helmet help,

thebigbadwolf

Sr Member
hey guys any ideas on how id be able to fit some kind of motor in to a iron man helmet then make the face lift up and down ?

i have some ideas but im stumped on the piece that pulls up the faceplate

thanks chopper, i was thinking about that design too but i hate not knowing how to rig circuits etc, or this would have
been done already lol

i also found this one, which i think i will use, it was one of my ideas and now i seen it works so sounds good to me,
im still sort of worryed about the size i have to play with tho ..

Could you post a picture or two of the helmet and the way it's mounted? I could help brainstorm some ideas. It sort of depends on how much space you have to work with, and what directions of motion you need to do it in.

I wonder if a worm gear drive would do the trick. I have a few of those left over from those CD-R drives I've been taking apart, and if you could find a way to put a slide onto it that latches onto the helmet, that might work. The motor is a stepper motor, though, not a regular DC motor, so you'd need some sort of driver circuit for it.

Any way to modify a cd rom track to do it? That would open smoothly. I saw a thread where someone used the same method for pred wrist gauntlets. Damn my memory.

does it have to be motorized? Why not spring loaded with a push release? Almost like a push to close latch? or a magnetic spring loaded touch latch. I don't mean use one per se, but the concept works for me. my $0.02

Simon

Any way to modify a cd rom track to do it? That would open smoothly. I saw a thread where someone used the same method for pred wrist gauntlets. Damn my memory.
Here's the thread where I described how I made my gauntlets with an old CD-ROM mechanism. I'm not sure if there's really enough room in an Iron Man helmet to put the drive motor in there, though, since it sounds a little tight. That's why I was suggesting the worm gear mechanism from the head positioning motor. Usually that's a stepper motor, but I have a couple older drives that use a regular old DC motor with gearing that might work for this purpose.

Bovine13, BigBadWolf,

I think it was MasterLe...

I've been working on an opener, and was waiting on one part... it came in this week finally (they sent it UPS Ground from back East :) ) and it looks like it will lift the face, its pretty strong....

Now to figure the mechanical part of it, how to have the face open without snagging on the helmet side sections that stick out forward...

---
Ei'luj

Try smaller radio controlled servos, and incorporate the radio transmitter into your suit. Or try some of the smaller motors and rail systems similar to the retractable antennas in some vehicles. A cheap alternative that might work could be Legos believe it or not. They made some models that had small battery controlled motors with rail systems that were small and light; they could be easily configured to work inside of a helmet. Just some ideas to experiment with!

Master Lee is not going to help you. there are plenty of threads on the RPF about that dude not telling anyone his "secrets"
he not held in too high regard on there.

there are a couple others though who will share, can't remember who though.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back