Hellboy Corpse Locator Scratch Build - New Light Module Pics

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by madmanmoe64, Feb 14, 2012.

1. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

Update
    The for sale thread is now up in the Junk yard for anyone interested.

Tutorial Finished!
    http://madmanmoe64.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/hellboy-corpse-locator-tutorial-part-1.html
    I've collected together all the bits of tutorial scattered throughout this thread in one place, and finished off the last few steps I never posted.

Also here are some pictures of one of the newly finished compasses
    [​IMG]

Original Post:

On first watching I wasn't a fan of the Hellboy films, no particular reason, they just never stuck out as anything special in my mind. But for this project I thought I'd give it another glance. So I did some research and although I still think the pacing of the films is all wrong, the imagery behind it is actually really interesting.

And although it didn't feature heavily in the film one prop caught my eye.

[​IMG]

The weird compass type device that Red uses to find a viable corpse in the Russian graveyard.

Obviously you can't get much from that scene, but the guy who made it is on here somewhere and his thread on it is really cool, (don't wanna use his images without permission, but search for it)

Anyway it's a prop that hasn't been done to death and presented a new challenge in terms of making, I'm gonna run this like a WIP thread despite the item already being finished.

That was a bit long for no real content tomorrows post will have real pictures I promise.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. Contec

Contec Master Member

3. madmanmoe64

Re: Hellboy Corpse Locator Scratch Build

I don't think the screen used had any lighting in and I found that it caught daylight really well and had it's own natural glow.

4. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very much looking forward to seeing what you have done :thumbsup

5. madmanmoe64

When I first started this project, I wanted to get an idea of what the prop was all about.

Phelyx (creator of original prop) already posted a bit of his imagined back story, saying it was compass like, hundreds of years old, and something that Red may have found and fixed up himself.

A good amount to go on.

But just for myself I decided the main box was made of wood, with gilded details and exterior, and the centre dial was a solid cast piece of gold.

The top detailing looked like vines and thorns, so it had an old magic/nature type influence. The heavy amounts of verdigris looking rust/mould implied to me that maybe it had been lost at sea or the bottom of a lake and then recovered.
    But the vine details still shone bright like Red had given it a quick polish with his sleeve.

Anyway, with all that at the back of my head I began on the lid piece.

[​IMG]

Pretty simple it's just knocked up out of grey cardboard.
    Although I did make a quick computer drawing to figure out what went where, this was all drawn up and constructed by hand.

I'm just giving it a quick spot fill.

[​IMG]

Next I added a bit of detailing with a scalpel and compass cutter. Most of this detail gets covered up with the vines and texture, but you can still see traces of it in the finished piece, so in it goes.

You can also see the base plate that will hold the upper dial (hence the bearing set in it). A lot of work went into constructing and centering the bit that holds the bearing, but the rest gets covered up so I didn't do anything special to it.

[​IMG]

Next I added on the edge detail using epoxy putty. Great stuff but I've never used it for sculpting before, it's actually really nice to work with, not as much control as I usually like, but this whole piece is supposed to have a hand crafted feel to it. You only get 4 hours working time, max, but that's more than enough for most details :confused .

I also drew out the lines for the vine details, tomorrow I'll post how they came out.

6. madmanmoe64

[​IMG]

This detailing was done using epoxy putty. I rolled it out into thin strands then proceeded to weave with it. :lol

I don't know if anyone has ever weaved with epoxy putty before but it's not the easiest thing in the world.
    It took so long that I came very close to the workable limit (3-4hours) before it cures too hard.

I documented the vines on the underside much better so you can see those later.

[​IMG]

I needed to blend the two elements together, as well as fill in any undercuts so that I could mould it without it getting stuck.

I used polyfilla (plaster based, used for filling cracks in walls, like spackle?)

Generally not good for props but I liked the grainy texture it gives you.

[​IMG]

I was fairly free in the way I applied the filler, trying to re-create hundreds of years of dirt that may have lodged themselves in the crevices.

But to keep the smooth top surface I kept wiping the top of the vines with a damp cloth.

Don't think I've got a picture of the underside, but on that last picture you can just make out the beading on the edge, more epoxy putty.

Next to tackle is the centre dial.

7. pitchforknumb

pitchforknumb Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic start. Looking forward to see the progress on this bad boy.

