Hellboy, Krauss & Sherman (DONE with PICS!)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

Well, I'm already toiling away on costumes for Halloween 2011. We're doing a few characters from the BPRD, namely Hellboy (to be played by me), Johann Kraus and Liz Sherman. Since I have never seen anyone do Kraus and since my Hellboy and Liz will be a smidgen different from all other attempts I thought I'd put up this project thread for y'all to look at. All characters will be copied from Hellboy 2: The Golden Army.

Some details on how I intend to tackle each costume:

Hellboy

• I will be using a few licensed any props that are available- Samaritan, belt and construct a few others. I've already loaded up with some locators from Spatcave.
  • Boots tbd. Thinking of buying some rubber foam and modding an old pair of Doc Martins or something as this is not an area where I want to spend major dollars.
  • Leather pants will be store bought and modified by me. (I looked at the replicas available and they are either too inaccurate or made out of PVC.)
  • Latex chest & tail pieces have been ordered from xtremedesignfx and I'll be doing a fair bit of airbrushing those. Head will most likely be custom sculpted by me onto my lifecast (which I already have since I was planning to do a Batman cowl a couple years ago). This might be a tricky area since I'm not sure it'll work to my satisfaction or not. The chest piece I will be using already has a full head that I am planning on cutting off just under the chin and hairline. My hope is that I can mask the seam with Hellboy's hair and sideburns, which I intend to learn how to hand-punch. However, if the chest piece is too thick or flimsy on me I might have to find an alternative solution. Unfortunately, I'll have to cast it in regular latex as I don't have facilities to do it in foam. I'm not planning on getting to this part until spring.
  • While I do have Sideshow's Right Hand of Doom I am going to try to construct one myself, with fingers that can grip.
  • One thing that always seems a little bit off on the Hellboy costumes I've seen is his coat. Most people seem to use modified off-the-rack dusters, which I didn't want to do because they are usually too short, have incorrect pockets or other details that would need heavy modding. The China-made replicas available on ebay all look wrong too. So, I searched out a western duster pattern and made it myself. I was lucky to find a fabric that closely matches the color and fabric used but i still had to do give it some extra dye. A fellow RPFer is currently embossing a BPRD patch for me. I did allow myself to go "close enough" on a few details though. I decided to use pleather for the collar and straps to keep costs down but I intend on weathering it to look more natural. Also, the arm straps are a little too wide and since I honestly hate sewing I decided to leave out the lining. I'm inserting a photo of my WIP coat below. (Note: the right sleeve is shorter but the coat is hanging rather sloppily.)
coat1.jpg

Liz Sherman

• This costume is a bit simpler that the others but I decided to try to pay attention to details that seem to be missing from a lot of fan attempts to replicate it. I also decided to replicate the first costume she wears in the movie, where she has tactical gear instead of a leather jacket.
  • After quite a bit of painstaking searching and staring at much-too-dark screen-grabs I managed to find a VERY close match for the SWAT vest she is wearing. It has a very specific arrangement of pouches that are different from almost every vest out there. The white BPRD logo will be added somehow.
  • For her belt (as well as Kraus') I will be coloring, using proper leather dye, a HCG Hellboy replica belt. This will solve me the trouble of having to construct each one, find accurate buckles and give a sense of coherence to all three costumes.
  • Liz is wearing a tight, ribbed sweater under the vest, that has a BPRD logo patch just under the neckline on her back- easy enough to duplicate.
  • Boots. This is probably the big question mark. She seems to be wearing some kind of multi-strapped motorcycle boot but I can't seem to find any good pictures of them.
  • Hand flame. I intend to try to find some way of making a "fake flame" flutter from the palm of her hand. Right now I have no idea how I'm going to do it. I did have an initial idea of using strips of thin cloth attached around her wrist or in the palm of a glove and blow them outward with a fan or compressed air hidden in her sleeve. (Suggestions are welcome!)
Johann Kraus

