He-178, the world's first turbojet aircraft

UK museums used to be good for the same kind of deal. Dunno if they still are, hope so but won't be holding my breath on my next visit. Did you see the Blohm und Voss hohenjager prototype too? I worry for that thing.

The Horten seems like a no-brainer for a new-build flyable replica. Original available for reference, steel tube and ply structures, plenty of room for a pair of modern jets...MUST be doable, why hasn't anyone? It's not totally obscure any more, it's exotic, good-looking...surely there's some love for it out there somewhere?

Is anyone not? Loved Vasquez's stuff since JTHM. I pull out Filler Bunny and read it once or twice a year and just giggle uncontrollably. My wife even has Gir t-shirts, wears them to work sometimes...sheesh...grown woman, arrested development case, mutter, grumble. :)

I have all of the Zim action figures. Only the first wave is out of the box, though. They were packed with so many cool accessories, that I ran out of space. But even in the package, they're so damn cool.

When I was first tinkering with an idea for a tattoo, I was going to get this

invaderzim.jpg

Speaking of Zim, I want to make a garden gnome for my home to the "Zim scale" and look, lol!

In 1998, I had a private tour of the NASM Me-262 (all I did was call the curator and got a free 1 hour walk around an hour before open, on a Saturday!) and I took a tour of the Garber Facility in Silver Hill MD. On that tour, I touched:

The Volksjager (stuck my hand in the hole that was drilled into the canopy
The Horten Ho-229 (wings up against the wall, main central structure still on that dolly - poor thing is delaminating like MAD)
The Enola Gay (it was in pieces)
The Close Encounters Mothership (it was THROWN IN A CORNER all dusty)
The Canadian Avrocar
The Pogo

and I saw the Japanese Kikka, but it was hanging from the rafters, and out of reach. LOL

Our docent was a cool guy - I wish they still gave those tours. All the planes were FILTHY and rotting, though, and in non-climate controlled hangars.

A laser-shooting lawn gnome would be awesome :lol. It would certainly make quick work of all those pesky Watchtower religious people that won't take no, for an answer.

I have a large size GIR, that I was going to add electronics to, in the way of voice and lights, but the cost outgrew the interest.

It's a damn shame the way history is just allowed to rot away in some old warehouse.

But didn't NASA build a full scale 229, out of the same materials, to test it's stealth capability?.

And I know there was some company (one of the model companies Tamiya? RoG?) that made a full scale plastic Spitfire. Can you imagine the amount of glue you would need? Or the size of the dish you would need to soak the decals in? :lol:lol:lol

-Fred

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back