8. TechDante

TechDante Active Member

looking great so far cant wait to see finished product

9. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

A fantastic start!! I'll be watching this for sure!

10. madmanmoe64

My original plan was to rough up the centre dial, and then cast it in carving wax so it would be nice and easy to etch out details.

[​IMG]

This was my first attempt, layers of card built up with an acrylic top piece to make it smooth.

I moulded it but I couldn't get a usable cast with the carving wax, it's too thick and grainy.

So I scraped that and started again.

[​IMG]

This is layers of card with the centre pre cut (left in for now).

I then put an acrylic strip round the edge and filled it with bondo.

I left the plastic strip on till I had sanded the top completely smooth.

I then cut out the centre and started carving in the symbols using a fine Dremel bit.

[​IMG]

I used a knife and various needle files to add the edge damage (following reference pics as closely as possible)

The centre wall was then added, just a thin strip of card, it is at a slight angle, so I cut notches curved the wall inward and smoothed it over with spot filler.

[​IMG]

I used the same thin card to add formers for the raised details and triangle that come off of the centre.

[​IMG]

I then melted lumps of carving wax up over the little formers and carved them to the proper shape, using a tooth pick.

[​IMG]

Final touch was to add in these tiny scratches, again sticking as close as possible to my reference.

gtg now, more tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  11. madmanmoe64

I'd like to point out that these pictures aren't in strict chronological order, they're grouped together by piece.
    Also that they represent al lot of work, planning, sketching trying and failing etc to get the final piece. That last post spans about 6 weeks of work.

[​IMG]

Bit of an abstract image , but all these paper circles were laminated together to create the dome shape for the centre of the compass.

The whole thing was then spot filled and wet sanded on a lathe to give this.

[​IMG]

I then made a 1 part silicone mould.

[​IMG]

And began castings, anyone who has ever tried to cast with clear resin knows how tricky it can be.

[​IMG]
    First cast, the surface didn't cure and was sticky, I polished it up just to see if it was useable, but all the gunk I cleaned off meant it was about 2mm too small and didn't fit.

[​IMG]
    Second cast, I pre-heated the mould, the surface did cure, but too fast which meant it pulled away from the surface leaving an odd, crinkly texture.

When I cast another I think it will help to reduce the amount of catalyst used, but for this one I just wet sanded the dome down to 3000 and then hand polished it and it looked really good.

Don't have the dome on it's own but you will see it in the final picture.
    All that's left is the main body, and then lots of moulding / casting.

12. wildabeast

wildabeast Sr Member

awesome to see how this was made

13. madmanmoe64

Internet has been down for almost 24 hours, which puts a bit of a crimp in my daily updates plan. :cry
    Unfortunately there aren't many more pictures anyway, because I lost a whole bunch when my laptop died.
    So it's going to jump from rough looking casts to the one finished picture I recovered from my image host.

Proper update tomorrow of what trying to weave epoxy putty looks like. :)

14. Alan Castillo

The intricate effect you achieved here with such 'simplicity' is admirable !

Really, really well done !

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

15. madmanmoe64

Thanks, it's always nice when an idea pans out. It was slow work, about two hours with a tooth pick poking filler into gaps to achieve that effect. But not too taxing, so I did it while watching T.V .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. madmanmoe64

Photos are early today, because i'm having to post this from Uni (still no internet at home).

[​IMG]

The main body was constructed out of layers of grey cardboard, just like before, nothing too complicated.
    I intentionally misaligned the layers on that edge to make it easier when applying the detailing.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the beading added to the underside.

[​IMG]

And a close up of the inside detailing, I tried really hard to copy reference for these bits and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is definitely one of the odder ideas I've ever had.
    Epoxy putty has a 3-4 hour working time so I had to work fast, most of the time was spent trying to roll long, consistent 'sausages' which I did using a sheet of perspex.

I then put all the strands in their starting positions and began to weave, because the rolling had taken a good 90 minutes I actually didn't have too much trouble with the putty trying to stick to itself.

[​IMG]

I didn't do stage by stage on the side detailing, but it was a similar process. I sculpted the eyes first then did the vines around those.
    This picture shows it after filling and a quick prime, I quite like the odd ivory/porcelain look of it :)

Long post today, almost done.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  17. madmanmoe64

Although the moulds weren't too hard to make, I'm quiet proud of these.
    I'd got the knack of drawing hexagons while constructing the pieces, so it made sense to make hexagonal moulds too.
    And I've recently started using dome nuts for location, so the whole thing came out fairly neat.

