Help with a Prop room

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nǐ hǎo wǒ de xīn péngyǒu! I recently had a my roommate move out which freed up an extra room. I already have an office so I decided to make this empty unused space as a prop room. So heres where I need the help, I'm looking to do the whole room like a portion of Serenity's deck or a room on the ship. This will be my winter project while I'm stuck inside as the snow falls. So any ideas? Thoughts? Thanks!

the room is like 10'x11'. Ya thats a good idea with the desk, building it up like Wash's center.

THis thread is worthless without pics. Of the room, that is ;) And probably a floor plan. And put a meter in the room when you take pics, so we can get an idea of the proportions ;) And give us an idea about how much you want to spend on that project.

If it was the size of a basement, then I'd do the galley. But for a regular room, I would definately go with Wash's station on the bridge, which you could always incorporate a real computer or two to make it a bit more functional.

You could dedicate one corner of the room to Serenity, and use another wall for another Sci-fi prop wall. Just another idea

I'm ready to build and I'm thinking of going with the pink foam board for the wall greebles. It sounds good on paper but I've been thinking of how I'm going to attach them to the walls. Any thoughts?

If you are going to hang large sheets of pink foam, then how about using French Cleats? This would allow you to easily remove the foam if you needed access to the walls or if you want to swap out sections. If you are using smaller pieces, then you could probably get by with double sided tape. I would avoid products like Liquid Nail unless don’t mind a lot damage and cleanup if you ever need to remove the foam.

I'm not familiar with french cleats but I do like the idea of non permanent. I'm going to look into these more. Thanks for the info!

If you put French Cleat into Google Images it should give you a pretty good idea of how they work. Most images you find will show the cleats being made out of ¾ inch wood, but if you are hanging foam you should be able to get away with something much thinner (even sheet metal should work) and keep the foam closer to the wall.

If you put French Cleat into Google Images it should give you a pretty good idea of how they work. Most images you find will show the cleats being made out of ¾ inch wood, but if you are hanging foam you should be able to get away with something much thinner (even sheet metal should work) and keep the foam closer to the wall.

It looks like a simple and practical concept. I think I may go this route. Ill post progress pics when I start to assemble. Thanks again!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back