Help displaying the hero Sodan staff weapon

nimo

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of the hero/working Sodan staff weapon :love from the recent Stargate auction and I am in a bit of a dilema regarding the best way of displaying it.

To my surprise, the weapon came with a very nice transport box. Nice as in leather handle, metal corners, padded, wooden box; see attachments:

View attachment 38615 View attachment 38616

It looks like they intended to use it a lot (after all they user the full length weapons for many years), but I suppose some screenwriter prematurely killed all the Sodan and ended the weapon's movie career :cry

Anyway, I can either lose the box (let it collect dust in the garage) or use it in the display (although I have no idea how). I'm agonising over the two choices because the box is after all just a transport box (right?), but on the other hand it was made for and together with the weapon. But then again, in the box it can only be stored in the closed position. You see where I'm going?

So, can any of you help me with some suggestions?

Thanks,
Nimo

Good man !!!!
I had the opportunity to try it and take photos and video !
I envy you ^^ ... if one day, you want to sell it.... you can be sure that it will have a special place during all exhibition of my association's museum :)

...but I don't understand where you want to go.... :/

If you don't care about the display box too much, then why don't you keep the box to display it in? Maybe the wood can be stained, lacquered, and then something behind the open lid to prop it up a little and it might look good like that.

display it in the box half opened and maybe add a mirror or black glossy plexiglass to the upper half...
nice idea with the lacquered wodden look! :):thumbsup

congrats on the staff weapon!

Stain and polyurethane finish or paint the box. Then get a custom plexiglass or acyrlic sheet piece with triangles on the end made to keep the box 'wedged' open and to fit just inside the box lower inside and lid lip to keep the dust off of it.

Congrats on the win and beating me on it for the win.

Any chance of giving us some close up shots of the head opening mechanism?

Hey!

The only thing I would be concerned about with storing it in the transport box is if the material is sufficient to preserve the Staff weapon.. I know some people may find me paranoid but I would check back with Propworx and ask them which materials they used.. Depending on the material it could detoriate over time migrating possible harmful fumes (that's why I don't trust wood after all).. You could think about a display set-up with the Staff weapon hanging freely in.. Or something that I thought about, make a display with guitar holders and have the Staff Weapon seated on these (maybe a horizontal).. Would definately think about a display case though, so that dust can't damage the mechanics.

And ya congratulations on the win! :) Thought about bidding on it too.. I'm glad that the Staff Weapon went to someone who cares about it and to a (hopefully) fellow RPF member!

Congrats on the win man, its a great piece. Now...how many times have you opened it....alot ?:p

I would suggest keeping it in the case and leave it open on occasions or if you can get a replacement lid for it with a plexiglass window or full plexiglass lid so you can keep it safe from dust etc. but still have it on display?

If I understand well, the taff has been broken and don't open any more ?
Did you look if there is an OFF/ON swtich somexhere ?

Thank you all for your answers!

I'm currently leaning toward using its own box for display and keeping the box half opened with a custom piece of Plexiglas seems like nice idea. I just received the confirmatiom from Propworx that it was a production made box and I'm still on the fence regarding the staining and varnishing.

Now, regarding the staff being broken: it seems that at some point a battery had leaked inside the battery compartment and the salt residue was preventing the batteries from sliding freely and made their removal very difficult. You can imagine what I felt when I unpacked it and it was not only not working, but it also had some batteries stuck inside it! Anyway, I was barely able to extract the batteries with some long nose pliers and after carefully cleaning the salt and putting in some fresh batteries, joy of joys : YouTube - Sodan staff weapon test .

Now I have a tough time refraining from playing with it all the time. Very tough time. But I'm holding on :lol

The servo motor is somewhere inside the head, but I can't see it. As you can see from the pictures, the head does not open very much (as opposed to those from the feature film) and you can barely see some parts of the mechanism.

Here are some more details:

the battery compartment:
View attachment 38662

the "trigger" for opening and closing:
View attachment 38663

the on/off switch:
View attachment 38664

the business end:
View attachment 38665
View attachment 38666

All the best!

Just ran across your thread while doing some research and had to comment. What an amazing piece and I hope that you're still enjoying it greatly! =)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back