[Help] How can i go about creating this?

GrieverXVII

Hi pro's of the RPF forum :)

I am planning on cosplaying the new dante from DmC and would like to know how some of you would go about re-creating his sword as seen here
rebellion-1024x690.jpg

I would like to stay as far away from wood and metal as some conventions ban those materials. I was already thinking of plastic tubing and epoxy for the handle, the blade im unsure of?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What about sandwiching some foam around a wooden core? You can sculpt the blade from that. Then coat it in bondo. Nobody would know the wood was in the center.

I would do the hilt out of something solid (bondo or kneaded epoxy putty) sculpted around a dowel, and build the blade out of soft foam reinforced with plastic rod (or something) far enough up to prevent it from drooping. You could then paint the foam to look metallic.

I think that using foam mats would work for the same reason that they work for other costuming applications. I think using a hard material for the hilt is necessary because with time and heat, foam compresses and you don't want a hot day at a con to ruin your hard work.

This is a great sword build thread I found to be just mesmerizing!!
http://www.therpf.com/f9/save-queen-sword-ff-ix-finished-prop-161321/
The blade is MDF, the hilt and handle, sculpted, molded, cast, a whole lot of hard stuff,
but it looks AMAZING......
You might can gather some ideas and techniques from this build.

Here are some other sword build threads,
http://www.therpf.com/search.php?searchid=7378366
using different materials and methods. Hopefully you can find something helpful in some of them.

Shylaah

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back