Help with motion sensors!

fotokid

I'm attempting to build an electronic piece that I want activated by a motion sensor. I also want the sensor to only work at close range (1-5ft). Everything I'm finding online is extremely long range (30-150ft). Any suggestions on where to find one?

Try something like placing one or two pieces of dark patty hose over the sensor, something that is sheer to help dampen the sensor but, still allow it to work.. You might even try a thin piece of cloth.

To have it focus on a small area take a piece of paper or card board and poke a pin hole thought it and fix the paper over the sensor. You might have to make the hole bigger if the sensor doesn't see anything.

Drill a small hole and put the PIR behind it. Plus remove the fresnel lens off the PIR, it will reduce its usable distance quite a bit.

Thank you both for the advice, I'll go ahead and pick up the sensor and start trying these methods out.

hyperdyne- I assume you're associated with hyperdyne labs? If so you guys make great stuff!! Keep it up!

Thank you both for the advice, I'll go ahead and pick up the sensor and start trying these methods out.

hyperdyne- I assume you're associated with hyperdyne labs? If so you guys make great stuff!! Keep it up!

Yes that is me! Thanks, glad you like it. :) Good luck with your project. I've had great luck taking off the lens and limiting the beam of the small PIR window on the sensor.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back