Hasbro TIE conversion

NAZGÛL

Sr Member
I got so inspired by Keiths thread about his Hasbro AT-ST mod :love(http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=71959) I decided Id show an earlyer toy mod Ive made of the TIE Fighter.

It was a massive rework with interior, detailing, scribing, wingedges (that was the worst) and lightning.

Here it is. Hope you like it!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's an awesome looking TIE, Naz but where are the details on what you did? You teased me elsewhere on this and I wanted to follow in your footsteps but I lost you path. :lol

one complaint i have about the tie is the loose wings, did you do something to them.

Nice work, I like the use of the LEDs. Are there plans to stash the batteries inside? This was always a problem when I tried to do an LED conversion (Had to stuff a pair of 9V's into the secondary hull of an Enterprise model, was never happy with the results).

That's an awesome looking TIE, Naz but where are the details on what you did? You teased me elsewhere on this and I wanted to follow in your footsteps but I lost you path. :lol

Thanks! Heres a build thread:
http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=6322

If you have any questions Id be happy to help! One tip would be to look for the new improved TIE toy as it seems to have many details I had to scratch build.

one complaint i have about the tie is the loose wings, did you do something to them.

Maybe you cant see but I glued, used putty and finally reshaped the release buttons with plastic at the top and bottom to get a more correct shape. I glued the wings and used putty to make them fully intigrated with the fuselage. You can see how I did in the link above.

Nice work, I like the use of the LEDs. Are there plans to stash the batteries inside? This was always a problem when I tried to do an LED conversion (Had to stuff a pair of 9V's into the secondary hull of an Enterprise model, was never happy with the results).

Ah I totally went for a prop look rather than a "realistic" look, so I decided to just let the wires come out at the mounting hole and connect to the batteries behind the stand. Feels ILM to me.

Thanks PHArchivist, Moocricket and CutThumb! Means alot to hear from you guys!

I don't have a login to the linked site, so I'll just ask some questions here.

First, praise. This looks GREAT.

So you started with the Hasbro toy. My knowledge is of the older Kenner toy, though I suspect that much of that previous mold was reused. But the Kenner mold was wildly inaccurate, particularly regarding a module extending out the rear that originally held batteries. But this one shows no signs of said part, instead with a fully detailed rear hatch/window and ion propulsion ports. So did this toy have that older battery housing or was this a new mold that was much more accurate to start with?

For that matter, I'm just assuming this is a 3 3/4" scale toy though the mention of loose panels suggests it is.

Thank you rougepink, this is what I started with:

4_bg.jpg

It is indeed a big winged version of the Kenner TIE. The third gun shows it. Hasbro did redesign the rear, making it closer to the original.

Heres a pic from the detailing:

detaljunder.jpg

bak555.jpg

The scratched and kitbashed interior:

intsida.jpg

img0496j.jpg

Last edited:
Oho! Each generation of Star Wars toys gets better. Mind you that I had lots of the originals starting back in 1977/78. State of the art toy sound effects at the time was a gear that spun over a plastic tab and made an irritating "skreeeeeeeee!" sound.

You did a fine job, especially the interior. Being intimately familiar with that part of the toy's design, I know how little you had to start with.

The ships get better...the action figures look like ass. Bad, cheesy, streaky blotchy, peppery weathering, huge joints, filmsy limbs, taffy plastic guns. Feh.

Your TIE looks sick though. Good job.

The ships get better...the action figures look like ass. Bad, cheesy, streaky blotchy, peppery weathering, huge joints, filmsy limbs, taffy plastic guns. Feh.

Your TIE looks sick though. Good job.

Hey, from where I started in '78, they look a whole lot better. The peak for the figures was between the release of the SE originals and the new episodes. The latest ones look flimsy though the face sculpts are pretty good.

Has anyone done a detailing of the newest Falcon toy? It looks like a much better starting point than the original Kenner one (still have!).

I'm a bit late to the party, but you did an excellent job on this model ! I have one of these and I can measure the amount of work you put into this ! :thumbsup

Hi great looking build. I saw this tie at the store the other day. Is this the same toy you used for your conversion?

Thanks! No mine is the earlier version with the wrong details. I had to scratch pretty much all details on mine. The new one with the better details should look good with wing edges fixed, and canopy glass cut out.

If you have any questions, I made a detailed walkthrough.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back