• This costume will be the most difficult one to copy. Obviously, some sacrifices will need to be made as far as accuracy goes to make this costume practical. (Seth Mcfarlane, who played Kraus, couldn't see out of the real one!) I am planning of finding a way for smoke to shoot out of the helmet vents, out of a finger and possible swirl around inside the dome. This costume will demand a lot of airbrushing and coliring to get the metallic shine and grime to look right.
  • I have already made a start on his helmet, using an old motorcyle helmet as a base from which to build on (see the photo below). Building the details around the helmet will be fairly straightforward but the glass dome is probably the most difficult item to replicate out of all three costumes. It has a very complex shape that I mayb not be able to copy perfectly within a reasonable budget. If anyone has suggestions, they are more than welcome. My "worst case" plan is to simply buy a plexiglass dome and to try and shape it with some heat.
  • The suit will also be fairly complex to do and I am currently right in the middle of drawing up a pattern for it. I have correctly colored fabric and will (for budget reasons) be using pleather for this as well. I haven't decided exactly how to do the armor plates on the elbows, knees and shoes yet but I imagine I'll use either styrene or craft foam of some sort. I will be sculpting and casting his fingertip valves and for the first time ever I'm gonna try to sew gloves.
johann1.jpg

Well... that's all I have for now. More photos and progress coming soon. If anyone has any suggestions or hard-to-find reference materials on pieces that I've described as problematic, I'd be grateful for them.

Last edited:
Re: BPRD project: Hellboy, Krauss & Sherman

Good luck! I tried out a Hellboy costume last year which went over really well, but the one part I never felt right about was the coat. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

I'm starting my own Krauss as well, and my initial try at a dome is going to be with an oval dome from here: Oval Acrylic Domes

It's a compromise, for sure. I'll be eagerly watching to see what you come up with.

That link might come in handy- thanks! I've yet to find any places locally that have oval domes... only circular ones. Right now it's definitely looking like that will be the only viable solution. The real one seems to be VERY thick.

I'm starting my own Krauss as well, and my initial try at a dome is going to be with an oval dome from here: Oval Acrylic Domes

It's a compromise, for sure. I'll be eagerly watching to see what you come up with.

interesting that you're using a m/c helmet for Krauss. I'm just about to start making this suit for a friend and still collecting info on it.

Yeah, the helmet shape is almost perfect and by using the existing padding you solve the problem of having it sit comfortable on the head. (The side/cheek foam is enough to hold it steady.) I've actually made a lot of progress since I last posted but have been busy with life issues. I'll have some kind of update soon (ish).

One thing I ended up having to do was get a custom dome ordered from a local supplier. It was expensive as hell (to the tune of 250-300 I think) but the standard oval domes available just wouldn't work. Even so, this dome will not be completely accurate and nowhere near as thick, even though it is much thicker than acrylic domes usually are.

Ok, here's a small update, if only to distract me from reality for a while. I got the custom dome today and am VERY please with the results (well, it cost enough, lol). It's pretty thick (over 5mm) for one of these and was blown exactly after a traced vector file of my helmet. They also managed to get it really high, which is very unusual. All other places I looked at would have made this a whole inch lower due to the width. Obviously it doesn't have the flattened areas in front like the real one, but I can live with that. Before mounting I'll probably smear a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the inside to create some lens distortion.

As you can also see the work I've done on the interior (yes I know the front pieces are sitting backwards). Still a long way to go but this is definitely very doable so far.

My progress on Hellboy is frozen atm. I got a full latex casting of his head and chest but it's so thick that I can't make any facial expressions at all while wearing it. So, what I need to do is cut out his face and sculpt a new one over my life mask wearing the rubber. That way they'll (more or less) seamlessly match together and I can cast the face piece much thinner.

Just watched Hellboy 2 today (great movie!) and your work on Krauss is looking great! :thumbsup Can't wait to see how he turns out!

Sounds like you have quite a bit of work cut out for ya. Even though you changed some details on the coat it looks a million times better than ones I've seen on ebay, etc. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Re: Hellboy, Krauss & Sherman (Hellboy sculpt is up!)

Hey all.

Finally got going again on this. Kraus helmet hasn't gone MUCH further but I should be able to assemble it soon-ish.

