet, and here's what I came up with:
Overall width of helmet:  approx 235mm (hard to judge exactly)
Width of mohawk:  50mm
Height of mohawk (at front over visor section):  approx 20mm
Height of mohawk (rear):  approx 45 mm

And on my helmet, the mohawk does have the 'slightly trapezoidal' shape you had mentioned.  I'd say at the base, it's approx 75mm wide.

For the front grill (I assume you mean the cap just above the forehead) there are 3 slots/depressions, and they are approx 5 mm wide.

Hope that helps.
[snapback]1170722[/snapback]​

Good measurements.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back