[​IMG]

The lid mould is similar to above, only it got a bit messy around the central thorn area, I'd like to redo it if I have time.

The rest are just one part moulds, cast against an MDF side.

[​IMG]
    Lid

[​IMG]
    Detail

[​IMG]
    Centre Dial

[​IMG]
    Detail

[​IMG]
    Main Body

[​IMG]
    Side

These were all cast up using generic polyester casting resin. The kind that starts of a purplish colour and cures to a see through, yellowish type hue.

But I happened to use graphite powder to dust the moulds with (didn't have any talc) and it meant the casts came out a kind of iridescent black, which looked really cool.

I was worried the resin was too thick for this job, but it picked up the detail really well and there were only a few bubbles, mostly on the vines.

This is where the pictures run out :cry, due to the afore mentioned computer crash. From here I filled the holes then went on to priming.

The paint job was probably the hardest bit to figure out, I'll try to describe it in the next post, which will also have the finished piece :D

18. madmanmoe64

[​IMG]

Ta-Da!

The finished product. Luckily I uploaded this final pic to an image host before my laptop died.

The paint job had me scratching my head for ages, and there was a lot of test pieces.

The first problem was how to get a really rich gold colour. Here's a few things I tried.

1. Airbrush it gold and then do dark washes to tone it down.
    - didn't look great, and had a hard time keeping the raised areas shiny looking.

2. Simply paint black, then dry-brush it gold
    - Effect was good but it ended up looking more silver than gold, obviously something about dry-brushing didn't agree with my airbrush paint.

3. Rub n' Buff gold wax, dry brushed on.
    - We have a winner.

For anyone who hasn't come across Rub n' Buff it's a gold wax type compound that you can either dry brush or rub on with a finger.

The inside of the compass is near impossible to see in reference pictures, I thought it was probably of wooden construction so I went for a very dark brown / black, dry brushed over with a lighter shade to give it some texture.

[​IMG]
    Test Piece

[​IMG]
    Close Up

The verdi-gri / mould areas I had been mulling over for a while now, I mixed up a relatively thick plaster solution with a turquoise paint and then with a very dry brush stippled it on.

I did a bit of testing with this (see above), trying different approaches, some with lots of paint, but in the end deciding to use very little.

I did 3 tones, one that was very dark almost black, driest brush possible and really rammed it into all the tiny recesses.
    Then a mid-tone, with slightly more on my brush.
    And a final light tone where I was much more gentle.

I didn't do this all over but tried to make it look as if it had grown or spread from certain areas, the hinge being particularly heavy because it would trap water etc.

Significantly less of this was done on the inside, and during the whole process I had a cloth to wipe off the surface to make sure The tops of the vines stayed shiny.

This constant wiping did remove some paint, so it got one final dry-brush with the gold and it was finished.

I also have these shots Wildabeast snapped when he received his present (hope you don't mind me including them here?).

They're taken indoors so the flash makes all the details look far brighter than they actually are (the lid interior is almost black).

But they let you see some different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is, the finished product. I still have all the moulds as well as plenty of paint and amber resin so I'm going to order some better resin for the main parts and cast myself up one.

I was going to put up an interest thread but it's such an obscure piece that I doubt I'd find even one buyer.

19. wildabeast

wildabeast Sr Member

Again...this piece is awesome to hold in my hand....it has become the center piece w/ O_B's journal to my Hellboy collection...Thanks again for the awesome gift

20. madmanmoe64

I've decided to try my luck and put up an interest thread in the Junkyard.
    Since I spent so much time making these moulds, It'd be nice to just make some money back to invest in my next prop.

Also bump for Friday night.

21. madmanmoe64

22. Phelyx

Phelyx Member

Re: Hellboy Corpse Locator Scratch Build - 2nd Build Up

Pretty great work. I made the one in the film, and produced some for sale a while back from a few of my original molds and masters.
    Really interesting to see how you did yours. One trick I used on the original was sculpting 1 master for each of the 6 "pie slices" so they all link together. You chose the less lazy way and actually sculpted the lid as a single piece. Nice!
    I'm glad you liked this prop enough to take on a project like this!