However... got my Hellboy mask (darker red clay) sculpted onto the old torso (pink bits). My face is NOTHING like Ron Perlman's so I have to aim for capturing the essence of the character rather than try and mimic the exact movie look. (Though I think my scult ended up being very close to what Big Red looks like in one of the stories where he was drawn by a guest artist...)

I've got the mask molded now and my idea is to FUSE a new latex mask onto the old one. (I really love that latex will bond to itself perfectly.) Was considering using cold foam to fill out the mask and keep it soft, since the original latex was so thick I couldn't move at all. a little worried about making a seamless bond between the torso and new mask if I use foam though... that stuff is a tad unpredictable sometimes. It's a little scary because I might only get ONE shot at getting it right.

This is really looking good! I LOVE what your doing with the helmet! Some friends of mine have really be pressuring me to do a comic book version of these characters, so my interest in what you're doing here (even though it's based on the movies) is very high.

Subscribed. :):thumbsup

I know this is an older thread but I might be able to help as I have a Hellboy II Liz Sherman costume.

For reference the Jacket worn is a Belstaff -

BELSTAFF | Official Website - Hellboy II: The Golden Army

although anyone purchasing needs to be aware that there is a Blue version with silver details and the one needed is the Black. Although it looks like it may be discontinued now.

Like yourself I can't track down the Tac vest.

For Boots I use these -

TUK Shoes > 3 Strap Heavy Boot A6055 > £120.00 >

They match as close as I could get, and they even have fairly distinctive screws in the sides of the soles, which match the ones seen on the action figure - I know they aren't the most reliable reference source, but I thought it was pretty damn close.

Hope that helps :)

The necklace I made using silver collars, a wide one as a base, cut into sections. Then a thin one used as staples to hold the pieces together and then a Fimo cross.

Oh, the project is VERY much alive so thanks for chiming in... gonna be ready for Halloween this year so that's why I haven't had time to update! Will be doing so soon, hopefully.

I found the jacket before, but didn't really think there was much of a "costume" for Liz once she puts that on... she looks just like a lot of people I hang out with regularly if you take away the gun, haha. That's why we went the tac-vest route. I found an almost exact match on ebay... made in China... think it cost around $60.

Good find on the boots... they do look pretty close. Not sue how far we'll take the Liz costume as the other two are taking up a lot of time and money.

I'm about halfway through with Kraus' shoulders now... gonna have to do something "good enough for now" with the elbows and knees. Trying to get smoke to come out of the helmet.

Update time!

I am burning full-steam on these three costumes so that they'll be ready in time for Halloween. My Hellboy is pretty much done, but there's still a bit of work to do on JK. Here's the state of the helmet right now. Currently working on the suit and collar, while a friend is doing the armor pads. All the details are there but when you start to scrutinize it, the 100%-screen-accurate folks will find a lot to complain about. There was just no time for me to get everything completely right and I had to skip a lot of the functionality (like the vents on the side)... the detailing on the original is simply crazy. I also thing I've found a way to blow smoke out of the helmet vents. Have some some testing and the results are promising!

More later... but until then, here's a photo:
attachment.php

I myself will be in Hellboy gear, but the wearer will see out through the two openings in the front. I THINK the original had smoke colored lenses there.

that is looking fantastic! i just bought a hellboy 2 coat as well. I really want to see how the weathering turns out on yours. I have yet to see one that is perfect

that is looking fantastic! i just bought a hellboy 2 coat as well. I really want to see how the weathering turns out on yours. I have yet to see one that is perfect

Where did you get your coat? Ebay? I looked around a lot but all the ones I found were just too far off for me. Wrong pattern, wrong material or wring color. That's why I made my own. It looks pretty good being worn.

Here's another JK update. My friend, who will be wearing the suit, came by for a fitting today. So far I am very pleased with the progress. There's still lots to do with the suit- pressing all of the seams to take that "costume look" out of it, weathering of the fabric... the armor plates and so on.

unfortunately, We're gonna have to make another small adjustment to the neck that will kill the accuracy. The suit will be worn for many hours in a less-than-controlled environment so we have to add some breathability by cutting small slits in the pleather and replacing them with some kind of mesh.

attachment.php

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back