Hellboy Trench Coat

I'm sorta looking around for that too, for a possible 1:1 display. (You're talking about the movie version, correct?)

Been talkin' a bit with Indy Magnoli about it too. He can most likely make one for a reasonable cost and he's in your neck of the woods.

I know Abbyshot was thinking about it too (even as far as Guillermo Del Toro asking if they'd like to make a licensed version... though that may just have been a rumor)

Also, the guys at http://www.xtremedesignfx.com/ did a KILLER Hellboy makeup a while back. I'm PMed "Sejune" here on the RPF about who made the coat but never got a reply. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I was one of the mods on the Abbyshot forums back in the day. AS was interested in making this coat for a while, and Del Toro did want them to do it, but there wasn't enough intrest in the coat and it never went anywhere, unfortunately.

I'm sorta looking around for that too, for a possible 1:1 display. (You're talking about the movie version, correct?)

Yeah, sorry forgot to say I'm after a movie version.

Been talkin' a bit with Indy Magnoli about it too. He can most likely make one for a reasonable cost and he's in your neck of the woods.

Was looking to place a order for 1 or 2 of his jackets this year. If he does offer a movie version. Than a guess my jacket order might go up! ;)

On Kropserkel's site he made one from the Rubies version but it was heavily modified. (I'd be happy going that route if he's share some info with us on how he did it :love

The coat itself does not look any more complicated than any old trench. I haven't studied every little detail and nuance mind you, but it's not an intricate design so anyone with a fair amount of leather working skill should be able to pull it off.

The only real potential hurdle I can think of at the moment would be duplicating the embossed BPRD patches.

On Kropserkel's site he made one from the Rubies version but it was heavily modified. (I'd be happy going that route if he's share some info with us on how he did it :love

Well, the right sleeve may post a bit of a challange. It's shorter to accomodate the RHoD and seems to have some buckles. A little tough to tell.

Making a shorter sleeve is not a problem, nor are the bucles unless they are some special impossible-to-find type. Though if it were made, I would opt for either a full-sleeve or a detachable half-sleeve so that it would be practical to wear. (Even if that would mean slightly skimping the screen accuracy.)

Well, the right sleeve may post a bit of a challange. It's shorter to accomodate the RHoD and seems to have some buckles. A little tough to tell.

Saw this on The LOH

hellboy2bigbaby.jpg

The rubies coat is pretty good, but small. If you paint it up it can look pretty good. I did it to this one..
from this ( I borrowed a pic I found on another board)
DSC00088.jpg

To this
DSC01539.jpg

As for the patch you can make it out of foamies and emboss it with a ball point pen then paint it like leather,, I did this one in like 5 minutes as a test

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

Last edited:
For a recent HB Halloween costume, I used a regular Duster-type coat. It worked out pretty well. Instead of shortening the right sleeve, I just inserted it into the Right Hand of Doom. This also added the additional bulk I needed to fit my arm into the much bigger prop arm.

As a costumer I was asked to research this garment. I found the chief problem to be the vast disparity between the duster Hellboy wears in the comics and the coat worn in the films.

There is also a difference between the coats worn in the two films. In the first film the coat seams to be almost entirely made of leather, while in the second film the coat appears to be mostly canvas with a wide corduroy collar and only a bit of leather in the trims.

In the comics the coat is drawn as if simply made of canvas. In light of the speed at which they must be replaced this only makes sense.

Both in the comics and in the films the best match for the overall garment seems to be the “Australian Drover’s” coat. (Many patterns for this style coat are available but Folkwear’s seems to be the best.) The greatest difference between the comics and the films is that the coat in the movie retains the coat’s shoulder cape, which is never seen in the comics.

My client wanted a garment that was more comics than movies, so I eliminated the cape, but the buckles on the right sleeve were retained from the film coat. (I also made the coat asymmetrical in scale as well, enlarging the right sleeve by 175%, allowing HB to remove it, drawing his hand through the now much larger arms-eye at the right shoulder. This puts a wide box pleat behind the buckles, and nicely justifies their placement.)

My version is made of pale tobacco tan suede cloth trimmed with quarter inch dark brown corduroy, The buckles are antique brass, and the buttons are inch and 1/8th horn. Also both sleeves can be rolled up, (like a safari shirt) and buttoned in place with straps. (In the comics HB is often shown with one or both sleeves rolled up, the addition of the straps was both utilitarian and matched the rest of the changes made to realize the garment.)

One final note; The red and white clover leaf patch sometimes seen on HB’s shoulder alongside the BPRD emblem is the insignia of the U.S. 4th Army. (Undoubtedly where HB received his combat training. His relationship with the 4th Army is probably no coincidence, HB grew up on a government base full of scientists doing “secret” work, and the 4th Army was assigned the duty of guarding Los Alamos during WWII.)

Anybody have any updates on where to buy a HB movie duster?

I need it only for a bust, so only the collar and top really needed.

thanks!

brad

We could look at doing one for you. We've also done custom short coats for busts (namely Joker busts) which does cut some of the costs.

-Magnoli

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back