23. madmanmoe64

I did think about trying to cast up copies of the detail and then apply them to my card box, but I never imagined doing it your way.

The main difference is that mine isn't perfectly symmetrical, and each side will look a little different, hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

People were asking about copies of this in the JunkYard, so I thought I would just post up a few pictures to show that I am still working on this, but University work prevents me from making any real progress.

[​IMG]

I cast this ages ago when I first got my resin, but then it sat on my desk for ages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the detail I get with urethane resin, there is the occasional bubble, but that's to be expected.

[​IMG]

I also sourced some better hinges and bearings. The hinges I had before came with pins not screws and I was worried that the lid may not be too secure, now it shouldn't be a problem.

Since finishing the original I've re-moulded the lid, because the casts I was getting needed way too much clean up. All I need to do now is remake one final bit and then I should have a full set of pieces for another build up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  24. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

Have you thought about casting the "orange stone" in the middle in a translucent resin with orange dye so you can add LEDs underneath?

25. madmanmoe64

It was cast in clear resin with amber tint.

Admittedly I put a tad too much dye in that cast.

I have no plans to put LEDs in it, but Phelyx did do one like that, I just prefer it without.

[​IMG]

This is a first rough test one
    As you can see it is translucent. The problem is that when it's sat in its surround then it looks a lot darker. The final one will have only a touch of dye.

26. Phelyx

Phelyx Member

I cast the center amber dome in clear resin with amber dye just like yours, but I painted the back (the flat bottom) with silver metallic so it reflects light back up through the amber. I inscribed some semi-circular lines into the silver to imply indicator markings.
    I made one with a "flicker" LED inside (without the silver backing), but my wise and lovely wife said that with the flickery lights in it, it suddenly seemed more like a toy than an actual ancient relic, so I didn't make mine with that option. :)

27. madmanmoe64

I painted the piece behind it gold, and tried, best as I could, to copy the lines.
    I'll try painting directly on to the back of the dome next time.

28. haldir

haldir New Member

I'm a great fan of hellboy and i said "whouhhh" when i saw your project !!it "s very accurate and well done !!
    i'm interested in your run of course!

29. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

Thats why I thought it was casting in solid resin as you said its darker in the box but when you do the run im very intrested in put the leds behind to see the difference.. But excellent effort!! kudos

30. madmanmoe64

There's plenty of space under the dial for a 3V coin cell, all you would need to do is carve out a hole for the LEDs to sit in.
    Just the problem of how to switch it on.
    Maybe twisting the dial can activate it :)

I might have to make one light up now just to see what it looks like.

31. madmanmoe64

Whilst there's nothing really to show I just wanted to let people know I am, slowly, getting on with this.
    I spent a lot of time adjusting the piece that holds the ring and the bearing in place.
    I also made a jig for sanding the ring so that it spins perfectly, as it's quite a tight fit in the box.

Next I just need to figure out the hinge. Last time I just ground down one side of the lid at an angle, so that it would open properly. I'm going to see if I can come up with a better solution, or at least tidy it up.

32. Alan Castillo

I think it'll look great !

And I also think you'll have to make more than one eventually :lol

33. madmanmoe64

Most of the time on this is still being spent trying to accurately machine the spinning parts (I think I'm on prototype 4 now?)

But I also went back to casting up domes.

[​IMG]

This is the latest one, highly polished, and with only a drop of tint in it (still a bit too much?)

[​IMG]

following a tip from the original creator I painted the back gold (I think he said silver)
    It's almost impossible to capture in picture, but the piece then takes on a weird iridescent quality, similar to Tiger Eye. I spent quite a while staring at it and playing with the reflections.

[​IMG]

This is after I etched some lines into the back.

Now for a boring bit on casting technique.
    So far I've been casting this in a two part mould with the dome sitting vertically on its edge, this has led to bubbles along one edge.

Also the dome tends to come out of the mould with a tacky surface.
    I have had mixed success with either preheating the mould or gently heating it in the oven a few hours after pouring, both of which cause the piece to cure, but it pulls away from the surface of the mould leaving an odd crinkly texture.

I've decided to try pouring this laying flat as a 1 part mould, which I'm hoping should alleviate some of these problems, but if anyone has experience casting clear polyester resins, any tips would be appreciated.

