Help with helmet attachment points?

JonnyR

I'm not very good at explaining things sorry, haha... but I'll do the best I can.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is figure out how to attach two separate, solid sections of a fully-finished pep helmet together (by "fully finished", I mean I intend to resin-coat it, etc). I need the two sections to 'clip on' and 'clip off' on demand, as the helmet is very form-fitting and the hole for the head isn't big enough on its own.

The helmet in question is Gray Fox's helmet from Metal Gear (I'm using Darkside501st's .pdo file, modified by Satchmo III). As I mentioned, the hole at the bottom isn't big enough on its own for my head to fit through, so I've cut away a back section of the helmet to make a larger opening. This works perfectly, but now I'm sitting here wondering how to reattach said back section once I slip the helmet on! I've added a screenshot as an example, to show what part I've cut. I've seen this technique used before, but I can't for the life of me remember where or how. Hopefully someone could help me out...? I'd really appreciate it! T_T

Helm Section Example.jpg

was thinking you could use small earth magnets ( black dots on picture ) think some of the iron man face plates are held on this way
1.jpg

Hi gothic, thanks for the reply! :)

Magnets could definitely do the job, although I suppose I'd need to use a lot of them if I wanted to make sure the back section wasn't going to suddenly come away on its own? I figure it's probably going to get pretty heavy back there once everything is fully coated in resin and fillers and what-not.

[Edit:] ... Unless they're really quite strong. I admit that I've had no experience working with earth magnets before, and don't really have any idea just how strong the connection would be. Apologies for sounding like a total newbie, haha.

Last edited:
Earth magnets are ridiculously strong. I would suggest you try attaching an earth magnet to one side and a piece of metal to the other (not aluminium). If you do magnet to magnet they are so strong there's more of a chance you will break the helmet than successfully pull the back section off.

Oh wow, I never would have expected that kind of force from them... I'll definitely have to give it a go! :eek:

Thank you very much for your help, guys!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back