Hasbro Falcon in process

Jedi Dade

Master Member
Had a bit of spare time today so I took the Xacto to the Falcon...

Removing the sidewalls:

removing walls 1.jpgRemoving walls 2.jpg

Parts laid out - missing the feet for one of my landing gear... just noticed now...
parts laid out.jpg

Test fit the front mandible panel... Looks great.
test fit panel.jpg

Jedi Dade

You too, huh? Yeah, I've been figuring out orientation and location for each piece (there's a couple of tiny, rectangular pieces that were attached to something else, that I can't figure out what they belong to - on top of the cannons maybe?) doing an initial clean up on the parts (man, not much to do there!) and trying some test fits. I was looking at it today thinking that the walls are going to need to go for every spot that's got a resin sidewall. You alignment looks good on the mandible wall - did you line the resin wall up with where the existing wall had been, or did you find you needed to push it even further back?

I found that the entire existing wall needs to go top and bottom and that the new wall sits darn close to where the old one use to be. This requires some carving down to the inside of the hull to remove every spec of the original wall and a bit of the vertical supports that use to hold it up. I'm tempted to move the rear walls in even further but will wait to see how they all look once I've dry fitted everything.

I think carving all the walls out and notching the hulls took me about 3 hours and 4 Xacto blades total to get it to the spot in the photos...

As for cleaning the parts - yeah just a little bit of flash (tissue paper thin) and cutting off the pour stubs... pretty much done. And those landing gear baffle thingies... that is an amazing piece of casting there...

Jedi Dade

Thanks, yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Did you find that the hull still holds together on the screw posts once you remove the walls? Also, I notice you've got the kit cockpit on there - are you sticking with that one, or are you going to use the resin cockpit? I like the new one, but it seems like it might push the front of the cockpit window too far forward when I compare it against the 32" plans I have.

Thanks, yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Did you find that the hull still holds together on the screw posts once you remove the walls? Also, I notice you've got the kit cockpit on there - are you sticking with that one, or are you going to use the resin cockpit? I like the new one, but it seems like it might push the front of the cockpit window too far forward when I compare it against the 32" plans I have.

So I cut the "hooks" off the docking rings and the cockpit They now just slide on and friction fit where they are supposed to go. They tend to hold the hulls together along with all the other location pins in the ship. I find that all that holds it together "good enough" for dry-fitting although I have been using the odd bit of tape and clamps, just to give me that third hand you always need.

I'll lilkely use the new resin cockpit... but I haven't tried it out yet.

Jedi Dade

Yep Tony's set. I figured since I sent him a ton of reference for as well as micrometer measurements from my MR Falcon on all the details in the reference... I was kinda obligated to at least build 1 :D. But I got 2 sets from him, one for each Falcon I ordered. I plan to make one into a game prop for my SW RPG (with basic interior). And the other into a display piece. Both are guinea pigs for my painting and weathering for my DeAgostini Falcons...

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back