34. madmanmoe64

I've been working on this slowly, but got distracted when someone mentioned putting lights in.

Anyway I figured I needed to get on with this, I wanted to have the for sale thread up by next weekend, but I've been roped into doing the London to Brighton bike ride this weekend, so I thought I'd better get on with some work tonight.
    I finished adjusting the masters and tidying up the moulds and then I cast up a full set.

[​IMG]

That's all 6 pieces being cast up (there are two dome moulds)

[​IMG]

And one full set of parts (dome still curing). This is what you will receive in the kit, including a bearing and a set of hinges.
    I'm going to do a build up of this kit and then post some better pictures of both options in the jy by next weekend.

I've also been experimenting with lighting underneath, If I get a prototype done by next weekend I may add it as an option. I'm currently waiting on a new fine tip for my soldering iron.

Now it's 5am and I'm going to bed.

35. madmanmoe64

I've finished building up my first couple of compass's and the for sale thread will be up soon. The following few posts will be a better documentation of the build up of one of the kits, partly because all my original pictures got lost, also to act as a bit of a tutorial.

This is one full kit of parts.
    [​IMG]

First up is pretty standard clean up, removing flash and filling in lil' bubbles.

Occasionally one or two of the tiny thorns won't be properly formed, so they'll need fixing. You can use bondo, but given how small they are I prefer to use milliput, which is how I sculpted the original.
    [​IMG]

Also the side of the compass at the top of the mould is prone to sub surface bubbles, you can just paint over them but, for a long lasting paint job, I prefer to open them up and fill them with bondo.
    [​IMG]

I spent a fair bit of time lathing the moving parts to make sure they spin smoothly. The centre dials can sometimes be off by as much as 1mm so I made this jig to make sure I get them spinning perfectly round.
    [​IMG]

Also when cleaning hp the seam on the lid don't go overboard sanding it completely smooth, there is supposed to be a linear texture running round the edge, so don't go taking it all off.

The same can be said for building this up in general. Don't go OTT trying to smooth things out like you might on other builds. Any texture you leave looks great when you dry brush it with gold, and just looks a bit off and fake if you try to smooth it out too much.

36. madmanmoe64

There is no good reference material for the hinge area of the compass so I just put a slot in the side of the main body, that way it can accomodate lots of different hardware.

If you are going to use the supplied hinges (not 100% screen accurate but pretty close) then you will need to make a small shim out of 1mm styrene.

[​IMG]

I cut it to length then used a piece of scrap card to wedge it against the inner wall while it glued in place.

[​IMG]

Once it had dried I took out the card and trimmed it to the right height.
    Then using the hinges as a template I marked some holes.

[​IMG]

The holes should be as close to the top edge as possible (those above are slightly too low)

Then you need to carefully drill and countersink those holes.

[​IMG]

Then do a quick test fitting of the hinges.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  37. madmanmoe64

There seems to have been a lot of interest in seeing a lit version.
    I'm still undecided on whether or not it needs it, but I made a quick prototype anyway (Its powered externally for these pics but in a final version it will be powered by a single cr2016 coin battery)
    [​IMG]

The light comes from 3 tiny surface mount LEDs. I also cast the central bearing piece in clear resin, then rough sanded it to diffuse the light a bit better.

When You have just a clear dome there is far too much light coming through, So I did a couple of domes with bits in to deflect the light a little more, but my favourite is with the back of the dome painted gold, and a few extra scratches in it. This just lets very subtle amounts of light through, and looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

As with any lit piece it was a nightmare to photograph so I'm putting up a series of diffferent shots. including a gif of my favourite.

[​IMG]
    Lights diffused through centre pivot, with no dome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dome filled with gold leaf.

[​IMG]
    Dome with crinkle pattern down back.

[​IMG]
    'Standard' dome with additional scratches.

[​IMG]
    View through lid.

[​IMG]

As I've said I think the subtle one with just scratches of light coming through works best.

In terms of selling these I'm thinking of charging:

£10 to add this to the kit, you would receive a finished led module and a clear centre pivot instead of an opaque one, including the screws needed to hold them together.
    There is a bit of fiddling needed to get the led board to sit flush with the clear pieces (drilling recesses for the leds etc)

or £15 if you want this added onto a finished piece.

let me know what you think and I'll add the option(s) to the for sale thread here:
    http://www.therpf.com/f13/hellboy-corpse-locator-compass-run-140334/

38. tonykch

tonykch Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right. That looks fantastic!

