Help needed to produce a good wood finish on resin grips

darkev2

I'm almost done with my resin Mal Pistol and I was wondering if I could get some help or tip to create a "good" wood finish on the grips. The picture below is what I'm working with and the second one is what I hope to come close to.
MODEL 47.jpg

mal pistol grips resin.jpg

I say play with the paint and see what you feel comfortable doing. Layering paint and use dry-brushing. Paint the dark color first, and then layer light dry brush coats to build up to the color you want. Remember wood is not perfect, so the bet brushing can give you a good wood imperfect look. You can do some sponging of color but feather that out with a soft brush so it doesn’t look like sponging. Nothing looks more amateurish than doing painting. If you want some grain, during the process you can take a thin brush and add some wood grain patterning in, then soften that with the layering of paint on top. But I sat just go for it. Play as you apply the paint and see what works best for you. There is no risk here as you can either like it or you can easily just start painting over it.

Sidewinder has an aswesome method he uses on his Fett Webleys. I used it on my Lewis Gun and it is aswsomeness.

I'll type it up tomorrow if I'm not too lazy.

You need a basic dark brown paint and some increasingly darker brown ink washes and black. And a satin clear.

I read a tutorial once that said to use ivory colored enamel or acrylic paint and brush it on with quick stroked to leave brush marks, and then use several washes of different colored browns and heavily thinned black - following the brush strokes - until you get the wood color you are going for.

Have you considered just getting real wood grips and shaping them to fit?
Yes but didn't thing my skills were up to it. Is there a type of wood that (easily cut and shaped without a massive amount of power tools all I have is a dremel, files and razor saws) is usually used for these types of projects???

Yes but didn't thing my skills were up to it. Is there a type of wood that (easily cut and shaped without a massive amount of power tools all I have is a dremel, files and razor saws) is usually used for these types of projects???
They make wood grips for just about every type of pistol ever made, so I'm sure you can find a set of wood grips that would possibly only require a small amount of fitting at the top. Hand rasps and sand paper will shape these very easy.
I just looked and replacement grips for a single action revolver look to be $50 and up. More expensive than I remember. You may however have better luck on ebay.

I like to use a satin tan spray paint base. I then use various brown shades of acrylic paints, streaking it over the base color in various ways depending on the effect I want to use. I use these paints because it's very easy to remove them if I don't like what I'm doing. Once you do like the effect you have achieved, let it all dry. Be careful, acrylics can be scratched easily and if water gets on it, you have to start over.

Then I use Krylon clear coat. Either matte or glossy, again depending on the look you want. No more then 2 coats usually.

Base coat of tan:
54C68172-25BA-451B-83A7-8F7A5C7F3F67.JPG

These were done with matte clear coat.
wolf_luger1.jpgwolf_luger2.jpg

These were done with glossy clearcoat.
26C2BA0B-0F64-4719-9742-B05152FFDEC4.JPG

Hope it helps.

Much more subtle. Brown base then horizontal streaks drybrushed almost using three progressively darker brown inks and black with a wide brush. Satin clear coat.
32.jpg

10.jpg

Almost vertical streaks on the hand grip following the shape lengthwise.

28.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back