Hats of The Sandlot

MattgomeryBurns

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've long been after the hats seen in The Sandlot, especially Small's fishing hat and "C" hat given to him by Benny. I figured this would be a good thread to identify all of the hats worn by the boys in the movie.

Scotty Smalls' fishing hat
I've spent countless hours on eBay and Etsy running various searches for vintage fishing hats without any luck. There's a pretty crappy looking replica that's available but it is way off. I'm starting to think it was made specifically for production.

Original
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 1.23.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-29 at 12.42.51 AM.png

Replica
Fishing hat replica.jpg

Scotty Small's "C" hat
It's been speculated that it's an old UCLA hat (which makes sense if the boys are living in Southern CA). I recently found a vintage baseball hat with a C on eBay. I was almost certain this was the same hat, but once I got in hand and compared it to screen grabs, the C is off slightly. Mine is a little lower on the hat and the ends of the C are too close together. Still, I'm happy with this one so I'm going to consider it a win.

Original
636635586983355360-SMALLS.jpgTom-Guiry-as-Scotty-Smalls-in-The-Sandlot-tom-guiry-24442227-1360-768.jpgCW-721-B0061f.jpg

Replica
IMG_0482.JPG

Benny "The Jet" Rodriquez's Dodgers hat
There are so many iterations of vintage-style Dodgers hats, it's pretty impossible to pinpoint which one he wears in the movie. I haven't done a deep dive into his hat, but when I needed one for a quick cosplay, I ordered a New Era MLB Retro Classic 59FIFTY version.

Original
Benny Dodgers hat original 1.jpgBenny Dodgers hat original 2.jpg

Replica
Benny Dodgers hat replica 1.jpgBenny Dodgers hat replica 2.jpg

Kenny DeNunez's KC hat
It's a Kansas City Monarchs hat from the Negro League. Both Starter and a company called American Needle have produced replicas. Ebbet's Field also produced a version but not the same model worn by DeNunez.

Original
Kenny KC hat original.jpg

Replica (Starter)
Kenny KC hat Starter.jpg

Replica (American Needle)
Kenny KC hat American Needle.jpg

Feel free to contribute to this list. I'd love to see what you come up with.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back