Will it have a switch for turning on and off?

39. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cha-ching!!

Looks great...well worth the upgrade cost! :thumbsup

40. madmanmoe64

I got a bit distracted from the tutorial type thing I was doing and have now built up all the pieces I was using for these photos. I'll finish this off when I'm doing the second run, but for now, if anyone who bought any of the kits wants to know anything specific, let me know and I'll pull out some older pictures and describe the process as best I can.

41. madmanmoe64

I'll pick the tutorial back up when I get to that stage in my production run.

But for now I wanted to show the build up of the light units, which I'm quite proud of.

At some stage I'd really like to start making my own PCB's but for now I'm still starting off with good old stripboard.

[​IMG]

I used a set of hole saws to cut rings out of the stripboard. You have to clamp this stuff really well or the drill will throw it around and snap it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This leaves me with some rough looking rings, as well as some tiny circular bits of stripboard, which I really have to find a use for.

[​IMG]

Once I have the rings cut out I tidy them up a bit with a Dremel sanding drum then use a cut off wheel to make these two small notches.

[​IMG]

The reason for the notches is to accomodate these battery contacts.

[​IMG]

Whilst not the way they were intended to be used, fitting them this way almost halves their height sticking up from the board and allows me to use a slimmer battery (CR2016 instead of the Cr2032). You'll see what I mean later.
    However, these battery contacts are one solid piece and only form the positive contact.

Once the boards are prepped I start by stitching the negative battery contact into place. Stitching?
    I'm using small gauge copper wire, which I actually bought for jewellery making.

[​IMG]

The problem here was that I need a large contact area, on the opposite side of the board to the copper traces. I tried a few different solutions, including conductive paint (very high resistance) and glueing foil to the board.

[​IMG]

This method proved to be the easiest and most reliable.

The next step is to solder the positive battery contact into place, as well as soldering the ends of the copper wire to one of the traces.

[​IMG]

I had trouble finding surface mount switches in the U.K so I ended up ordering from China. It took a month but they are really nice and small.

[​IMG]

These also aren't being attached by standard means, because they need soldering to the non-copper side of the board.

So I start of by simply epoxy-ing them in place. I also add epoxy to the battery clip to strengthen it.

[​IMG]

I then do some more sewing with copper wire.

[​IMG]

And then a quick bit of solder, so now this switch is connected to the traces on the other side.

[​IMG]

That's all for today, They're looking quite clean atm, but once I start putting resistors and running wires all over the place it gets very messy.

That's fine though, the reason it's set up like this is so that the leds are on the copper side, then everything else is on the opposite side, which allows the board to sit flat against the clear pivot piece, this will hopefully all be clearer when I get round to pics of installing it.

42. madmanmoe64

I've got a stack of 7 light modules completed, I'm gonna hold off on pictures until I've installed one into the clear resin pivot piece so that you can see the full module.

Today I did finally get down to my shed and start casting again, so I've started cranking out the plastic parts and by tomorrow I will have a fresh clear pivot piece to install one of my light rings in.

43. fivetonine

fivetonine New Member

That epoxy "weaving" really gives me some ideas... How easy was it closer to the end of hardening time? I'm thinking of something much simpler, but much bigger.

Second question: How did you scale this? Did you try to make a movie-accurate size or something that "seemed right" in your hand? Seeing as Hellboy has hands much larger than the average human, I am very interested how you found the sizes...

44. madmanmoe64

As you probably know, epoxy putty goes through various stages. I spent the first 2 hours rolling out long strands because this is when the material is most malleable. It also tends to be a bit sticky at this stage which can be annoying.

By the time I started weaving though, it had lost some of its tackiness and didn't stick to itself too much. But I had to work quickly, by the end of three hours it was getting brittle and beginning to crack when I bent it too much. Past three hours I was able to flatten everything out a bit and add damage etc, but for the actual weaving don't plan on going much past three hours.

I struggled to get these pieces done in time, if you give me an idea of what you wanted to make I may be able to advise you, or just have a crack at it and see what happens (epoxy putty is relatively cheap)

Phelyx, the creator of the original prop posted pictures in his thread here:

Unfortunately they are all inactive now, but among them was a picture of the prop in his hand. This was pretty much my whole basis for the scale.

