Help needed please with rtv rubber modling

Neo-uk

I need help from somebody who knows about rtv molding rubber.
As you can see by this picture I got big wad of rtv on my diving bell on top of the main viewport which took me ages to get right.
Problem being it's been like that now for three days and I'm starting to panic.
I dont think its going to go off so the question is how do I get it off without damaging whats underneath
(a sculpt of the window in plasteline ).

Problem1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Help needed please

it should just peal off, it sticks pretty good to the tool, but ive never had it where it would NOT come off. of course im assuming you have not tried yet??

did you use any mold release before you poured the rtv, some people dont use, in most cases i do.

Last edited:
What kinda of silicone are you using. Why didnt it set up? Did you not use enough catalyst or did it not set up because you used something that is inhibiting its ability to cure. If if is tin based I would remove the bulk of the material gently till you have as little on there as possible, I am talking where you actually can see clay again, then brush catalyst on the unset silicone, sparingly, and it should set up so you can remove and try again. Also save old silicone and add more catalyst and use to back fill your new mold so you dont waste it, unless its to solid to be remixed. Doubt its a temperature issue. Hope its not inhibited. Hope this helps. If not let me know.

So I got fed up of waiting and decided to get this useless lump off so I can move on with the build. After I go most of it off this is what is left to clean up.

Mess.jpg

It must be the stickiest substance in the world. What a **** job I've got in front of me..I feel like crying

I had a look on the tub and all I can see on there is Moldsil it was opened, closed, left a while and used again but the stuff a bit expensive and I didnt want to throw what I had away.
Funny thing was a did a small test with this stuff first just to make sure and it cured but just took a day longer than normal.

OK so after the major cock up I was glad to see the window sculpt was relativity undamaged.
It's a bit rough here and there but I think it will be easier to just sand the resin version later.
Ready for round two.

100_0064.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back