He-178, the world's first turbojet aircraft

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

After months of hunting, chasing, and researching, I was finally able to track down this elusive kit, the Condor 1:48 Heinkel HE-178. As far as I can discern, this is the only 1:48 kit of the V-1. There are a few 1:72 kits of both the V-1 and the V-2. The 1:48 kit is a short-run release, and it is riddled with all the problems of short run productions

For those not in the know, the He-178 was the first practical jet aircraft. Most people will argue it's the Me-262, but the He-178 was flying, while the 262 was still on the drawing board.

Unfortunately, the RLM wasn't interestested in persuing a jet aircraft that under-performed existing prop fighters. So, after 12 flights, it was hangered in the aviation museum, which was destroyed in an allied bombing run, in 1943.

So, the kit has its problems - for instance, there are 27 parts in the kit, and only 2 steps in the directions (3 if you include the painting guide). It has a fret of PE, but the instructions only mention 2 of the 9 pieces, with only arrows pointing to where they might go. The parts also lack guide pins or location guides. So there's no definite alignment. It's a "get it close, glue and clamp it in place, and hope it's right" type of build.

The final problem, is the paint guide - not so much the guide, but the color choice. The instructions say the fuselage is bare metal and RLM 02 (a light tan), But of the 4 or 5 archival pictures that exist, the color is much darker. I have taken several examples of models painted in RLM 02 and tried every trick in photoshop to get the colors to match. It just doesn't work.

So, I settled on Tamiya German grey XF-63. I think it's the most likely candidate, and I'll show you why in the pictures.

Here's my build, in normal color

He-178_2.jpg

The archive photo

Heinkel_He_178_050602-F-1234P-002.jpg

And my photo, desaturated and little bit of film grain, thrown in

He-178_2BW.jpg

Anyway, sorry if I've bored anyone with the history lesson.

Enjoy

-Fred

Last edited:
Far from it. I didn't know there even was a 1/48 kit of this. Nice work!

Anyone who argues the Me262 was first is a dilletante. :lol The He280 also flew before the Me262, as did the Gloster E.28/39.

Thanks, Nwerke. The 280 and the E.28/39 are possibly even more obscure than the 178 :lol.

The 280 gets lost because the 178 was the real first turbojet aircraft, but the 280 was the first turbojet fighter. And while it looks like the 262, the 262 is more "famous". So it really doesn't get the love it deserves.

But I do love the look of it, with the twin tails. I may have to track down a kit of it, once I get through the few that are still in my stash.

-Fred

Yep, the Me262 was not the first. It sure was pretty for it's day and I'd take a real one sitting in my hanger all day long. It would be nice if someone had a kit using current technology. I'd build one and fly it all the time.

558461_455474154487251_309148539_n.jpg

Nice! Color choice looks good.

Does the kit have the option of having open landing gear doors?

Yep, the Me262 was not the first. It sure was pretty for it's day and I'd take a real one sitting in my hanger all day long. It would be nice if someone had a kit using current technology. I'd build one and fly it all the time.

Are you talking a model kit, or a real-deal kit? It's hard to tell, because if you go over on finescale, you'll read stories all day about how, after building a kit, some peole like to "fly" them around the room (psst...some people are nuts :lol).

If you want a large-scale model, to satiate you - hasegawa does an awesome 1:32 scale kit

Finished_1.jpg

Nice! Color choice looks good.

Does the kit have the option of having open landing gear doors?

Unfortunately, no. The thing is, the real plane had the wheel wells riveted shut, for all of its flights, even though it was designed with retractable gear. I'm guessing the picture above, was taken prior to its first flight. I considered opening the wells, but having closed wells, is technically correct for this plane.

-Fred

A few years ago a company in Germany built five I think, brand new Me262's with modern engines

Oh - it's a Eduard 1/48 Heinkel He-280, in case you want to get one. I might get another and re-do this, since my skills have improved dramatically, lol! I have BOXES of kits like this - a lot of Unicraft I'm never going to build (they are so irritatingly crappy), and a half-done 1/18th MPM Me-262 that I will never finish, because I'm now a much better model maker, and to me the work I did on the cockpit is "clownshoes" ;)

I do have a bunch of Horten wings and Blohm und Voss nut-ball designs that I like to pull out of storage and ogle every now and then. I need to build some of these, in between the big client stuff I do!! You're inspiring me with this thread, man, awesome work!

How did it take off and land?

Just like my picture of the kit shows - the wheels were fixed in the down position. My guess is that they unbolted the gears from the retraction hydraulics, and affixed them to the well doors.