I used my own hand as a base and scaled everything from this, then drew up plans in Vectorworks and used those to cut out my inital templates.

I know that my copy is off in a few key places, but very few people (even on here) could tell the difference.

45. JMANTAM

JMANTAM Member

I like how the gem in the middle was made

46. madmanmoe64

Light module cont.

The rest of the connections are made by some thin gauge hook up wire and resistors.

[​IMG]

Once the majority of the components are in and I've tested it, I then file all the big lumps of solder to a nice low profile, so that the board will sit closely against the clear piece.

[​IMG]

Now for the tricky bit, the LEDs, I start by adding a small blob of solder to each pad.

[​IMG]

Then I add some flux to the copper tracks and use an electronics clamp to hold the LED onto the board. Then I have to carefully heat the copper track until the solder melts and the LED should nicely settle onto the board.

[​IMG]

It's a bit tricky without proper solder reflow equipment, but very satisfying once you get the hang of it.

[​IMG]

This is how the clear pivot pieces come out of the mould.

[​IMG]

Firstly I trim the spout and then rough up the face to better diffuse light. Don't sand anything else, this resin shrinks more than urethane so the piece is already a loose fit.

Next I sink some holes into the back for the LEDS to sit in, I also drill some holes to match the screw holes I made in the stripboard.

[​IMG]

A quick test fit.

[​IMG]

The board is then removed and the pivot is glued into a centre dial.

[​IMG]

This is fairly delicate operation. Firstly the pivot must be glued with it's back completely flat to the dial. This is so that the pivot is perpendicular to the dial, otherwise your dial will be wonky when it spins.
    You also have to make sure that when you glue it all in place that the switch on the board will line up with one of the notches in the dial, do a test fitting and make some marks.

That being said the process goes a bit like this:
    - mix up some clear epoxy and add a few modest blobs to the back of the amber dome (which has already been gilded and scratched).
    - press it onto the clear pivot piece making sure it is centred.
    - add a good layer of epoxy around the perimeter of the pivot piece and then carefully place it into the dial.
    - clamp the whole piece to a solid backing (steel rulers) making sure the pivot and dial are flush.

:wacko

Tricky, but important. Once dry you can then reattach the light board. Here you can see how the switch lines up with one of the notches in the dial, you can activate the lights with a toothpick if you don't want to remove the dial.

[​IMG]

Then flip it over and test it out.

[​IMG]

There's not much left of the tutorial, just some detailing I added to the lid as well as all the painting technique.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  47. Phelyx

Phelyx Member

48. madmanmoe64

Luckily I saved them all to my hard drive, because they were such an amazing reference material.
    ^ Everyone else, check out the original in all its glory ^

Also I really love the resurrection amulet concept. If it weren't for that picture in the middle (is that hand painted!) I might try to knock one up to sit next to my locator (if I ever get time to build one for myself). I think they make a good pair.

49. Phelyx

Phelyx Member

Unfortunately I have sort of freakish hands, so using that as reference might be a little off - but still close enough to be a really excellent replica. :)
    I just measured one of mine and it's 3.5in diameter across the top from flat side to the adjacent flat side, and 4in diameter from point to point. Each of the six sides is 2in. The "wall" around the outside is 1 inch high, and since the top lid and bottom are slightly convex, the result is just a little over 2 inches high. the inner ring is approximately 2.75in diameter. There's an indent on the underside of the lid that roughly matches the dome, so that the dome comes up into the lid and almost touches the sculpted vines in the lid where the openings are.

50. tonykch

tonykch Well-Known Member

I just grabbed my corpse locator and a tape measure:

On the replica, the measurement from flat side to flat side on the top is 3 9/16 (1/16" off), and from point to point is 4 inches (PERFECT!). The sides are 2 inches (PERFECT AGAIN!). The "wall" around the outside is 1 inch high (THAT'S THREE PERFECT ONES!), and with the top and bottom lid it's 1 5/8" (3/8" off). The inner ring is 2 3/4" inches in diameter (BACK TO PERFECT!) and the dome is probably about 1/16" from touching the vines where the openings are.

All in all, other than the height, that's pretty darn accurate from going off a guesstimate of the size! I for one am VERY impressed!