HELP: Blind Cylon Centurion!

RayR

I have a 2 year old Cylon Centurion mask from Kropserkel that has gone blind. The first year it sat quietly on a shelf. For about the last year, I have had it connected to a 9V transformer and motion detector so it comes on when you walk near.

A few days ago it stopped lighting up. First I thought the transformer gave up. I put in a 9V battery and it still failed. I worked the on/off switch and one time saw a tiny flash of light. It's basically inoperative. Kropserkel says they don't do repairs but can replace it. That is killing me to think of spending another $125 on fixing this or having it sit there not functioning.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any thoughts on an easy fix? They really installed this well and I wouldn't want to try and replace it myself.
I'd appreciate any helpful input! Cylon 1.jpgCylon 2.jpg

I have a Kropserkel cylon from about the same year. Its possible that the wires leading up to where the battery connects couldv'e been pulled a little loose. Try turning it into the on position, put in a new battery(A low or bad battery can cause it to fail. Had that experience with mine), and just try wiggling the wires to see if any kind of power gets through. It could also be that the on/off switch went bad. You will have to determine if power is getting from the switch to the LED electronics. If you can't do this yourself, try finding someone with the equipment to do a proper test for you(Have them test the battery connector too). I would try those options first before you think about replacing the LEDs. If the whole LED component burnt out, your kinda SOL and it looks like it'd be a pain to replace. You'd have to dremel the old one out to replace it. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Snowtrooper. The thing has been sitting untouched on a shelf all connected up for a year, so it's hard for me to accept that the wiring went loose or the switch went bad. But I will try your suggestions. I wonder if it could be a diode. but still, no power surges, nothing that I know of to precipitate the problem.

You never know when you deal with electrical problems. I had a light switch that I replaced in my house go bad within one months use. I've seen wires work themselves loose, although constant vibrations were usually the culprit. I hope it ends up being something simple. Let me know how it turns out.

Good morning RayR,

Sometimes corrosion plays a big part in electrical contacts not "closing" properly.
Corrosion can effect cold solder joints as well.

Is there a way to get at the wires of the switch and short them together yourself?
If it still does not light you can eliminate the switch as being faulty and then check something else.
Be sure and start with a good power source as well.....
Do you have access to the electronics circuit? If it is a programmable micro chip you may be screwed.
In the old days, the scanning was done the hard way, but could at least be repaired in some fashion...
If it is micro controlled, you will have to reprogram it yourself.
I to dabbled in Cylon "Red Eye" creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk0Ye2Vo7Y

propmaster2000

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back