Oh - it's a Eduard 1/48 Heinkel He-280, in case you want to get one. I might get another and re-do this, since my skills have improved dramatically, lol! I have BOXES of kits like this - a lot of Unicraft I'm never going to build (they are so irritatingly crappy), and a half-done 1/18th MPM Me-262 that I will never finish, because I'm now a much better model maker, and to me the work I did on the cockpit is "clownshoes" ;)

I do have a bunch of Horten wings and Blohm und Voss nut-ball designs that I like to pull out of storage and ogle every now and then. I need to build some of these, in between the big client stuff I do!! You're inspiring me with this thread, man, awesome work!

Well, I'll be damned - I never though I'd inspire the person who inspired me to be a better modeler. I gotta say, Jason, I've admired your work for as long as I can remember.

How is the Eduard 280? I've built their 190, and I've got to say, it was one of the nicest kits, I've ever worked on. Except for one problem with the gun cowl, it went together effortlessly

FW190A-6.jpg

Looking good as usual!!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny :cool

-Fred

Dang that is nice!

Thanks, man - mutual admiration is a beautiful thing!

If I recall correctly, it was easier than a resin kit, not as nice as a Tamiya kit, lol!

Nothing goes together like a Tamiya kit. But if they increase in price by another $5, they better start building themselves :lol.

I have quite a few Tammy kits, but I'll save those for another thread :cool.

-Fred

Thanks, Nwerke. The 280 and the E.28/39 are possibly even more obscure than the 178 :lol.

You want obscure? I've actually touched the wing of the Gloster E.1/44 - the only surviving part, no less. :lol

But I do love the look of it, with the twin tails. I may have to track down a kit of it

Ditto on both counts!

A few years ago a company in Germany built five I think, brand new Me262's with modern engines

Texas actually, but to the correct German/metric specs. Owner of the company is German.

I have BOXES of kits like this - a lot of Unicraft I'm never going to build (they are so irritatingly crappy), and a half-done 1/18th MPM Me-262 that I will never finish, because I'm now a much better model maker, and to me the work I did on the cockpit is "clownshoes"

Nice stuff, Jason, don't run it down! And oh ain't they ever, on the Unicraft stuff. Love the B&V weirdness. A BV P205 is high on my list if I ever get properly back into radio control - it's conventional enough, but just so beautiful. Ditto a BV P209 and P210 - I actually have a balsa and foam chuck-glider version of the P210, roughed out to establish COG and so on. Old school. :)

I do have a bunch of Horten wings and Blohm und Voss nut-ball designs that I like to pull out of storage and ogle every now and then.

Did you pick up that recent 1/18 Ho229 kit? Damn, that thing's nice.

Fred, speaking of admiration, I've always loved your sig. :)

You want obscure? I've actually touched the wing of the Gloster E.1/44 - the only surviving part, no less. :lol

Fred, speaking of admiration, I've always loved your sig. :)

Another Invader Zim fan? I thought I was the only one :cool. My GF (at the time) was an au pair, so this was something she had watched with the kids. And after she got me to watch a few episodes, I was hooked. It really was one of those great cartoons, that appeals to everyone.

You should make that your next diorama - just someone touching a wing fragment. I'd like to see some AMPS judge tell you it's wrong, then LOL.

:eek is all I can manage to say about that 190 right now!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. It really does look pretty bad ass, sitting on the shelf. Best part, is that 99% of that, is right out of the box. I just added some minor detail to finish it up.

-Fred

Another Invader Zim fan? I thought I was the only one :cool.

Is anyone not? Loved Vasquez's stuff since JTHM. I pull out Filler Bunny and read it once or twice a year and just giggle uncontrollably. My wife even has Gir t-shirts, wears them to work sometimes...sheesh...grown woman, arrested development case, mutter, grumble. :)

You should make that your next diorama - just someone touching a wing fragment. I'd like to see some AMPS judge tell you it's wrong, then LOL.

I'd like a model of the whole plane, TBH. It was a tidy little thing. Single-engined 'backup plan' fighter in case the Meteor hit problems.

BTW, speaking of 190s, did you know someone set up a firm to build 'new production' replicas a few years back? I.e. as close to authentic as possible. A friend who keeps up with warbird stuff better than I do tells me that unfortunately, they had some major quality control issues.

Speaking of Zim, I want to make a garden gnome for my home to the "Zim scale" and look, lol!

In 1998, I had a private tour of the NASM Me-262 (all I did was call the curator and got a free 1 hour walk around an hour before open, on a Saturday!) and I took a tour of the Garber Facility in Silver Hill MD. On that tour, I touched:

The Volksjager (stuck my hand in the hole that was drilled into the canopy
The Horten Ho-229 (wings up against the wall, main central structure still on that dolly - poor thing is delaminating like MAD)
The Enola Gay (it was in pieces)
The Close Encounters Mothership (it was THROWN IN A CORNER all dusty)
The Canadian Avrocar
The Pogo

and I saw the Japanese Kikka, but it was hanging from the rafters, and out of reach. LOL

Our docent was a cool guy - I wish they still gave those tours. All the planes were FILTHY and rotting, though, and in non-climate controlled hangars.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back